NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New exhaust questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New exhaust questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:  New exhaust questions Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

It's come time to start looking into new exhaust pretty soon for the 04 SS. I've been digging around, mostly looking at ZZP performances offerings, and have some questions for the experts out there.

I'm looking at definitely getting a new catted downpipe, but I'm not sure if I should go with the 2.5 inch or 3 inch version. I'm also concerned with passing emissions inspections since I live in an emission state.

I see that it's recommended to go with a 3" DP with a supercharger, bolted into a 3" catback system, but would this require a new manifold? Is the output on the stock manifold 2.5" inch or 3"? Does it matter? I'm also considering getting the PLOG, so that may make the above question a moot point.

**edited to add - If I do get the front PLOG, should I also get a new crossover pipe? What about the rear manifold? How hard is it to change the rear manifold? Does the engine have to be pulled? I know the front manifold comes out easily, just not sure about the rear.

When I go catback, I see that there are options for a resonator and no resonator. What exactly is a resonator, what does it do, and does it affect passing an emissions inspection?

As far as the catback system goes, all I want to do at this point is get pipes from the cat back to the rear of the car, to bolt up 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. The only thing I know for certain so far about replacing my exhaust system is that I want Flowmaster 40 series.

At some point, I'm also going to be adding a CAI, either Thrasher or K&N aircharger kit, and possibly a cooler T-Stat. I've read the "safely modding 3800 series engines" thread, and I'm left with these questions that I didn't get an answer to. Helping my car breath better and run cooler are my main concerns, but I understand that these mods will set me up to be able to drop a pulley size on my SC. I'm not certain I want to go that route yet, as this is my daily driver and I'm most concerned with reliability right now.

Lastly, with these mods, minus the SC pulley, just the CAI and exhaust, do I need to look into getting a tuned PCM, or will the stock tune be good for a CAI, new 3" exhaust, and a cooler T-Stat?

Whatever I do, I MUST pass emissions inspections. The one thing attractive about the tuned PCM is the ability to delete the 00128 code for the rear O2 sensor throwing a code due to the high flow cat and better flowing exhaust. Will having the code deleted allow me to pass inspection? I'm not sure if the inspection stations hook up a sniffer to the tailpipe or just plug in a scanner.

Loud
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Idk much about the S/C 3800 - but i'll answer what i think i know. Very Happy Also don't know about emission states & effects. Confused

"When I go catback, I see that there are options for a resonator and no resonator. What exactly is a resonator, what does it do, and does it affect passing an emissions inspection?"
Resonator keeps cabin noise down... if you like or don't mind drone you can cut costs by just going without.

"At some point, I'm also going to be adding a CAI, either Thrasher or K&N aircharger kit, and possibly a cooler T-Stat. I've read the "safely modding 3800 series engines" thread, and I'm left with these questions that I didn't get an answer to. Helping my car breath better and run cooler are my main concerns, but I understand that these mods will set me up to be able to drop a pulley size on my SC. I'm not certain I want to go that route yet, as this is my daily driver and I'm most concerned with reliability right now."
Why not make your own CAI for 30-50$ - K&N and Thrasher are $$$. T-Stat you really need a tune for (iirc to make the rad's fans turn on at the lower temp). Don't go down that route, then?

"Lastly, with these mods, minus the SC pulley, just the CAI and exhaust, do I need to look into getting a tuned PCM, or will the stock tune be good for a CAI, new 3" exhaust, and a cooler T-Stat?"
No tune is needed for the intake or exhaust, but t-stat you do.

If I'm wrong on anything, others will chime in. See the top two stickies in this section for info on exhaust, too.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When you say you live in an emissions state, what do you mean? OBD2 scan? California? Visual inspection? Odds are you will need a PCM tune to get rid of the rear oxygen sensor codes that will inevitably trip with an aftermarket cat, but aside from that as long as you have a cat and aren't throwing codes, you should be good in most states.

I'd go with a 3" DP since you are blown and use whatever you get fabbed up to replace you busted exhaust. Even a 2.5" exhaust system wont be a restriction until you are making huge amounts of power. You won't need a new manifold if you go with a bigger DP, it'll bolt right up to what is one the car.

There isn't an aftermarket equivalent to a powerlog for the rear manifold for a non-turbo car. You can get a ported manifold, but if you are considering doing a PLOG, ported rear and a DP, you might as well spring for headers at that point.

You can install an aftermarket T-stat with out a tune, but you won't realize any gains without the PCM tune to change the fan turn on points.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
When you say you live in an emissions state, what do you mean? OBD2 scan? California? Visual inspection? Odds are you will need a PCM tune to get rid of the rear oxygen sensor codes that will inevitably trip with an aftermarket cat, but aside from that as long as you have a cat and aren't throwing codes, you should be good in most states.

I'd go with a 3" DP since you are blown and use whatever you get fabbed up to replace you busted exhaust. Even a 2.5" exhaust system wont be a restriction until you are making huge amounts of power. You won't need a new manifold if you go with a bigger DP, it'll bolt right up to what is one the car.

There isn't an aftermarket equivalent to a powerlog for the rear manifold for a non-turbo car. You can get a ported manifold, but if you are considering doing a PLOG, ported rear and a DP, you might as well spring for headers at that point.

You can install an aftermarket T-stat with out a tune, but you won't realize any gains without the PCM tune to change the fan turn on points.

I live in PA. I know they do a visual and the obd2, but not sure if they do a sniff test or not.

I didn't realize the cooler t-stat needed a tune to be taken advantage of. I just figured it would open up sooner, thereby keeping the engine cooler/more reliable/longer life.

Can I get a customized tune that just utilizes the mild mods without changing everything else? My main issue with the tune is that of the ones I've researched, they all change the shift points and transmission line pressures. I've read about how fragile these transmissions are in the first place, so I don't want to stress my tranny more than it is now with almost 90k on the clock. I'm not after crazy power results, and I really don't think I'll go down the road of changing the SC pulley. I just want to replace the stock stuff that is wearing out, and use aftermarket instead of OEM since IV will help the car perform a little bit better.

Loud
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For anything PCM tune related, I would go with Overkill. Firming up the shifts & having the transmission shift points modified will not affect the transmission adversely. It will allow you to run the 180* thermostat which helps out a lot, and overall, it will really wake your car up. When I had my Overkill'd PCM being reflashed, I hated driving my car with the factory PCM installed. It just seemed "eh". My MPG's have increased, and just the overall feel of driving the car has increased. It's a great investment that I know you won't regret.

Will's website is www.getoverkilled.ca

He is known for his great service and the great work he does on 3800 powered vehicles.

LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
For anything PCM tune related, I would go with Overkill. Firming up the shifts & having the transmission shift points modified will not affect the transmission adversely. It will allow you to run the 180* thermostat which helps out a lot, and overall, it will really wake your car up. When I had my Overkill'd PCM being reflashed, I hated driving my car with the factory PCM installed. It just seemed "eh". My MPG's have increased, and just the overall feel of driving the car has increased. It's a great investment that I know you won't regret.

Will's website is www.getoverkilled.ca

He is known for his great service and the great work he does on 3800 powered vehicles.

Thanks for the referral to that site. I see that their tune indicates it's actually easier on the transmission and extends the life of the engine and tranny. That is good to know.

Loud
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

In looking at the available cat-back systems, the only one I can find with 3 inch catback is ZZP, however, the only kits available are for 97-03 GPs and 04+ GP. If I go with the 3" from ZZP, which one should I choose for my 04 Impala? Aren't the GP and the Impala basically the same?

If I'm going with a 3" Downpipe, should I get the 3" catback to match it, or will the 2.5" suffice? Both systems narrow down to 2.25 inch for the muffler inlet anyways.

That aluminized 3" system by ZZP would definitely save some coin, but no way I'd get away with non-stainless up here with all the sodium chloride and salt they throw down on the roads in the winter. I'm already looking at replacing a piece of my fuel line if I can't get the old fuel filter off due to rust.

Loud
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

on my SS I ran a 3" DP with a full 2.5" catback (2.5" at the mufflers too). I had it custom fabbed by a local shop. Ran me under $400 for the pipe work and added my own mufflers, I went Borla. Used aluminized pipe and it was just replaces this year by the new owner (installed in 05)

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
on my SS I ran a 3" DP with a full 2.5" catback (2.5" at the mufflers too). I had it custom fabbed by a local shop. Ran me under $400 for the pipe work and added my own mufflers, I went Borla. Used aluminized pipe and it was just replaces this year by the new owner (installed in 05)

Very nice. I listened to your exhaust clip with the Flowmaster 40s. Did you have a resonator and were the 40s the original 40 or the delta flow?

I see you're in NY. So the aluminized held up to the northern winters for a good while?

Loud
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LoudImpala wrote:
Pitch Black SS wrote:

Very nice. I listened to your exhaust clip with the Flowmaster 40s. Did you have a resonator and were the 40s the original 40 or the delta flow?

I see you're in NY. So the aluminized held up to the northern winters for a good while?

Loud

had original 40's and ran a 24" long glass pack for a resonator. I later swapped in a set of Borla mufflers before a long road trip.

Aluminized held up for about 7 years before being replaced. I dont have a garage and the car was a daily driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: