NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Dealer front end alingment
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Dealer front end alingment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:  Dealer front end alingment Reply with quote

I put my new summer tires on a few weeks back and my passenger side front tire had some terrible tire wear on the inside of the tread. I checked the ball joints and tie rod ends and the tie rod ends were shot. I replaced those now I know I need an alignment. The car doesnt pull in either direction, no shaking or problems with the steering but I have heard by default you need an alignment after replacing tie rod ends. Has anyone got an alignment done at the dealer? Good/bad experience?

90% of the small tire/alignment businesses in my area have a bunch of teenage-20 year old ricer honda boys working there that I would never let anywhere near my car. I do my best to do my own work but I dont have the equipment for an alignment.

Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dealer front end alingment Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
I put my new summer tires on a few weeks back and my passenger side front tire had some terrible tire wear on the inside of the tread. I checked the ball joints and tie rod ends and the tie rod ends were shot. I replaced those now I know I need an alignment. The car doesnt pull in either direction, no shaking or problems with the steering but I have heard by default you need an alignment after replacing tie rod ends. Has anyone got an alignment done at the dealer? Good/bad experience?

90% of the small tire/alignment businesses in my area have a bunch of teenage-20 year old ricer honda boys working there that I would never let anywhere near my car. I do my best to do my own work but I dont have the equipment for an alignment.

Anytime bad front end parts or struts are replaced you need an alignment. I would ask to see the printout before the alignment is started. As long as the person tightens all the bolts and gets the total toe right and lets you know if there are any camber issues it doesn't matter much who does it. You can always post your after numbers so those of us who know what it should look like can confirm that it is correct. I have had a lot of my alignment customers come to me to check their alignment after another shop fixes it and quite frequently I find that people only look to align your vehicle to within spec, but that does not mean the alignment is correct. Talk with the alignment tech and ask him some questions that will help you decide whether to do it there.

And alway align front and back of your car, never just front.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dealer front end alingment Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
VTSS wrote:

Anytime bad front end parts or struts are replaced you need an alignment. I would ask to see the printout before the alignment is started. As long as the person tightens all the bolts and gets the total toe right and lets you know if there are any camber issues it doesn't matter much who does it. You can always post your after numbers so those of us who know what it should look like can confirm that it is correct. I have had a lot of my alignment customers come to me to check their alignment after another shop fixes it and quite frequently I find that people only look to align your vehicle to within spec, but that does not mean the alignment is correct. Talk with the alignment tech and ask him some questions that will help you decide whether to do it there.

And alway align front and back of your car, never just front.

Exactly what I was looking for thank you. I will post the info when I get it done, hopefully on thursday.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well here are the results

Before:

After:

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The fronts were pretty bad. You definitely needed an alignment...or a stockpile of new tires. Very Happy
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont know much about alignments but why are there still numbers that arent ".00"? Or is that one of those things that is impossible to get exactly perfect?
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It would take a lot of work and time to get an alignment exactly perfect. There is generally a range that is considered "acceptable" by factory standards. Also, they're not exactly 0.00 because they're not meant to me. Your car should have a few degrees of negative camber, and a few degrees of caster (not sure exactly what the factory specs are).

Not sure if that explanation makes any sense.. I have a hard time explaining alignments..

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

outonthetiles wrote:
It would take a lot of work and time to get an alignment exactly perfect. There is generally a range that is considered "acceptable" by factory standards. Also, they're not exactly 0.00 because they're not meant to me. Your car should have a few degrees of negative camber, and a few degrees of caster (not sure exactly what the factory specs are).

Not sure if that explanation makes any sense.. I have a hard time explaining alignments..

Explained good enough for me. By the way how is the SS exhaust treating ya? Very Happy
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's going on tomorrow hopefully. The hanger's in place but I need to buy a grinder to get the existing cat-back off. I can't wait to get rid of the ugly stock single exhaust.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
Well here are the results

Before:

After:

the front was done perfectly it appears. they did not align the rear and you are going to need more total toe on the rear than that unless you like buying new tires frequently

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What should the rear toe be?
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Modern alignment machines are so easy to use, anyone can do it. They tell the tech what tools he needs, show him pictures of what to move, and hold his hand every step of the way. I wouldn't worry about the operator as much as I'd want to see what equipment they're using.

That's what you want to see - white hexagons or octagons that clamp to the rim, no wires, and a hard-mounted laser array. If the shop doesn't have that - if they're still using manual heads, pontoons and generally old looking stuff - they're not that interested in doing your alignment anyway.

ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:
What should the rear toe be?

For the amount of neg camber your rear wheels have I would say total toe should be between .12 and .15. Ill double chexk with my alignment tech when I get to work today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: