NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New Seats...New Console...New look...The Project (Pic Heavy)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New Seats...New Console...New look...The Project (Pic Heavy)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:  New Seats...New Console...New look...The Project (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

So....I've hinted and and vaguely talked about a custom center console project. Well the ball is rolling downhill now.

The obligatory exterior shot!

I should have taken before pictures but I was too anxious to start I forgot. I had the standard base, cloth bench seat and matching cloth backseat. you really aren't missing much by not having the pictures though Laughing

The seats came out of a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. Both are heated and the driver is powered. From what I saw I dont think they had an option for dual power seats but I could very well be wrong on that. I just couldnt find one thats for sure and well...Im selfish so as long as I have power my passengers can pull the lever and scoot to their heart is content Smile

Ok so I started with the rear seat as from research that was going to be the hardest part.

Rear Seat Back (The part your back goes against, flips down...yeah that part)

What I found out is the back doesn't quite bolt in as I thought. The bottom portion of the seat back sits correctly. I circled the section in red, excuse the photobucket editing and the overall dirtiness of my interior...sue me

Anyway the red circled section just slides into place no problem, over the studs and lines up with the bolts. Now to my surpise...the seat back sits higher than the impala seat! The holes do not match up.

I took these 1 1/2 inch self tapping screws

I made sure to drill into the metal backing as opposed to the cardboardish speaker cover. Its a bit difficult but doable. I drilled the screws through the holes just enough to know where they need to go. then I removed the seat back and drilled them all the way through. Then i backed them out, put the seat back in place, put the screws in and fastened down the bottom portion.

Now to the infamous bottom portion....for me it was easier to do since I knew what to expect. I got over my fear of cutting into the floor and just did it. The GP seats have a vertical slot rather than the impala's horizontal. What I did was cut the slot to match the impala rubber piece turned sideways. (I will update this with a picture of that).

Basically what I did was take that rubber slot out turn it sideways and put it int the newly created slot. I took the plasitc holder off the GP seats so that it would attach to the impala rubber thing. It was just an idea that turned out to work.

this is the slot after cutting it to match.

I used some tin shears but others have used dremels, its not very thick so it shouldnt be too difficult to manipulate. Just cut a little at a time, see if it fits then go from there. You can always cut more but adding material is another task.

Make sure that you use the impala seat belts and not the GP seat belts. they are made to work in tandem and cannot be separated.

After you've drilled and modified the floor and have bolted everything in securely your should look like this

Now to the fronts (few pictures here because well...theres not much to show)

To remove your front seats, move them as far forward as you can. Make sure the seat back is in its upright and secure position Laughing . you should now see two bolts on the back of the seat track.

I used a 15mm socket but I believe the are a T-40 torx bit. I caution you if you are using the t-40 not to strip it, its very easy to do. I started that way and it stripped something awful. lucky for me the bolt wasnt round.
Anyway take those two botls out. Make sure you disconnected the power connector if you have it. you should now be able to tilt the seat forward. tilt it as far forward as you can (the headrest probably will brush the visor just ease it past that ). once youve tilted you should be able to lift the front part off of the hooks and boom the seat is out. Having a second person to help might not be a bad idea but if you are strong enough it can be done by one person.

Careful not to scratch the door panels taking the old seats out and moving in the new seats.

Now before you put in the GP seats remove the seat belt connector and replace it with the impala connector. The connector fastens to a single stud held in by a 15mm nut. now i ran into an issue with my passenger impala connector...mine is not removable (at least by me). I ordered a replacement connector off ebay. I cut a little piece of the plastic off so that the metal piece would slide over the GP stud, bolted into place and went about my business.

Literally to put in the GP seats, reverse the actions you did to remove the impala seats.
Clearly missing a passenger seat belt...it hadnt come in when I took this picture.

Now what goes in the middle there? a center console of course

This is only the first part of the project...for the second part that console is not going to stay that way. Tune it later for the custom center console portion.

The final part will be to repaint the interior trim. The blue was cool for a while and different but it doesnt match the new update look that I'm going for. Plus it will give me a chance to blend the seats in better with the rest of the interior. More on that later.

I promise I will take more pictures of the console than I did on the seats

For now what do you think? Praise, Criticisms, whatever you have

LittleRock wrote:

It's just like pulling out. It's very tricky and isnt an exact science, but sometimes you just know.

helldorado wrote:
I can always tell when Wedebrook is around. Smells like sex and shame in here.

Last edited by ShortyDoo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Awesome! Way to do work!

Hard to tell it's a base model anymore. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your center console.

Glad you're getting rid of the blue accents..

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow, those are really bolstered seats. I'm getting used too sliding around my bench all the time. I wish mine were like yours. Very Happy

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice seats, good call on eliminating the blue. I like it!

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Haha thanks everyone. Consensus: Blue must go! Yeah, I had this whole blue idea for the interior but then I realized I didnt want a smurf car. Plus I want to get into my car and feel like I just bought it (as in features and comfort). The speaker grill and trim will be a dark gray to match the seats.

Question: How close would the SS trim be to the seats do you think? Though maybe a smooth gray might be better. I dunno I guess I have a little time to ponder

PushrodPower wrote:
Wow, those are really bolstered seats. I'm getting used too sliding around my bench all the time. I wish mine were like yours. Very Happy

YES! they hug you like a good woman. Its so much better taking turns and just for overall comfort

outonthetiles wrote:
Awesome! Way to do work!

Hard to tell it's a base model anymore. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your center console.

Yeah I'm not really sure whats left thats base lol. well maybe everything under the 3500 UIM...hmmm

As a teaser to the console it will contain a Audiocontrol Three.2 and a Transformer Prime plus more

LittleRock wrote:

It's just like pulling out. It's very tricky and isnt an exact science, but sometimes you just know.

helldorado wrote:

Last edited by ShortyDoo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ShortyDoo wrote:
Question: How close would the SS trim be to the seats do you think? Though maybe a smooth gray might be better. I dunno I guess I have a little time to ponder

It would probably be pretty close. I'm not sure if you've seen them up close though, they look pretty cheasy. Might be better off painting the woodgrain.

ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well theres no hint of the awful woodgrain anywhere in my car but they are already painting blue so I might as well sand, prime and shoot. I still havent gotten a chance to look at that paint you recommended but I'll probably go that route.

right now still going back and forth on the way I want the top of the console to look/act. at some point I'll just trust myself and forge forward.

LittleRock wrote:

helldorado wrote:
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If there's one thing I'm learning from my swap, it's that you can only do so much research and planning before you just have to tear into it. and start getting it done.

ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Today i Built a cardboard model to get feel for things. Im liking it so far...im taking picgures no worries

LittleRock wrote:

helldorado wrote:
gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.45

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its a great upgrade! i had those seats in my monte carlo for a while but removed them.

Alan

Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think you've convinced me to really start looking into a seat upgrade. Those bolsters look so nice. The Impala seats are comfy but I hate sliding out of them going around corners.

ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
I think you've convinced me to really start looking into a seat upgrade. Those bolsters look so nice. The Impala seats are comfy but I hate sliding out of them going around corners.

Do it!!!!!

Ok so here is an update!

So I built a carboard mock up to see how I liked the fit

I drove around like that for a few days just seeing how I felt about it. I liked it and I think It will flow so long as I can blend it with the curves of the console.

added some good ol american duck tape for support since it was a little flimsy.

Next i molded some lexan round my tablet so I could build the slot that it will rest in. once that was done I cut out a section of the cardboard and secured the lexan slot in place.

I did tons of reading on fiberglassing since this will be my first foray into the fiberglass world. I came up with Ponte cloth as the suitable base layer. Its 100% polyester and very stretchy. One of its benefits is supposed to be that it doesnt eat resin like fleece and other materials and is still sturdy when cured.

Got lucky and picked up some Ponte for 50% off. I got extra since I figured I would mess up. Here is my attempt at wrapping before resin. dont mind the bed...laundry day Smile

Well at some point tonight I mustered up the courage to lay some resin on the Ponte wrapped template. I will find out tomorrow whether it was an epic fail or decent.

In a bit I am going to take a razer blade to that airpocket and see if I cant get it to lay down a bit. Gotta get it while its still tacky.

LittleRock wrote:

helldorado wrote:
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you need help with the fiberglass stuff, you aren't too far from me, and we will probably be having a big car weekend workin on my buddy's camaro

Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Awesome progress man!

LilK

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice work swapping out the seats and good luck with that console

-KB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: