NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - first oil change help
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

first oil change help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brich

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Grrrr ! first oil change help Reply with quote

so as i finally decide to read up on diy oil changes and prepare for my first real mechanical journey, and making several stops to an autozone to get the right oil,filter, and oil filter wrench, not to mention finding the time to actually set everything up, i am still stuck with an overtightened oil plug that is now rounding out with my socket and wrench, there are still flat faces but i dont want to over do it, how can i get this sucker out"???
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never heard of that happening. Maybe try vise grips? May also be a good time to get a new oil drain plug Very Happy

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd probably get a set of Easy-Outs like this ( http://community.craftsman.com.....et-reviews ) before trying vise grips. If you still have edges to grip, this should do the trick. I'd be afraid vise grips would round it out to the point that nothing short of pulling the oil pan will get it out.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jiffy Lube did this to my Cousins car. Did you Use a 6 point or 12 point socket?

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it gets too far gone, try going down 1mm in a socket and just hammering that sucker on there. I have had to do that to a few bolts.

Obviously you would need to have the replacement on hand.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:
If it gets too far gone, try going down 1mm in a socket and just hammering that sucker on there. I have had to do that to a few bolts.

This is exactly what I had to do to my drain plug the last time around. I don't know how it gets so tight. Confused I guess I should probably get a new one before it gets too bad.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All the above and a new drain plug. asap.
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The jiffy lube types will use impact wrenches to remove and install oil plugs. Time is money, cross thread it on with the impact, F the customer.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bill58 wrote:
The jiffy lube types will use impact wrenches to remove and install oil plugs. Time is money, cross thread it on with the impact, F the customer.

A good lesson to go by is not to use Jiffy Lube. It's up there with not listening too the guy at Autozone. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Make sure you're using the proper socket size, not one from the other unit system that's close (ie using a 1/2" for a 12mm socket)

And don't use 12-point sockets if you don't have to. Less surface area against the socket head = more slippage. 12-points are meant for areas where the wrench rotation is restricted.

As far as overtightening goes, use a 1/4" drive ratchet, so that you don't have a ton of handle to torque with. When I put the drain plug back in, I hold the 1/4" drive ratchet with my hand right against the socket, prevents me from overtightening. If the drain plug still drips, you need to replace the drain plug / gasket

Sounds like once you get the bolt out, if the pan isn't cross-threaded, you should replace the drain plug anyway.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks everyone! i was using a 6point the whole time switching between a ratcheting socket and standard wrench to see which one i could actually turn something with, but with no luck, im going to try the Easy Out route today, and probably pick up a smaller mm size while im at it along with a new drain plug

*Edit*
dain plug-2
brich-0

so i went out and bought some Bolt Outs from Sears hoping this would do the trick...but nope, the bolt continued to round out even with the smaller mm socket, im at wits end...i have no idea what to do anymore
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:

Obviously you would need to have the replacement on hand.

THIS

this is what I always do for this stuff

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Grrrr !  Reply with quote

No I tried hammering on a smaller size and it still didn't work
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Seriously not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I'm sure we've all been there at least once.......you are turning the bolt the right direction, right? Lefty loosy righty tighty? Sometimes being under things and upside down can distort your perception on what is left vs right. Again, no offense intended at all, but you did say this was your first mechanical journey.

If the bolt was put on with an impact gun, try and find someone with a cordless impact or even an air impact wrench to see if they can zip it off for you. The hammering mechanism combined with the smaller socket may be enough to break the bolt loose.

Short of that, since the easy outs didn't work, you can try a broken bolt remover. Just be VERY careful to thread it into the bolt head straight so it doesn't damage the threads in the pan. Read the instructions carefully.

Loud
brich

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No I understand and yes I've tried to triple check the direction every time I put on a different socket or tool, like I said I have always gone to jiffy lube for changes and they probably use power tools ,ill double check tomorrow and try turning it the other way,but I have been using the replacement as a reference by putting the threads between my finger nails and turning it both ways to see if it goes towards my fingers(locking in) our going out(coming out), but what a discouraging adventure haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: