NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Cant get crankshaft pulley bolt off!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cant get crankshaft pulley bolt off!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lokizan

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject:  Cant get crankshaft pulley bolt off! Reply with quote

02 3.8

Im trying to change my crankshaft position sensor but i cant get the crankshaft bolt off. Im using 1/2 impact, albeit a cheap one and im wondering if i just need to use one with more torque, its rated at 250ft/lbs, didnt think the bolt was on that tight. Tried smacking the bolt with a large hammer and cant quite find anything to hold the crankshaft so i can use a breaker and cheater bar on it. Tried the starter method and that didnt budge the bolt. Any suggestion on how to get it off?
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try increasing the line pressure to the impact. It will make a difference if the air line is 3/8 or 1/2 as well as the fittings on the line. Sometimes you can try a little heat on the bolt, but usually a good impact does the trick. If you can spring for a new impact, a good one is a ingersol rand 2131 which is the same as the craftsman professional model.

I had one on a 22re motor that my 2135 ti max wouldn't take off till it was cherry red, but it also had 379k miles on it.
lokizan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I blew my gun increasing the pressure to 100psi! LOL like i said it was a very cheap model so i wasnt suprised. Im thinking about renting an electric impact tomorrow, im not even sure a more powerful pneumatic impact will work since my compressor can only operate @ 90psi 4.0cfm max. I have read online how guys are swearing by the starter method, i may give that another try tomorrow, i just dont want to destroy my starter or possibly mess up the flywheel
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow, 100 psi shouldn't break the hammers in the impact, hb special? There is a video of some guys who put a breaker bar and a socket on the bolt and tried to start the car. Broke the bolt loose. Seems like a bad idea.
lokizan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Got the bolt off! I soaked it with pb blaster and waited overnight and the next day used the starter method and it came right off no problem!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: