NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Car was hit. Need advice
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Car was hit. Need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject:  Car was hit. Need advice Reply with quote

Well long story short, my SS was hit while parked over the weekend. I worked it out with the persons insurance company and have an estimate for a great price.

The kicker is, I was going to buy my new Camaro today as a surprise. I had to call the dealer and let him know that thr damage is minor but nonetheless, my car needs to be fixed and it will show up on record that it was hit

The problem: I had a perfectly fine car and it had value still. It was appraised at 11k to trade in. Now it probably has lost at least a grand because of a senseless accident which again stinks.
Are there any ways to pursue loss of value on the car? Does it exist? This blows.

Now I need to sink money into my other car and I was trying to avoid that.

Thanks.

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You do have an opportunity to persue the other person for devaluing your property, but why don't you just see what the dealer is offering anyway?

How serious is the damage to the car? If it was not a serious accident I wouldn't expect it to pull much value from the car... it's not a rare model or anything. Nonetheless, have a good dealership fix it with all brand new OEM stuff. No point in getting a half-assed job done, especially going through insurance or someone else's pocket (the person at fault).

To have a solid case supporting a loss of value to the car, you would have to spend your own time and possibly more money (getting estimates, possibly consulting a lawyer, etc), plus a day in small claims court and whatever fees you would incur there.

Sucks that you are having some issues with the 2003, but really, the slow starting is not a huge expensive issue, although preventing future oil burning would cost you some coin. Hopefully you get the SS repaired and traded in at a fair value.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your input. I do appreciate it. However at the moment..... I miss my SS. Lol. Sniff.

It's getting all oem. My grandfather owns a shop and that's where the car is right now. It's in good hands. Like Allstate

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
MRANT212
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2008 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1988 Chevrolet Corvette
1971 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your grandfather hasnt started the work yet you may want to see about taking the check from the damages from the insurance company and trading your car in with the damage. You may have a chance in coming out ahead!!!. Just a thought here!!
Billoftt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For what it is worth, when my wife got rear ended three years ago, it took over 1.5 years for the lawyers to come to a settlement regarding the medical bills, the repair and the de-valuation of the car, plus they took out their “fair share” for services rendered. However, in the end I came out much better than going it alone. The only reason why I even went with the lawyer is because the accident statement stated that the other driver was clearly at fault when rear-ending a woman that was 8 months pregnant when the insurance company representing the offending party offered to pay for 75% of the repairs and my health insurance should cover the hospital bill. So, I hired the biggest ambulance chasing scumbag lawyer I could find.

I don’t know how it is in your state, but where I live, when another driver is at fault, the offending party has an obligation to pay the victim for loss of property. However, the victim IS NOT obligated to get that car fixed with the money paid to his/her person.

Also, from what I remember from when I sold cars, the repair shop at my dealership was not obligated to “report” damage made to their own property when repaired. (They could have been just “dirty” like that.)

So, my advice would be to look into how much less the trade-in is worth with the dealership that gave you the quote, balance that figure out with how much you would be receiving from the offending party, and if you come out breaking even or ahead, just roll with that. Technically, the payment received from the offending party is supposed to cover “Repairs-in-kind” that would be covered by the dealership that is to receive the vehicle, after they cover their losses of course.

Now, I am just a stranger on the internet and your state may vary, so I recommend you contact your insurance company to make sure you are legit. They have an extensive team of lawyers and experts at their disposal and that is one of the things you pay them for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: