NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Oil feed for turbo 3.4? Injector Sizes? Intercooler size?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Oil feed for turbo 3.4? Injector Sizes? Intercooler size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Power Adders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolraptor

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject:  Oil feed for turbo 3.4? Injector Sizes? Intercooler size? Reply with quote

Hey folks! First off, as they say, DONT HATE!!
2000 Impala, 3.4.

Where is everyone getting their turbo oil feed from? Iam assuming the Low/No Pressure switch on the front of the block, under the exhaust manifold?

Opinions on proper size injectors for the little 3.4 on ~6lbs boost? Was thinking stock l67 injectors? Stock pump OK or walbro255, etc?

Any of the turbo l67 guys car to tell me the physical dimensions of their front mount air-air intercoolers?

Again, DONT HATE!!!
Details to follow when finished, I promise

Razz

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
1995 Camaro~388 Stroker, turbo, 6speed, Drag car.
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

that switch is a good spot, what i did was t'ed that spot and then ran the oil feed off of the right angle of the t and put the sensor back on at the straight point of the t. only advice i would give, MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR MATH RIGHT!! if you don't pre-calculate your air flows, fuel flows, and stresses to the different components of the car. YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING!!! also make sure you get a good tune on your pcm to support it.

coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply & advice fastrunner Very Happy

I have waited well over a year since I started researching before purchasing the first parts of the build, double and tripple checking the details. Cant be too carefull!!

Iam no stranger to building stuff, just new to the FI world. The tune is mandatory in my book, as is over-building if something is even in question.
What got me planning this was seeing all the factory turbo cars coming out, and the awesome performance vs fuel mileage they are achieving.
Just wanting to try a very low boost ultra conservative setup and see if it can live, and just maybe, improve MPG.
Its not gonna be a race car, iam not trying to make it fast.
I'am gonna be trying to improve the whole car overall. Even though its barely ever gonna see any WOT time, the suspension+brakes are all getting upgraded to improve handling/braking but not make it uncomfortable. The trans is a semi-fresh rebuild, and will be recieving some attention as well.

Ill post pics when it starts coming together. I dont like build threads because with my luck, ill never finish it and everyone will see me FAIL Shocked

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

coolraptor wrote:

Ill post pics when it starts coming together. I dont like build threads because with my luck, ill never finish it and everyone will see me FAIL Shocked

Is it different if we just know you fail when nothing gets posted? Laughing

I don't have any technical input for you. Just saying that you won't get much if any hate around here if you're doing your homework.

Good luck with the build! I look forward to a thread about it.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter--lol i guess not. I have noticed more than a few 3.4 build threads that end when the OP quits posting or with a part-out ad Laughing

Deff. trying to do my homework thats for sure. Its taking a while because besides doing all the calculations there is the $$$ issue (Camaro likes munching on $$ whenever it breaks something), and i work very werid random hours. I do cleanup work in the oil/gas stuff and am on call 24/7 Rolling Eyes

Ive gotten some stuff mocked up, routed, etc just nothing mounted yet. Iam hoping to have it all planned out and ready so I can assemble it all at once when iam done doing the suspension/brakes etc. Got a corner in the house and a backseat full of parts, just need time and always more $$$ Very Happy

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

are you doing a custom exhaust manifold?

coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So far ive been planning on making a rear mount setup. Like the porsche' and STS style.
Ive been planning on doing it this way for a few reasons.
1-less heat & congestion in the engine bay.
2-no need to fab the manifolds Laughing
3-Easy to return to stock.
4-Iam just curious!!! Ive heard so much good and bad about these setups, i gotta find out for myself. Not going for max performance anyway, so if they do indeed produce lower numbers compared to other 3.4 setups, its not gonna matter to me that much.

Now iam not saying i'd turn down a bargain on some ready-made manifolds, I just have always wondered how a remote mount would work on any car, so ive been planning to do one. Iam not 100% set on it, but very close because I already bought the oil pump/fittings etc Confused

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you considered using the manifolds/crossover/downpipe from a 89-90 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix? They were a 3.1 motor but I believe they can be used on a 3.4 block.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have, just didnt figure i would have much luck finding any that were still usable. Ive never noticed any on ebay (maybe i looked missed it?) and no junkyards around here have anything like that. Sad

~~~~EDIT~~~~~ Also the 3.1 tgp manifolds have round ports compared to D ports on the 3.4s. I guess they can be made to fit, but its a job.

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have fabbed two sets of custom turbo mainfolds for the 3.4. I have a set for my car, as i did a turbo kit for my car and one for a friend. If you do decided to go that route i have learned that it is much easier to buy a block at a junk yard and build it on that and then mount it in the car.

coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That would make it alot easier. Ill keep that in mind for sure if i end up going that route, thanks Smile

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

also where you are planning to to mount the turbo you need to be very careful about the heat that is going to generate and give off. Unshielded that can cause a major amount of damage and possibly a fire.

coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Indeed. I plan on making a heat shield and/or using a turbo blanket. The only thing that makes me wonder about the blanket, what happens if it gets wet? Not familiar with the materiel (only header wrap), does it even absorb moisture?
Ive read some folks have wrapped their entire cat-back exhaust to the turbo to keep the heat in and havent heard of any water-related issues so far, but i dunno. Like i said, a learning esperience!

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you don't want to keep the heat in either, the turbo needs to give off heat or else you are going to damage it, the key is dissipation of heat in the right way.

coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok thx for the tip fastrunner Cool

I havent failed yet!
Still getting parts together, and drag racing my Camaro at the same time which is hogging up some $$$ (munched a tranny yoke on driveshaft last week)
Also destroyed a deer a few months back and have been in and outta shop because paint keeps flaking off Evil or Very Mad
Car is my daily for now so iam gonna do as much on it at one time as possible to minimize downtime. I have another vehicle, but its a truck and sucks gas.

Havent installed anything yet:
Fbody brakes w/drilled & slotted rotors+stainless lines
New rear brakes, drilled+slotted also (just to match front really)
Rear STB w/ Don Rome brackets
HD Trans. Conversion
Wbodystore shiftkit
KYB GR2 struts+mounts
Turbo+wastegate+BOV
Oil Pump, some misc clamps.
''valve w/ light cracking pressure'' for oil pressure line.

What I can think of that i still need are:
Injectors (aiming towards 42lb's)
Fuel Pump (maybe)
PCM/Tune
Intercooler+piping
Oil lines (found a dude who can make stainless braided lines, alot cheaper than AN stuff but still plenty strong)
Boost/AFR guages + maybe a fuel pressure as well. (found a site that has a factory looking 3 guage pillar)
Dorman boxed trailing arms-cheap & stronger/stiffer than stock. Why not?

As you can see, I still have plenty to do. Ill try to post whenever I have something exciting or a failure to report Very Happy [/u]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Power Adders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: