NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Air Conditioning Problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Air Conditioning Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bond32

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject:  Air Conditioning Problem Reply with quote

So my AC won't hold pressure. I can charge it and within a day or so the charge pressure goes down to under 5. I have zero experience working on AC's. I was wondering what the best way to locate the leak is. I can tell the charge cans I used the fluid is a neon color and there is no visible neon around the compressor, dryer, or condenser. Any ideas?
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject:  A/C leak Reply with quote

Well, no doubt you have a leak. The neon color is the dye in the gas used for detecting leaks. If the leak is big enough you will see the neon color at the point of the leak. it could be at the compressor clutch, back of compressor at the line fitting/switch. or any part where there is a connection. Condenser, evaporator/dryer. Best to use a black light. Pass it over the entire system, paying attention to connections. 'O' rings will leak. You may need to have more dye added to the system. Check with you local trusted garage. If you can see a point that looks oily wet, that would be a place for a leak. Hope it's not too hot where you are. (sure is hot n sticky in Upstate NY). Good luck. Cool

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just had mine fixed at the local shop. They added a dye to see the leak. Ended up being I needed a whole new tube. The long silver looking one where you charge it at. had two different leaks in the tube. One where you connect the hose at, ...not sure where the second one was but it was all the tubes fault.
Bond32

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
Just had mine fixed at the local shop. They added a dye to see the leak. Ended up being I needed a whole new tube. The long silver looking one where you charge it at. had two different leaks in the tube. One where you connect the hose at, ...not sure where the second one was but it was all the tubes fault.

Interesting... Because that tube is oily on my car as well but I assumed it was excess charge fluid. Didn't occur to me that could be the leak...
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The valves where the refrigerant goes in also have a tendency to leak...just a thought. It could be that simple. Smile

Bond32

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I spent a little more time inspecting and looking. Also cleaned some components. Is it possible for the dryer to leak? I see some oil around the dryer and on the bottom of it.

In the event it is either the silver line with the low pressure port leaking or it is the dryer, are either of these two components replaceable with out much issue? As in I don't have any ac equipment or experience but I would like to do it myself.

And yes it is hot here. All last week it was over 105.

Working on getting some pictures. Thanks for all the help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yt6.....AG0039.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7bz.....AG0040.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cth.....AG0041.jpg

Edit: so I went ahead and bought 2 cans to try to find the leak. I put one can in and it will not get above 25 psi. Started to put the second in and still it will not get above 25, is this normal? The car blows cold, but the pass side is colder which I thought ment low charge. Also its about 73 degrees out so it should be able to get to 35 psi right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: