NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Adding AUX input to stereo without any adapter, under $10.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Adding AUX input to stereo without any adapter, under $10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaa0620

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Funny Adding AUX input to stereo without any adapter, under $10. Reply with quote

Just an FYI for everyone, there is a really cheap way to add an aux input to factory stereo for under $10. All you need is aux input from radio shack and about a foot of network cable, soldering iron and a little time. Here is the aux input, hard to tell from the picture, but it is a 5 wire connector. My Impala is a 2003, so the wiring may be alittle different from 2006 and on.
http://www.radioshack.com/prod.....d=2103451#
Basically what you do is this. Pull the stereo from the car, take the covers off the stereo. Find the connectors running to the CD player, in my case there were 2 connectors running to the CD player. A 14 pin cable and a 6 pin cable. Once you locate the 2 cables, you will use the 6 pin cable. Cut pin 1 wire, black wire and connect the left channel wires from the aux input to this pin, one going to the connector side, one to the CD player side. Next cut the wire for pin 3, will be white. Again splice in the 2 wires from the aux input. Connect the ground from the aux input to the frame of the Stereo unit. I used network cable because the wires were already in a casing and was easy to route.
The way this input works is this: Stereo should work as normal, CD should play as normal. Test that first. To test the aux input, make sure you have a CD in the Cd player, connect ipod, mp3 or satellite radio to the input with a standard 3.5mm audio cable, hit the AUX/CD button, with the audio cable in the aux input the audio from the CD is killed and the audio from the ipod should be heard. There might be a slight audio bleed through from the Cd if nothing is playing on the ipod. But for less than $10 i can deal with it. Sorry i didnt take time to take pics. Here is a link to a website forum with about 25 pages of people talking about how to do this, with lots of pics. A friend did this to his 2004 Chevy Silverado but had to use the 14 pin connector, his audio was on pins 1 and 3 of that connector, not the 6 pin connector i had to use.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/ster.....apter.html
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:  AUX input Reply with quote

Awesome. Excellent find. Now I have a project for this weekend. Saved me a few buck$. Much appreciated. Thanks. Cool

BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Awesomeness! I was actually about to post a request for info on this idea as I'm not getting enough work this summer and am only replacing speakers. Very good find!!

EDIT: this isn't for our cars, but is it the same? I'll probably take apart a spare HU and see.

windowsman

Posts per day: 0

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Funny Re: Adding AUX input to stereo without any adapter, under $1 Reply with quote

jaa0620 wrote:
Find the connectors running to the CD player, in my case there were 2 connectors running to the CD player. A 14 pin cable and a 6 pin cable. Once you locate the 2 cables, you will use the 6 pin cable.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but on my radio i am only seeing one 15 pin connector that goes from the cd player to the board. Do you have any idea if this is the connector to use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: