NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - ABS, Service Traction Lights
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

ABS, Service Traction Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bundy
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject:  ABS, Service Traction Lights Reply with quote

I apologize in advance if this has been covered some place else here and I just missed it.

I recently had a wheel bearing replaced at a GM dealership on my 2004 Impala LS that was supposed to solve an issue with my Service Traction Light, Traction Light and ABS light.

About a week later the issue with the traction control kicking on when I turned left was gone, however I am still having the lights come on.

Just today in a short period of time, the ABS, Traction and Service Traction lights came on three times in less than 30 minutes. Each time I turned the car off and removed the key before restarting. The lights went out each time but returned within a few minutes of driving.

I'm hoping the lights will come on later tonight and I'll get it to a friends house where he has a Code Reader to see if that pinpoints the problem but I was wondering if any of you might have an immediate reaction to this description and know exactly what it is?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sometimes there is a poor ground for the ABS computer. I couldn't tell you where exactly that is located, but a few people have had recurrent ABS/TCS light issues and regrounding the computer helped. It might also be worth looking into the wiring to the wheel hubs, it can get chewed up and cause all sorts of headaches.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Bundy
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would have thought if the wiring to the wheel hubs were bad they would have caught that when they changed my bearing. I've never known a dealership to turn down an opportunity to do more work when possible.

I took the car for a nice long drive this evening and as my luck would have it, no lights came on. So I continue to be baffled at this point.

Maybe I should go buy my own code reader and keep it with me at all times just in case it happens again. I'm starting to think it's more likely a computer or sensor issue but that's only a guess.
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A proper scantool (not the cheapo autozone ones) will tell you which hub is giving you issues. I'd pull all of the plugs and try to sand off any corrosion, and put them back together with a little dielectric grease.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Possibly an issue out of another hub? I had the same issues a couple years ago in my 04 SS, and ended up having 3 of the 4 hubs replaced as they were all on their way out the door. I got lucky with having a really nice extended warranty, and my tech at the dealer would look for other stuff that was wrong and fix it all at once. This is also how they found my steering gear was leaking, as well as one of the trans cooler lines leaking. So, since I took it in with that problem, they went ahead and checked all the hubs at the same time.

Loud
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the wiring to the hubs, it's a known issue. Especially look anywhere it flexes when the wheels are turned, and anywhere it flexes when the suspension moves.

Start them out right...
Bundy
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I had a feeling it might be the wiring to the hub since it's intermittent.

I have to ask though...is this a serious concern that I need to get addressed right away or just a mild inconvenience that I can get to down the road when I have the cash to do so?

As much as it annoys me, I can live with the lights coming on for now if it isn't going to lead to me having braking issues.
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mild inconvenience.

Or if you're like me and don't care for ABS, it's an improvement.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
tedy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Would that cause the horn not to chirp when you lock the car or set off the alarm?
I noticed that when the abs/trac goes off the horn stops working. Yes the horn still works when you push it down. i have also noticed that every now and then the speedometer wants to read 10 mph over what your doing. Weird?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: