NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Which Thermostat?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Which Thermostat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject:  Which Thermostat? Reply with quote

I'm perusing Rock Auto, and plan on ordering my AC Delco O2 sensor this Friday, and want to go ahead and throw the 180 degree Stant T-Stat in the cart along with it.

Which one do I order? There's a couple of different ones.

There's this one -

STANT Part # 13848 {#35848} OE Type Thermostat; 180 Degree Reverse Poppet (1 23/32" x 13/16" x 25/32")
180 Degree; Alternate Temperature

And this one -

STANT Part # 45848 {#65848} Premium Thermostat; 180 Degree Superstat (1 23/32" x 29/32" x 29/32")
180 Degree; Alternate Temperature

Premium makes me think it would be the better one, as well as the price difference, but what the heck is a "reverse poppet"?

Also, I know I won't get the full benefits of a 180 t-stat until I get a tune, due to the fan issue, but will it harm my car until I get my tune? Will the fans kick on at all? It may be another month, possibly longer, before I can get my tune, partly due to funds, and partly due to sending two emails to Will Overkill and I still haven't heard anything back. This Friday will be the 4th week. I had questions for him before I ordered and was hoping to get some feedback before I went ahead and got the PCM.

Loud
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I think I figured out that I don't want a reverse poppet, but what about brand? Stant vs Gates? Is either better? Are both elcheapo knock off brands (this is rockauto)? Autozone has a 180 degree by a brand "failsafe".

Any thoughts?

Loud
brich

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i had my autozone 180* t stat put in about 2 weeks ago and its been doing fine since, i do a lot of city driving and stop go traffic here in L.A. ,it never reaches half way...so its doing its job i guess, i dont think theres a big difference between all the thermostats...but im not sure,you'll be fine either way

but i got the DuraLast brand and not Failsafe
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Too get the full benefit of a 180 thermostat you'll want too tune your engine fans too the proper setting. You won't see much, if any, of a difference just throwing in a 180 t-stat and calling it a day.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Too get the full benefit of a 180 thermostat you'll want too tune your engine fans too the proper setting. You won't see much, if any, of a difference just throwing in a 180 t-stat and calling it a day.

I understand about not getting the full benefit. I just didn't want to do anything that will hurt my car. Im draining the radiator to replace all the water in there that I put in after my overheating issue, and figured I'd switch the thermostat while I already had the water drained instead of having to do it again when I get the thermostat.

Loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: