NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - More problems with he 01
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

More problems with he 01

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:  More problems with he 01 Reply with quote

So, after replacing the upper intake on the 01 the car seemed to run fine, but after just 1 week of replacing the intake, the engine decided to die in the middle of the highway, making a horrible noise, there problem was a broken rod, Shocked against my will my father decided to rebuilt the engine, the car runs perfect now, but there's a HUGE oil leak coming from the timing chain cover, the A/C doesnt work all the time I guess that's a bad BCM, in addition to that the car is giving a ridiculous gas mileage somewhere between 7 and 8 miles per gallon, I'm done with this car I don't want it anymore, but I have to repair it before I sell it, what could be the cause of such bad gas mileage?
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The motor blew up because 1 cylinder hydrolocked and dusted a rod. I had the same problem, but mine filled the cylinder up overnight and wouldn't start. I found the upper intake was the culpret...brand new from zz, stuff happens. Is this the 3.8 or 3.4 motor? How many miles on it since the rebuild? I am guessing the check engine light is not on. When the rod broke my guess is all that stuff that was in the cylinder....some went in the crank case and some went down the exhuast. If enough of that stuff went down your exhaust could have wiped the cat out. Sometimes when the cat goes bad it will not illuminate the ses, but will store a code. Easiest way to check is to take it up to an exhaust shop and have them see if your cat is plugged either with a laser thermometer, or they can do a back pressure test.
ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is the 3.8 liter 65K original miles, like 300 miles since rebuilt, no CEL, the car has plenty of power and don't hesitate, the engine temperature is a bit higher than before, it never reached half mark before now is common or sometimes even above half mark.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The temp going half way up is normal, sounds like your t-stat was hosed before. I am assuming the mileage is hand calc'd rather that the idiot meter above the mirror. Sounds like you still might have a bit of air in the system if it goes up and down, but nothing to worry about. That could contribute to your bad gas mileage if the knock sensor sees any of the caviaiton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: