NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Trans Problems
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Trans Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigsapper
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:  Trans Problems Reply with quote

Well I figured I'd add a thread to the list of all the other threads about this all over the internet.

Problems:
o Bad hesitation on shifts, especially 1-2
o Slam/bang shifts (x5) from start or low speed takeaway.
o General odd, malaise behavior overall

I've had the transmission serviced every 30k miles and was due for #3, but a recent fiasco with attempting to replace this car with another daily driver has left me with needing this car to provide me reliable transportation for at least the next year/15k miles.

So I took it to a local transmission shop to have the Sonnax Sure-Cure kit installed and potentially to have the entire transmission rebuilt if necessary. After test driving and pulling the pan, they opted only for doing the valve body overhaul.

The car now drives and shifts like I would expect it to, but never did.

Out the door price was $1,600 about $1k less than what I was expecting for a full on rebuild.
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All of those problems can/usually are related to bad solenoids. My 04 did it all, I spent ~$215 including parts and it has ran great ever since. These trans are notorious for failure though.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
All of those problems can/usually are related to bad solenoids. My 04 did it all, I spent ~$215 including parts and it has ran great ever since. These trans are notorious for failure though.

I hope this is all I have to do. The only thing my trans does is hardshift occasionally.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:

I hope this is all I have to do. The only thing my trans does is hardshift occasionally.

Mine did that for years before it finally decided to crap itself. Just drive it until it becomes a burden, then seek the repair job.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

Mine did that for years before it finally decided to crap itself. Just drive it until it becomes a burden, then seek the repair job.

Yeah, but simple solenoid change should be cheaper than a rebuild. Although it's had the same black fluid in it since 2008 when I got it so it's probably already toast. I wonder why these trans suck so much. Almost as bad as the Turbo 200. Crying or Very sad

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
IffyG wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

Yeah, but simple solenoid change should be cheaper than a rebuild. Although it's had the same black fluid in it since 2008 when I got it so it's probably already toast. I wonder why these trans suck so much. Almost as bad as the Turbo 200. Crying or Very sad

Before 03...cheap parts such as non-heat treated output shaft. Before 00 the 4t60e was vacuum controled, 00 was the 1st year for electronic controlled 4t65e. My info may incorrect. However, by 06 the trans's should have been indestructable, but failures after 100k are I guess acceptable. However, as said above all you need is 200 bucks and some time.
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It was $146 for labor. I had planned on doing it myself because there are plenty of how-tos out there but it got pretty bad before I had time to tear it all down. Occasional slow shift and then it started shifting really hard, shaking the whole car. Thats when I said to hell with it and brought it to my usual guy that does my inspections.

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
IffyG wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

Before 03...cheap parts such as non-heat treated output shaft. Before 00 the 4t60e was vacuum controled, 00 was the 1st year for electronic controlled 4t65e. My info may incorrect. However, by 06 the trans's should have been indestructable, but failures after 100k are I guess acceptable. However, as said above all you need is 200 bucks and some time.

Mostly correct. I believe they started being electronically controlled in at least as soon as 97.

Not sure if the 4t65e was used in cars other than w-bodies, but at least for Grand Prix's, 97 GT's were still the 4t60, while the 97 GTP's had the 4t65eHD. All GP's after that used the 4t65e with the HD version in the GTP's.

In 03, the valve body was changed. Also, the 4th clutch shaft was hardened. (this is where I may be incorrect)

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped

Last edited by outonthetiles on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
It was $146 for labor. I had planned on doing it myself because there are plenty of how-tos out there but it got pretty bad before I had time to tear it all down. Occasional slow shift and then it started shifting really hard, shaking the whole car. Thats when I said to hell with it and brought it to my usual guy that does my inspections.

That's not too bad.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
kp_432
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.03

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:

What were the problems? Just solenoids? Thanks
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

kp_432 wrote:
VTSS wrote:

What were the problems? Just solenoids? Thanks

Yeah just the solenoids. I had them all replaced while it was apart. The bad solenoid(s) did not cause any DTC's so dont let the shop say that isnt the problem when it is very likely the problem. I would recommend bringing your own trans fluid to make sure the right kind is put back in. I would also have them do a transmission filter change but do NOT let them do a "pressure flush" on the transmission, only a drain, filter and refill.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
The bad solenoid(s) did not cause any DTC's so dont let the shop say that isnt the problem when it is very likely the problem. I would recommend bringing your own trans fluid to make sure the right kind is put back in.

I agree on both counts. My rebuild was acting up without throwing codes so the shop was hesitant to do anything until I forced them to watch videos of what it was doing. I also found out they put in some random universal fluid in the first rebuild that is not Dexron VI (they went with GM fluid this time around...).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
XXWoodmanXX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the same symptoms as listed in the original post, but know what was the cause of mine???

Clogged catalytic converter. Wink
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was about to search, but beings this topics about....

I just had my trans in my 2003 rebuilt and after 10k, its beginning to start a hard shift from 2 to 1 or 1 to 2. Any idea whats up?

Sometimes, the game gets old Smile

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ptrfair wrote:
I was about to search, but beings this topics about....

I just had my trans in my 2003 rebuilt and after 10k, its beginning to start a hard shift from 2 to 1 or 1 to 2. Any idea whats up?

Sometimes, the game gets old Smile

If you only have 10k on the rebuild, it should still be under the warranty. Most places (at least around where I'm at) have an pretty good mileage warranty after a rebuild, I want to say 3 year unlimited mileage, but I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: