NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2006+ brake proportioning valve for F-body brakes
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2006+ brake proportioning valve for F-body brakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:  2006+ brake proportioning valve for F-body brakes Reply with quote

Here's my thinking- the 2006+ Impala's have dual-caliper pistons in the front, and the same brakes as us in the rear, yet they don't nose-dive really hard. So my philosophy is that the brake proportioning valve must be more biased towards the rears. And if that's the case, then maybe instead of hunting around for a GXP brake proportioning valve to stop my F-body's from making my car nosedive, I should be searching for a much more common (and possibly cheaper) 2006+ brake proportioning valve. Any thoughts on this? Am I wrong on anything? Maybe Z-spot can give us some part #'s to compare. And would they swap?

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm thinking your nosedive is a combination of that heavy ass push bumper and struts that are on their way out... might want to look into that before monkeying around with stuff that likely won't make a difference.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with Iffy on this. The nosedive is not due to improperly proportioned brakes. I'd look in to the condition of your struts, and replace if they're worn out.

I have F-body brakes and some pretty serious pads, yet I don't any more nosedive than is normal.

You're always going to have some sort of nosedive under braking. If you look at our cars, the wheelbase is about half of the total lenght. There's some serious overhang there. Our engine is out in front of the front wheels, that's a lot of weight.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pushbar isn't that heavy, I can literally lift it with my pinkie. It's made of aluminum. And I've seen plenty of other threads stating the same thing- hard nosediving after the F-body upgrade. I know my struts aren't out of whack, but they're getting replaced anyway.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Whatever man. If you post a thread, accept whatever advise you get. My apologies for thinking the push bumper was heavy (I've never seen an aluminum one), but the struts should be the first thing you address...

Dan wrote:

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try it, let us know how it goes. But I can tell you that brake bias is to ensure that the front wheels don't lock up before the back or vise versa. Nose dive is affected by spring rates, shock valving, and suspension geometry.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Whatever man. If you post a thread, accept whatever advise you get. My apologies for thinking the push bumper was heavy (I've never seen an aluminum one), but the struts should be the first thing you address...

Don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape. He just stated it was a lightweight variant. Confused

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Maybe my suspension IS getting worn out. It still sits higher than a stock Impala with the 9C1 springs, and doesn't really lean during cornering, but maybe the struts are worn. But anyway, would there still be a difference in brake bias between the two proportioning valves?

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
IffyG wrote:

Don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape. He just stated it was a lightweight variant. Confused

I'm not bent out of shape. I now understand that its a light weight push bar, but it doesn't change the fact that bad struts can amplify nose dive. I'd be working on those before doing anything with a brake proportioning valve. It appears that he wants someone to tell him to go ahead and do it and I doubt people are going to tell him that until he addresses the other (more likely) causes.

Dan wrote:

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Again, nose dive is affected by spring rates, shock valving, and suspension geometry. Not brake bias.

If the nose dive bothers you, look into stiffer springs and some AGX's

If you're locking up one axle before the other, then I'd look into brake bias.

I'm all for expirimenting though, so if you try it, let us know what happens. I don't know of anyone doing it.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So basically having F-body's just pointed out my weak front struts. But anyway, I'm certain I've seen threads on other forums about changing out the proportioning valve to make the front/rear brake bias better. That was the purpose of this thread.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was under the understanding that this thread was about changing the proportioning valve to specifically compensate for nosedive.

Changing it for proper brake bias isn't a bad idea. There are a lot of things to consider when doing this, though. F body brakes have better stopping power than our stock brakes. There is more friction area on the pads, for one. The pistons in the brakes are bigger though, which means they require more line pressure to exert the same pressure on the pads. Because of this, its not affecting brake bias as much as you think. You have the potential for better braking, but you have to press the pedal harder to get it, therefor working the rear brakes harder at the same time. Ugh.. I have a hard time explaining things. Hope this makes sense.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I figured the proportioning valve would be a good way to stop nosediving, but I don't see why it wouldn't help with overall braking power. I'm just trying to throw ideas out, and see what people think. Maybe it's worth pursuing, maybe not. But I don't know, and that's why I'm asking, so somebody with more knowledge than me can chime in.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have been Cool

Again, if you're not having problems with one axle locking up before the other, there's no reason to change the proportioning. I have F-Bodies up front, and I lock up all four wheels pretty much at the same time.

Edit: If you're still set on playing around with the bias, I'd try to encorporate something like this before going to 06+ valving. http://www.chasebays.com/produ.....ning-valve

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
I have been Cool

Again, if you're not having problems with one axle locking up before the other, there's no reason to change the proportioning. I have F-Bodies up front, and I lock up all four wheels pretty much at the same time.

Edit: If you're still set on playing around with the bias, I'd try to encorporate something like this before going to 06+ valving. http://www.chasebays.com/produ.....ning-valve

Thanks, really appreciate it Very Happy Your posts as usual have been helpful, and not demeaning, which is the way a forum should be. And that valve looks pretty decent. I recently got an itch to swap my F-body's for C5's all the way around, and think that would be a pretty useful additon.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: