NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Random Starting Issues
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Random Starting Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staran68
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject:  Random Starting Issues Reply with quote

not sure which category to post this in..

I'm hoping to narrow down what might be happening when i try to start my car sometimes. I have 3 different things happening, sometimes all together, sometimes none at all, and sometimes just 2 of the 3. No consistency to any of them, really..

First, i often have trouble turning the key. Jiggling it around for a while, it eventually turns so i can try and start it.

Second, the car occasionally doesn't start, and i get the flashing security light, and i have to wait the 10 minutes and try again.

Third, sometimes when the car starts, all the gauges and the radio are off. My turn signals work (and flash on the cluster), but i cant turn on/off traction control, view speed/rpm, etc.

From all the reading ive done, im looking at the passlock sensor and an ignition switch. just hoping for a second opinion, so i don't spend money i don't need to. already replacing a ton of stuff that's decided to go wrong this summer as it is..

thanks
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

no one have any insight to any of these issues? im mostly curious about the third one, where the car starts but the gauges and radio dont work.
02impalals

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you have to wiggle your key in the ugn switch I would say replace both. I have a new ign switch keyed to use my keys and am having the same issue of the car not starting. I got a new switch with a fresh key and no more issues. The switch sends resistance to the passlock and if any variance it shuts the car down.

01 Impala LS- SS cluster, SS exhaust, SLP grille, GMPP handling sway bars, tubular trailing arms front and rear strut bars, KYB AGX struts and SSC Gen 2 springs, convertor delete pipe and some nice window tint....
88 Ranger- with a F/I 302 on 36" super swampers - "Rednecked"
73 Cutlass- with a 432 big block and a lot of go fast goodies
82 Cutlass- 350 weekend cruiser
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The first two seems like a pass-lock issue and tumbler issue.
The third one seems like BCM issue.

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If i replace the passlock sensor and ingition switch, are there any other parts i'd need to do the work? or is it as easy as unplugging the old parts and putting in the new? (after taking apart the whole dash, of course).
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My old man had a no-start, wait 10 minutes problem with his 02. He also had the key-on, most of the dash nonfunctioning issue.

He ended up replacing the ignition cylinder and the BCM. Ran him about 700, I think.

Can't give you any info about the installation or tools required, my old man had everything done at the dealer.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

$700's not a number i like seeing, but good info either way. Guess i deal with it a bit longer while i save up for that one
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

staran68 wrote:
$700's not a number i like seeing, but good info either way. Guess i deal with it a bit longer while i save up for that one

We get screwed a bit up here in Canada, especially for parts. I'd suggest you get a quote from a dealer and see where you stand wth pricing locally.

Also, if you have a spare key that you rarely use, maybe try using it. Sometimes worn keys cause funny little issues. If the backup key works, make another copy for a new backup key. I doubt this will solve you problem but it may help a bit.

Good luck!

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
staran68 wrote:

We get screwed a bit up here in Canada, especially for parts. I'd suggest you get a quote from a dealer and see where you stand wth pricing locally.

Also, if you have a spare key that you rarely use, maybe try using it. Sometimes worn keys cause funny little issues. If the backup key works, make another copy for a new backup key. I doubt this will solve you problem but it may help a bit.

Good luck!

The spare key thing did work for me for a while. I bought the car new in 2001, and used just 1 key for the first 9 years. a few years ago, this passlock issue started acting up and swapping my worn key for my other one solved it for a while. wish i had thought of making another spare back then, though
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

recommendation, is to pick up a used ignition switch and try it first, either at a junk yard, or off ebay. Morad's parts company usually gives a good deal on them. Try that if it doesn't work. Talk to a dealer and see what they would charge you to program a bcm, and if they would just program one if you bought it yourself. Usally if they will do that it will be about $80. IF not they will charge you 400 something for both the bcm and the programming of it. If they will just program it, buy a bcm from rock auto as it will be much cheaper, take it in and get it programmed.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

staran68 wrote:
Wish i had thought of making another spare back then, though

The dealer can cut a new key for you based on your VIN.

That said, I don't know what they charge locally. I think I paid $70 for a new key, programmed, from the dealer (for my 2003 Grand Am). Some people say that you don't need a programmed key for the Impalas. I think it is based on whether there is a 'plus sign' in the metal of the key near the hilt/wide end.

Again, not sure if it's worth your trouble to go have a key cut then turn around and have to replace the ignition cylinder anyway.

You could try cleaning the ignition, but I've never done it and don't know how. I don't remember there ever being a how-to on the forum about it.

70_Malibu
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try this out before you blow bucks on a new ignition cylinder to solve a PASSLOCK issue:

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=44480

But being able to start it with no dash lights and no traction control doesn't sound like it's just that.

staran68
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its really starting to sound like all 3 things are failing at once.. maybe after i fix the fuel pump on the yukon now, i'll save up again for this project..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: