NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - PROPER way to flush coolant system
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

PROPER way to flush coolant system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:  PROPER way to flush coolant system Reply with quote

So I'm coming up on a maintenance weekend, and want to include a coolant flush and replacement along with it for a couple of reasons. One, being to clean out my coolant reservoir of all the gunk that the dealer didn't clean out when they replaced the LIM gasket and elbows. It makes it a real PITA to see how much fluid I have in there. Two, I've got the water in the dash sound and understand this to mean there is air in the system. I've read that I have to "burp" the system, but am not 100% certain of the procedure. I understand there is a burping screw or something on the thermostat housing, but want to make sure I don't get sprayed with 200 degree coolant while im doing this.

Hopefully getting there soon with all my maintenance work. I've been stockpiling supplies to do it all in one weekend. New accessory belt, SC belt, SC oil, thermostat, plugs, wires, seafoam and seafoam deep creep, new oil filter with 5 quarts of castrol edge full synthetic 5w30, cabin air filter, and a surprise. The only thing I think I left off my list was a transmission filter with gasket, and tranny fluid. Im a little timid to do that. I've never messed with a tranny before, other than replacing a clutch in an old 4 speed Toyota truck.

Loud

Last edited by LoudImpala on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On my 3800 to get the air out of the system I've always left the bleeder screw loose, filled the radiator up, started the car and added coolant until it wouldn't take anymore. I then put the cap on, made sure there was coolant in the overflow bottle and let it run until coolant started coming out of the little bleeder screw. Tightened it up and have never had an issue with "burping" or that sloshing sound people complain about in the dash.

LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
On my 3800 to get the air out of the system I've always left the bleeder screw loose, filled the radiator up, started the car and added coolant until it wouldn't take anymore. I then put the cap on, made sure there was coolant in the overflow bottle and let it run until coolant started coming out of the little bleeder screw. Tightened it up and have never had an issue with "burping" or that sloshing sound people complain about in the dash.

Cool deal. What about flushing the system? I've seen a couple of different methods after searching, but not sure which is the best. I've also read not to use the prestone flush stuff in GM cars, but can't find anything to back that up.

Loud
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can remove the drain c**k from the radiator and flush water through the radiator, or you can remove the knock sensors and flush water through the block too.

Typically I just use the radiator drain c**k, remove as much fluid as I can, then fill with water, then run it through the car for a little bit, then flush through the radiator, and repeat until it is clear.

Then I fill back up with as close to a 50/50 that I can.

Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Take it to a shop. So much easier. $75, one hour and all new coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: