NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Thoughts on good places for mechanic work
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Thoughts on good places for mechanic work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject:  Thoughts on good places for mechanic work Reply with quote

I won't bore you with details as to why I'm asking.
However, I'm looking to have work done on my car which may be out of my realm of expertise. As like right now, I'm looking to get an alignment. I already went to Mavis Discount Tire but after putting the car on the lift and getting the readings, they found they are not equipped to align the car as the lower bolt of the front struts need to be shaved and special new bolts they don't have. They advised me to go to the dealer. Well, that's not exactly happening.

Anyone got suggestions on where I can go? I'm thinking Firestone. They have a lifetime alignment deal for $169.99, I can get as many alignments as I want for as long as I own the car.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The lifetime agreement won't help you with parts or labor, which sounds like will be required to get your car aligned back to spec.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject:  good mechanic. Reply with quote

It's hard to find a mechanic you can trust in. We are out there. Mavis, Firestone, Sears I would stay away from. Not saying they may not have a good wrench turner working there, but reputation is bad. (It's even tougher for women).
It really is in your best interest to find a local guy who will respect your business. Getting harder to find.
Best bet is to go to your local Napa store, try and talk to the sales rep and get an idea of three or so privately owned garages in your area. Then check each out. These are the places that will give you the best bang for your buck. Their lively hood is in your hands. Good luck. Cool

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject:  Re: good mechanic. Reply with quote

topgun wrote:

It really is in your best interest to find a local guy who will respect your business. Getting harder to find.

I completely agree. Even if you find a shop that is well reviewed by others, give them a trial run with something simple like an oil change or a brake job before doing something serious. I regret using a shop for the my transmission on faith alone as it was ultimately the undoing of my Monte Carlo...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

With iffyg
But on looking for a shop to do the work don't go off peoples home shop preferances from the internet.
Not one brand name shop is the same accross the board.
They are all differant.(differant state, differant city, differant neghborhood, differant people Wink )
Best bet for you is to talk to your friends,coworkers and family members about what shops and mech's they use then if you find one interesting from your talks go down and talk to the person who will be doing the work
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All good advice. I think I will give Firestone a shot with the alignment for right now. Mavis gave me my readings and thankfully didn't charge me for not being able to perform the work (I would have had a fit).

They even included a diagram as to what needs to be done.

Be it as my alignment is off, I'll try Firestone in Flushing Queens, NY. I actually grew up in the area down the block from them, although I never had any of my cars go to them aside from tires I bought on my 1st car I bought eons ago. Never needed to with my 1st brand new car (98 Malibu) being serviced with the manager I knew. I just don't have too much time on my hands to and would like to not kill my tires, although I understand they could maybe make things worse.

My trust is not easy to get with my car. Hence why I replaced my 1st ever strut (my 1st car, 76' Malibu, doesn't count) on my own. I am very handy with putting things together as long as I research and have a direction. I put together servers and desktop PCs for a living.

I'm typing too much.

Thanks guys.
Side note, it was the help of this forum and Google that provided me with information on how to replace my rear strut. Saved a lot of money by doing it myself. Thanks again...
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject:  good mechanic. Reply with quote

I'll add this just in case. Firestone and the like, the techs work on commission. If you go there or anyplace for alignment make sure to get before and after readings. Also get under the car once it is done and check for clean threads on the steering gear to tie rods Verify that things have been adjusted. Again, good luck. Cool

Joe67
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I strongly recommend asking around for referrals.

Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well Firestone refused to perform the alignment without looking up the specs. Before giving the keys and checking in, I asked if they can perform the service with the understanding the SS has a special way of doing the alignment from GM. The guy said "oh no, we do not perform any custom work, only dealer or manufacture specs." I explained it is a dealer/manufacture spec but he wouldn't listen.
MIND YOU, I already had the dealer service center perform an alignment once before a couple thousand miles ago so this cut or shaving should already have been done.
In the end, I was actually happy it didn't work out and I asked before letting them put the car up. They didn't know nor understand what I showed them nor explained nor did they want to look up the work on their computer.

I'm going to make calls around and try one place my girlfriends father goes to. Anyone know of a place or have suggestions in the Westchester, NY area?
CollegeImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Chip if you're willing to drive a bit in Patterson is Patterson auto body and they have never steered me wrong. I had lifetime free oil changes and they were still good to me. Pm if you have questions

College

System: Only 1 signature image allowed, Image auto removed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: