NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Vehicle surveillance *robbed 6/8 see bottom of pg2*
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Vehicle surveillance *robbed 6/8 see bottom of pg2*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.43

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject:  Vehicle surveillance *robbed 6/8 see bottom of pg2* Reply with quote

Does anyone use anything? Thinking about setting something up now seeing as i have witnessed another vehicle with stolen rims in my appartment parking lot and my own vehicle has been hit and runned twice in 6 months...

Last edited by k6ng6r00 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've thought of something like this before, but don't really have a need for a system like that where I live. I think it'd be pretty sweet to have a car alarm mated to a camera facing out of a window in the car in every direction, along with one mounted by the rearview mirror that has a full inside view. If you hooked them all up to be activated by a car alarm, and had them record everything for a certain amount of time (say 15 min) I'm sure that would be enough to get a good glimpse at whoever messed with your car. A system like that may already be available though...Any computer science nerds that can chime in? And I mean nerd in a good way lol Wink

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My car was getting egged relentlessly for 2-3 months straight every weekend. What i did was took an external hard drive and hooked it up to my lap top and ran a recording of my car during the night to get the plate, make, and model of the other car. Plus i put another laptop that i hit under my seat and only had the camera pointing out the back window to get a closer look. Just part where you can see your car from your apartment window or balcony, and set up cameras. Also, park under the lights in the parking lot..

If you buy a nice webcam or if you have a nice camera that can record straight to your hard drive (or you could even buy a huge ScanDisc or w/e they are called and put it into your camera) you can run constant surveillance on your car.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do you park in a well lit area? Otherwise you're looking at cams with low-light options, which is going to cost you more money (aside from the fact that you'll need multiple cameras to adequately cover).

I'd probably opt for a single camera pointed at one wheel if wheels are what you're concerned about. You could mount it on your balcony if you're close enough to your parking spot, or figure out some way to wire it to show the side of the car without being conspicuous.

If you're going to make it too obvious that you have a fancy setup just to catch theives, said setup may also end up missing. Wink

I wonder if one of those keyhole on pinhead cameras would provide enough resolution... wiring something into the side mirror would be a clean, hidden install Idea

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is going to sound stupid, but For a while someone kept stealing my valve stem caps, so I got a handful of cheap laser pointers and set up a laser grid around my car. Tested it out myself at night, and it was pretty intimidating at night walking toward the car and having like 3 or 4 lasers shining at you. Never had a stolen cap again, till the batteries died.

Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
This is going to sound stupid, but For a while someone kept stealing my valve stem caps, so I got a handful of cheap laser pointers and set up a laser grid around my car. Tested it out myself at night, and it was pretty intimidating at night walking toward the car and having like 3 or 4 lasers shining at you. Never had a stolen cap again, till the batteries died.

That's pretty funny lol
ive had 2 valve stem caps stolen too its just annoying

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
This is going to sound stupid

Yep... sounds pretty stupid to me. Laughing Although I guess if it was effective, I can't make too much fun of you.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:

You should have used dry ice as well. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The cameras need to be hidden and mounted in or on the vehicle

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If that's the case I'd try and find the smallest night-capable cameras possible and mount them in the mirror housings.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I vote say the mirror housing would be a good place. it would also double if someone was actually breaking into you car as well. I dont know about the pinhole size camera resolution though

LittleRock wrote:

It's just like pulling out. It's very tricky and isnt an exact science, but sometimes you just know.

helldorado wrote:
I can always tell when Wedebrook is around. Smells like sex and shame in here.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

there are actually very good pin hole sized cameras. You could buy a bigger camera as well. Take the iPhone cameras for example, very good resolution and technically small. The night cameras are gonna cost you more of a penny...

Honestly, you don't need to have it that concealed. Those who are stealing rims, which means in a hurry, aren't looking for hidden cameras on vehicles...

The mirror set up is a great idea if you could rig something up. Google and search around for small cameras that are effective at night

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am currently running three recording cameras on my car, they have actually come in handy a few times. mostly cause i witnessed accidents and i could give the sd card to the cops as evidence of what happened.

here is a link to the build thread i did http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=43397

k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thats awesome i love the headlight idea. I might try for something in the holes next to the fog lights, do you think the angle would work for it?
for the mirror housings, could the glass be replaced with a 2 way mirror?

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have actually begun looking into the two way glass on the mirrors, It is possible, im trying to figure out how much it would cost. The biggest issue to overcome is power consumption, which obviously goes up as you increase the amount of cameras, also Dvr technology for small scale vehicals is at the point where you can only pretty much find 2 channel dvrs so you need to buy one for every two cameras you have. I am currently in the process of installing my phase 2 headlights, i was planning on posting a build for them soon. They have more upgrades from the prototypes, and can serve many more functions along with consuming less power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: