NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Spark Plug Wires, Autolite 104s
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Spark Plug Wires, Autolite 104s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject:  Spark Plug Wires, Autolite 104s Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I did a search, and couldn't find much, other than the back plugs being a PITA to change, so figured I'd start a topic.

Along with my planned upgrades, I'm thinking about going with MSD plug wires, and using the Autolite 104 plugs.

Is switching to the MSD plug wires and cooler spark plugs a bad idea before doing all the other mods? Along with replacing some worn OEM stuff, I figured I'd give the car some well needed maintenance that I haven't gotten to yet due to finances. I'm probably also going to spring for having the dealership do the tranny service, but I want to do all that I can manage out of my home garage myself, and plugs and wires is right up my alley.

Loud
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MSD plug wires are a horrible idea. Your only options are AC Delco (I sound like a broken record...) or PRJ wires. Anything else is a recipe for misfires. I wouldn't mess with 104s until you get into smaller pulleys, but I don't know for sure. Wait for a member with an L67 to chime in on that.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Copper spark plugs? Hope you like doing plugs every time you rotate your tires.

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You don't really NEED the 104's until you have other mods going, I would probably be doing headers and an intake first, and worry about the 104s before you drop pulley sizes. Also, as stated, you will likely have to changed out the 104's a lot more often. A lot of people get problems after 10k or so...but they are dirt cheap and easy to change, so its not a big deal (to me) but thats why I wouldn't bother till you have the other mods in place

And as iffy said. MSD is a terrible idea with these cars. Ac Delco are the stock replacement that will last forever, or if you want upgraded ones, the only good trusted ones are PRJ (or ZZP). Few people complain about ZZP, I have them but only because I got them brand new for $40 bucks. If I were to pay full price, I'd go with PRJ's

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow those PRJs are pricey. Looks like if I want red wires, I'll have to go with those.

I always thought MSD was a premium brand. At least they used to be. Now that I've been looking them up, it looks like people have nicknamed them "my spark disappeared".

Part of the reason I was looking at the msd wires is because they're red. Im kind of wanting to detail my engine bay a little bit, possibly either painting or powder coating the blower and valve covers black, with red accents.

At this point im not planning on a pulley swap. I know my planned mods will set me up for that, but its not part of my plans currently.

I don't mind the more frequent changes on the 104s. I just wanted to make sure they wont have negative effects BEFORE I do the intake, exhaust, cooler tstat, plog, and tuned pcm.

I should get a bonus with my next pay, so if my MAF is OK, its likely I'll be doing the plugs, wires, intake, and exhaust all at once. Then I'll do the tstat and pcm later.

Loud
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The PRJs are expensive, but its because they are good quality.

Sounds like you got a good plan, the PCM is by far the best, basic mod (without getting into heavy modding)..because it wake the car up so much, so once you have the other mods on and install the PCM itll feel like a new car

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
The PRJs are expensive, but its because they are good quality.

Sounds like you got a good plan, the PCM is by far the best, basic mod (without getting into heavy modding)..because it wake the car up so much, so once you have the other mods on and install the PCM itll feel like a new car

Yeah, im not getting into anything crazy with this car since its my DD. The only reasons im doing half the stuff is partly because the OEM needs replaced, and partly to scratch an itch to get a new car. I figure if I fix this one up a bit, I wont go out and buy a brand new Mustang like I've been wanting to do for so long and put myself into a new car payment.

So you think running the 104s for a couple weeks before getting any other mods done would be OK on the stock engine?

Loud
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MSD is a premium brand, but these cars have very picky electrical systems and just dont like MSD wires (similar to Bosch O2 sensors)

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, with my wallet $130 lighter, I am currently waiting for delivery of a set of red prj wires with black wire keepers. I bought a set of autolite 605s to go in as well.

Any tips to doing this job? Is a gap of .55 sufficient for having a cai and stock everything else......so far? If I don't care to save the old boots, do I need to buy a plug puller? I see there are some metal boot shields on the existing plug wires. Do those just slide off with the old boots or is there a trick to getting them off?

Loud
sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is really no trick to get them off. They are either easy to get off or hard as f***. Being that you are not going to reuse them if they are hard to get off just get some pliers and yank them off.

As for the new setup, I'm running 104's at .055 and all is well with mines. You mentioned .55 in yours (Im assuming you meant .055). Anyways, just a rule of thumb, always start off with a larger gap and work your way down if you're getting misfires. I believe stock is around .060

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The PRJ wires don't require the use of the heatshield. I had a couple come off easily when I did mine and I had a couple that were an absolute bitch. I ended up using a pair of channel locks to rip those bastards off.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Prj wires came in yesterday.

Just a small update -

$&*# #@$% #&+* #$%%@#% #$#@$% #2 plug wire #$%& @#$@ %&$#@%$ !!!!!!!

That is all. Had to get that outta the system. Back to work. Only got #1 wire done so far. Can't get boot off #2 wire.

I currently don't have the motor mounts undone, but my car is sitting on a downgrade. If I end up loosening them, which bolts do I take out? The two holding the support to the radiator support, or one of the ones going through the bushings?

EDIT *****

Got 'er done. That is probably the single most frustrating job I've EVER had to do to a car. Changing the clutch in my 85 toyota pickup wasn't this difficult. Lost alot of blood and sweat on this one!

Loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: