NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Engine Shake/Shimmy at idle
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Engine Shake/Shimmy at idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:  Engine Shake/Shimmy at idle Reply with quote

Ok. I don't know if I'm just overly skeptical and noticing EVERYTHING since I paid the car off, or if things are just starting to go wrong since I paid the car off. I'm about tired of worrying about it though.

Anyways, I've been noticing a shimmy/shake at idle. The RPMs really don't change or anything, but the whole engine is shaking. Not violently. It doesn't look like it's about to shake out of the frame or anything, and it's not constant, but it is rhythmic. About every 5-10 seconds or so. Today I took a video, and the shaking was a bit constant, but I was parked on a bit of a steep incline. Don't know if that affects it or not.

Here's the video. Some of it is hard to see since there's some mirage showing in the video from the heat off the upper radiator hose,but if you focus on the beam of light on the K&N tube, you can see the shaking. You can also somewhat see it on the radiator hose, and the spark plug wires if you pay attention.

http://s40.photobucket.com/alb.....172945.mp4

Motor mounts? Trans mount? The shaking does seem a little worse on the driver side, but I think that's just because there's more stuff over there to notice shaking. Even the throttle body is shaking noticeably. Again, not violently or extreme, but not smooth either. There's also no discernable difference in the RPMs when it's doing this.

Loud
kp_432
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.03

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check vacuum lines
jwalker

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Question  Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem with my imp. did you ever identify what the problem was?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's hard to see anything with the camera adjusting, handshaking, and the heat distortion.

I'd say check for leaks on the vac lines as has been suggested above. Oftentimes they crack near the fittings or bends in the line, especially up near the throttle body. You're saying the gauges don't register a bump or drop in RPMs when the shaking happens?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bumping this thread back up. My SS started doing this last week. The RPMs do fluctuate 50 +/- when the engine shakes. It is only at idle, it seems fine when the car is moving. The exhaust sound seems to "skip" during the shake also. I have checked the vac lines and all coils and cleaned the MAF & IAC with no luck.

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you're probably just gonna have to live with it, as it could be 20 different things that could cause what you're describing. If it isn't causing another other effects or problems with it such as loss of fuel economy, smoking, or jarring shaking you'd be better off just forgetting about it as it could get costly. Who knows you may can fix it on the first try of replacing something it's a roll of the dice, but it could be you need spark plugs, wires, coil pack, could be a dirty injector, vacuum line, intake leak, egr valve, IAC valve, o2 sensor, FPR, partially clogged fuel filter, map sensor, even a slighly cracked head can cause what you're describing, and i'm sure i left out a few more.
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oops, forgot to post what it was on my car. The problem ended up being a bad/leaky injector. The #3 spark plug was carbon fouled leading me to believe that cylinder was running rich. I checked the injectors for resistance with a multimeter and they were all 12ohm+ except for the #3 injector which was in the 5ohm range. It has been running great since.

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
Oops, forgot to post what it was on my car. The problem ended up being a bad/leaky injector. The #3 spark plug was carbon fouled leading me to believe that cylinder was running rich. I checked the injectors for resistance with a multimeter and they were all 12ohm+ except for the #3 injector which was in the 5ohm range. It has been running great since.

good deal, glad you cured yours. Sometimes good ol' troubleshooting and testing b4 blindly throwing new parts at it goes a long ways. To the OP do some of the free stuff first like check plugs, resistance of injector wiring, and fuel pressure, and go from there.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the same problem when sitting at a light. I looked at my vacuum hoses off of the throttle body going to the purge soleniod. I pinched them and they are cracked so I will replace them and post back up.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:

That's interesting. The #3 spark plug on my car fouled a couple times since I've had the car, but only that plug. I guess number 3 is an unlucky number. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
I guess number 3 is an unlucky number. Laughing

Try telling that to Dale Earnhardt Laughing

Sold 28/10/11
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
VTSS wrote:

Hmmm..... I didn't even think of that. Shocked

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
gearhead1
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
VTSS wrote:

in his case I would say VERY unlucky.
financethis
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

could be mass air flow, map sensor, egr valve and or o2 sensors.

has your check engine light been on? has it codes anything?

vacuume leaks can and will cause those things to happen to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: