NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Intake gasket change on 3.4 Impalas
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Intake gasket change on 3.4 Impalas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.81

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject:  Intake gasket change on 3.4 Impalas Reply with quote

Ive done the lim gaskets numerous times on my car and friends cars with 3.8 (L67's)..and its a breeze. I have a friend with a 3.4 and he says his gaskets are going and leaking coolant from the rear of his engine. How much harder are the intake gaskets to change on the 3.4's from the 3.8's? How much different are the gaskets also? Thanks.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The gaskets themselves are completely different because the intake manifold is completely different on the two engines. As far as the replacement goes, I believe it is a bit more complicated than the L36/L67 because the rocker arms/pushrods need to be removed to do the gaskets on the 3400. I've never done one, but I'd imagine if you can handle a LIM gasket on the 3800, you can probably do a 3400 with little trouble.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PBnj
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.13

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[quote="IffyG"]The gaskets themselves are completely different because the intake manifold is completely different on the two engines. As far as the replacement goes, I believe it is a bit more complicated than the L36/L67 because the rocker arms/pushrods need to be removed to do the gaskets on the 3400. I've never done one, but I'd imagine if you can handle a LIM gasket on the 3800, you can probably do a 3400 with little trouble.[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up... next to removing brackets here an there.. tell him to change both head gaskets while he's down there
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You do have to take the rockler arms off to remove the push rods.
Keep the push rods in order. Mixing up an intake rod with an Exhaust rod will result in a bent Intake value and push rod when you crank it over the first time after assembly.

Have a manual with complete torque specs handy.
Have a really good INCH pound torque wrench.
and do not exceed teh specs for the Rocker arm retorque or you will pull the threads out of the Head.

It take about hour or 2 longer than a 3.8.
The LIM end gaskets are made from the supplied RTV in th egasket set.
Most places list 2 gasket sets get the expensive one, it has the new Metal backed gaskets.

that about covers it.
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

60deg V6 intake gasket change is a huge pain in the ass. It pays next to nothing and every car that ever had a 60deg engine installed is owned by a cheap prick.

Here's how you do it:
Take off the overflow and set it aside. Remove the engine struts, ACC drive belt, ALT, PS pump, and all the vacuum, computer, injection and ignition equipment on top of the engine. Remove valve covers, UI, LI, rockers, pushrods. Clean gasket surfaces, replace everything.

When you order the gasket kit (Dorman 615-205), don't forget to get injector O-rings. (O-ring kit: AC-Delco 217-1427) They're not in the kits because the kits are made by idiots. Don't mess up the injector connectors or the pushrod locations. Intake pushrods are shorter than exhaust pushrods, in case you screw it up.

Torque the center bolts in the lower intake first. Those and the valve covers are torqued to 10ft-lbs, the rest of the intake bolts 18ft-lbs, the rockers 30deg past 25ft-lbs. If you get the Dorman kit, it comes with bolts for the lower intake. It also comes with a lot of stuff you don't need, because it covers multiple applications.

Change the oil at least twice after you do the job, or until it comes out free of coolant, then change the filter. If you're selling the job, sell plugs and wires too, and a thermostat and gasket, and a coolant flush, new air filter and top end/throttle body/fuel injector cleaning service. Clean out the overflow tank while you have everything apart so it looks like you did something.

GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. So i tackled the job and it took me all day starting at 8 am and engine at 9 pm. I then put everything back together and the car then starts getting a fuel leak from the Fuel Rail Inlet. Is there supposed to be a gasket or something for them? The leak comes from the behind after the thread bolt.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

PBnj
Dedicated
Dedicated

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Like the dude said you need the fuel injector fuel rail oring... put that on an you're good to go
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok cool thanks. Will autoone or advance sell them..

13.4 @ 106

PBnj
Dedicated
Dedicated

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can't think of the part number but advance had to order mine... that was an anxious 24 hours!
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Probably wouldn't have leaked if you used the quick disconnects like four inches away and left the rail alone. There's an O-ring on the fuel inlet and on the FPR. I don't remember if the inlet O-ring goes on the coupler or inside the rail. The O-ring kit number I have above doesn't include those O-rings.

GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn it....I was following instructions given online smh.

13.4 @ 106

GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea so i went to the junkyard and got the oring from 2 other 3400 and 3100 just in case so everything went good and i finally finished the crappy damn 3400 impala. Ill stick to my 3800. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

13.4 @ 106

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: