NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - traded off the SS
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

traded off the SS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnmartin
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.09

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject:  traded off the SS Reply with quote

My 2007 SS had a few miles shy of 120k on the odometer and needed a lot of repairs totaling a fair amount of money... alternator died, needed every fluid changed, front and rear suspension rebuild, new tires all around, new mirror glass, new wheels (two were bent), was on its third transmission and the newly rebuilt one was not shifting right (sometimes it stuck in first, other semi-minor issues). This does not include the repairs done in the past year, which ended up totaling more per month than my car payment, and were rapidly approaching the cost of car payment plus insurance payment per month. Gas was also murdering my paycheck every month ($500+).

Decided to trade down to something a bit more economical... got $7500 for the SS on trade, paid off the remainder of my loan and went home with a 2012 Chevy Sonic 2LT in Inferno Orange Metallic (Rolling Eyes I know, but couldn't beat the deal) for $13K and change.

So far I have gone from a lifetime average of 17.5 MPG (over the past 60K miles or so) to a lifetime average of 30.1 MPG (over the past 650 miles). 15 inch tires should also be a fair bit cheaper. Laughing Payment is down over $100 a month, although my insurance went up another $200 for the year. Ugh.

Besides the twitchy and squirrelly road manners above 80 mph, and the lackluster audio system (the Bose system in the SS wasn't terrible) I can say I am not totally disliking driving around in a rolling penalty box. Confused
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you get the hatchback or 4 door version?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
jnmartin
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hatchback. I'm thrilled that I finally own a car with decent paint again instead of something that looks like it got washed with steel wool and sandpaper. Trying to make sure it gets only hand wash and waxes at home or touchless washes at the car wash from now on.

[/img]
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.6

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good choice. IMO, the hatchback looks way better than the 4 door.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.53

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All things considered with mileage and condition, they gave you a phenomenal deal on trade-in. Enjoy the new ride and the money saved.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can't believe how difficult it'd be to clean those headlights. I think about it everytime I see a Sonic.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Those are cool looking little cars IMO. Congrats!

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 0.94

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You did well on the trade. As long as you are happy with the switch-over, I'm sure that little sonic should serve you well.

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shotokan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Should be blue...... with a hedgehog logo Very Happy . Watch out for semi's on the highway, wind buffeting can be brutal.
jgilius
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2004 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice Aveo RS, LOL I'm glad you got a good deal offing the SS, our 07 3LT is at 96K and change, and it's got to last another 8 years, LOL I'm torn between getting it paid off then saving up for the inevitable TEP tranny or trading it in and getting stuck with another payment for 5 years. The gas mileage has got to be the best part of trading down in size. Keep us up to date on the car, likes and dislikes. Peace, John

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
jnmartin
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helldorado wrote:
All things considered with mileage and condition, they gave you a phenomenal deal on trade-in. Enjoy the new ride and the money saved.

I was pretty surprised as well. Sales manager told me they just took in either an 07 or an 08, can't remember that well; it was an LTZ with 40k miles on it and they gave the guy $7k for it. Long story about the condition follows at the end of the message, to avoid having to read the massive wall of text just to see my updated opinion regarding the Sonic.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Sonic in general. The hatchback was much more practical for useable interior space and it looks a lot better in my opinion. The stubby little trunk on the sedan looked like a ridiculous afterthought. I can live with the orange paint because of how low the cost of the car was.

Also enjoy not having a black exterior/black (leather) interior anymore. I used to have to wait 20 minutes for the A/C to get the interior below 100 degrees when it would sit outside in the parking lot at work for 8 hours a day in the summer. Still burned myself when I sat down inside and would melt the skin off my arm when I wanted to hang it outside the window. The "leather" seats in the Impala offered no support and I would slide and slam into the driver's door or the center console depending on my direction of travel. The grey plastic in the Sonic doesn't heat up to the same extent and with the cloth seats I actually stay put while driving, plus the view out of the car is much better. Side mirrors are much bigger than those on the Impala so they don't have such a huge blind spot, and the upright rear window provides a much bigger view of the world unobstructed by a spoiler that fills a third of the view.

I like the tech features provided, although they are seemingly pretty standard for new cars these days. Hands-free cell phone integration through the stereo system with bluetooth is a life-saver. The iPod integration with steering wheel control through the USB port in the glovebox is also much nicer than having to use a 1/8" cable with the aux jack. Sucks trying to find songs when you have 13000 songs/1700 albums/600 artists to choose from. Tend to just leave it on shuffle or I pick an album before plugging it in if I really want to hear something specific. Stereo is not great but it is usually loud enough. I don't like or use OnStar really although I still have the trial period right now and I put some minutes on the calling when my cell phone died a couple weeks ago. Came in handy when I had to call for a tow 30 miles from home.

Gas mileage is adequate although not spectacular. I still have to fill it up at the same frequency as before, if only because of the smaller gas tank (12 gallons). Regular gas is at least 50 cents cheaper per gallon than premium around here, and I'm down to $60 a week now for fuel from over $120 a week with the SS. I'm also guessing DIY oil changes will be cheaper now without having to grab an extra $6 quart bottle every time. Still don't trust the oil life monitor systems. The SS was always 2 quarts low by the time it got to 40% if I didn't top it off or change it early (1 quart low just by 4k miles no matter what kind of oil I used).

The cost of replacing four 15" tires makes me jump for joy compared to having to save for or financing $1100 worth of reasonable 18" performance tires. Considering up-sizing to 16", still much cheaper.

Car payment is over $100 lower per month and I took an 18 month shorter loan this time around. By the time I'm done paying this one off it will still have some usable driving life left in it, even if it doesn't have any residual trade-in value left.

One of my favorite things about the Sonic is that it is so small that it only takes about 10 minutes to do a thorough hand wash and dry in my driveway. It is a joy to get out and wash it every Saturday morning, not a chore like the black Impala. Getting that thing cleaned up to my satisfaction often took an hour or more to avoid and/or remedy the water spotting. Not being black outside and in means I don't have to plan around the sun anymore like I did before. Also have a couple coats of wax on it right now, and it is still new so it doesn't have the five years of highway construction debris and parking lot destruction derby scars to remedy on a regular basis. Swirl-free paint is beautiful and I had forgotten what that actually looks like without having to spend $150 for a professional detail and paint restoration job.

Haven't had any problems with my normal highway commute, short of the Sonic handling squirrely above 75 mph. It has enough power to merge into traffic comfortably. The 6-speed auto behaves a lot better than the Impala's 4-speed. It doesn't bog down in the wrong gear on a regular basis leaving me out of the power band and dangerously struggling to move out of the way of oncoming/approaching traffic.

I do find myself missing the effortless passing power of the SS when it was running well. Usually feel that way when driving two lane state highways. It really sucks when you can't pass a Camry without getting dusted Laughing.
Compared to the heavier Cruzes I test-drove the 1.8L in the Sonic is more than enough to get around without having to constantly wind it out. I found the Cruze to be unbearable without the turbo 1.4L engine, a total dog. The turbo models were more than adequately powered however My past cars were all much slower than the Impala SS was. Most comparable to the Sonic was my 1993 Thunderbird LX with the 3.8L V6. Only thing it had going for it was RWD. I think the Sonic might be a little slower though not by a considerable amount.

jgilius wrote:
Nice Aveo RS, LOL ... Keep us up to date on the car, likes and dislikes. Peace, John

Don't compare the Sonic to an Aveo Sad. Those things were ugly dumpy little down syndrome mobiles with no style Laughing. They also handled with the stiffness of a wet cardboard box. At least from the front the Sonic looks semi-aggressive with some sense of style. Looks far more distinctive than any '06 - '12 Impala front end, that's for sure. Also wouldn't describe the non-straight-line handling as nautical unlike the Impala. Not too much body roll and it actually takes corners semi-flat and confidently.

TL;DR right? Confused
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jnmartin wrote:
helldorado wrote:

I was pretty surprised as well. Sales manager told me they just took in either an 07 or an 08, can't remember that well; it was an LTZ with 40k miles on it and they gave the guy $7k for it.

Yeah, we just traded in the wife's Mazda 3, and it was a fully loaded GT model with the 5 speed stick and 07 specific metallic color changing blue-green and only 50k miles on it, it was an uphill battle to just get $8500 out of our dealer.

But we went the other way, swapping the economical 4 cyl for a fully loaded Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi. Laughing

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helldorado wrote:
jnmartin wrote:
helldorado wrote:

I was pretty surprised as well. Sales manager told me they just took in either an 07 or an 08, can't remember that well; it was an LTZ with 40k miles on it and they gave the guy $7k for it.

Yeah, we just traded in the wife's Mazda 3, and it was a fully loaded GT model with the 5 speed stick and 07 specific metallic color changing blue-green and only 50k miles on it, it was an uphill battle to just get $8500 out of our dealer.

But we went the other way, swapping the economical 4 cyl for a fully loaded Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi. Laughing

For shame. Should of got a SRT-8 instead. Razz

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helldorado wrote:
jnmartin wrote:
helldorado wrote:

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:

She liked it until she saw the price. Also, the SRT-8 has a fixed ground clearance of 8.3", Overland 4x4 with the air suspension sits at 8.1" and will drop to 6.6" in park mode. That's pretty clutch for people under 5'6".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: