NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - inexpensive Aftermarket HU(to control iPod) recommendations?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

inexpensive Aftermarket HU(to control iPod) recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSelfDestruct

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject:  inexpensive Aftermarket HU(to control iPod) recommendations? Reply with quote

So we had a Jeep Liberty come in at work and it has an Alpine single-DIN unit installed, and I noticed it has the wire for iPod. I connected my iPod classic (which has messed up LCD screen) and was blown away by the sound quality compared to the piece of crap FM-modulated thing I got from Canadian Tire (OBVIOUSLY!). I see that that using was $200MSRP new. Tthe only thing I wish was that the screen on the headunit was a bit easier to read for navigating the folders on the iPod, aside from that the sound quality seemed good enough. Anyone have recommendations on HU under $200 (new or used) and should I got with a double DIN? Aside from the iPod it would also like to connect my Sirius radio through an aux input, if there are units that have both???

Lastly- when installing aftermarket is this the only other thing I would need to buy to control the dummy lights? http://pac-audio.com/productDe.....egoryID=26

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not gonna lie, navigating an iPod from anything other than the iPod is an exercise in frustration. I have had a few Pioneer head units that controlled my iPod touch were sluggish in their controls vs the touch screen or old school click wheel. I'd probably go to a store and demo the different head unis with iPod hook ups and pick the one that pisses you off the least.

When you go aftermarket you need a chime retention harness like you already selected. FWIW, I have my old one for sale in the classified. I'd need to charge a bit more to ship it to Canada, but it would be much cheaper than anything you will find locally.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: