NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Gas tank wont fill up.....overflows
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Gas tank wont fill up.....overflows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.8

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject:  Gas tank wont fill up.....overflows Reply with quote

So for the last 2 days i tried to fill up with gas and i was low (1 white line above E)....but the gas just spilled right back out as if i had a full tank and no more gas could go it. I was like wtf. Ive tried replacing the evap canister in the past with no luck...could i have a clogged hose? What should i do an dhow do i fix it???

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm sure if you've replaced the evap canister, you're already past this but you're shutting off your engine when you refill, correct?

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes i am

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check your vent valve, see if it's stuck closed. Vent valve should be open unless the ecm is checking the EVAP system. Closed vent valve won't let the air out of the tank as you refuel. For a quick check, remove the hose from the vent valve and try to fill-up.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been having this same problem. It only does it when super low (below 1/4 tank). I ended up having to pull my fuel pump, fill 2 gallons in that way(with a gas tank not the pump at the station lol), and then it had enough that it stopped rejecting it.

I pulled my vent and evap line to make sure it wasn't blocked or anything and it was fine besides some dust. I've been making sure to not let it get below 1/4 tank and I haven't had a problem since. This happened multiple times to me. tried different gas stations and never figured it out.

If I waited with the car sitting for a few hours I could usually get some to go in..pour slowly. Also out of curiosity, is your gas tank level sensor working properly or no?

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mines is the same way...i let the car sit for a while and try to refill and then gas is able to go in. My gas level sensor is working fine also. My fuel pump is about 1 year old.

13.4 @ 106

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

GOTIT4CHEAP16 wrote:
Mines is the same way...i let the car sit for a while and try to refill and then gas is able to go in. My gas level sensor is working fine also. My fuel pump is about 1 year old.

Alright that rules out my level sensor cuz mine is messed up but i wasn't sure if that was the cause. My dad said when he had the impala it started doing the same thing (somewhere around 2005) but he got rear ended bad, and had the gas tanks and all the evap stuff (at least everything back there) replaced and he said then it worked fine..up until now..

I can't figure this s**t out and its annoying lol

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, update. I just tried to leave to go back to school, and I have 1/4 tank of gas..what do ya know? Gas tank decided it doesn't want to be filled. I'm printing out my papers and showering at my parents now, then I'm gonna try filling it with a gas can before I try the gas station again.

This s**t is getting old, and I'm on the verge of going to a yard when summer school is over, and pulling an entire new tank and lines and everything from the fuel filter back.

You got any update on your situation?

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to update. I figured out why mines wouldn't fill. The vacuum line from my throttle body leasing to my evaporate canister under the hood was crinkled up and basically blocking air....kinds like house a garden hose gets krinkled up sometimes and water flow stops. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. So I unkrinkled it and made sure it was ran straight and vacuum was going through and never had a problem refilling since. Filled up 3 times so far since.

13.4 @ 106

VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on what you figured out.

Nice catch there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: