NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Burning amp!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Burning amp!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject:  Burning amp! Reply with quote

I recently decided to mount my amp to the backseat so it would stop sliding around in my trunk. I finally went for a drive to work, which is about 20min away and usually the longest trip i take on a regular basis. while i got to work i decided to feel the amp. I could not leave my hand on the amp for more then 2 seconds, it was that hot. It would get warm on the floor of the trunk but not HOT. my question is I want to leave it there but I also don't want to blow it up. any ideas on how i could keep it cool? Thanks.!

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I mounted mine between the two 6X9's on the roof of the trunk. Just a couple of holes to drill, and some short screws, and it's out of the way & easily accessible. It works well for me Smile

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jnibbs24 wrote:
I recently decided to mount my amp to the backseat so it would stop sliding around in my trunk. I finally went for a drive to work, which is about 20min away and usually the longest trip i take on a regular basis. while i got to work i decided to feel the amp. I could not leave my hand on the amp for more then 2 seconds, it was that hot. It would get warm on the floor of the trunk but not HOT. my question is I want to leave it there but I also don't want to blow it up. any ideas on how i could keep it cool? Thanks.!

Did your amp have instructions for how to mount it? Is it possible you ended up blocking the cooling portions of the amp when you changed the location? I'm thinking you may have ended up not giving it enough clearance around the edges and it can't vent the heat properly.

jmakinen wrote:
I mounted mine between the two 6X9's on the roof of the trunk. Just a couple of holes to drill, and some short screws, and it's out of the way & easily accessible. It works well for me Smile

Is your amp designed to be mounted that way? If not, that's a good way to cook an amp in pretty short order.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

**** EDIT, I had an idea on the way home, I bought some stoppers (ends for chairs) I guess you could say, cut them down and placed each end under the screw holes and screwed it back down, there is a good 1/4+ gap all the way around the amp now, also I looked for vents and what not to see where the heat comes from, didn't find any :S that's probably bad lol. Guess will find out.. was too rainy to drag an extension cord out and sand and bolt a new ground.. hopefully this helps! Thanks! (GO PACERS) (LAKERS FAN Smile Miami Hater! )

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No idea but I more ten not have the seat down cos it sounds better and would be just the same as laying it on the floor since its faced the same way... I think it might be a ground or the corners are too tight.. I drove home with it at 1/4 volume didn't even get that warm..

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, the amp was bought for $40 a few years ago, and this is the second vehicle I've put it in. I'm not too worried about if it fries, really...

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jnibbs24 wrote:

No idea but I more ten not have the seat down cos it sounds better and would be just the same as laying it on the floor since its faced the same way... I think it might be a ground or the corners are too tight.. I drove home with it at 1/4 volume didn't even get that warm..

Any chance the gains are set wrong or the subs are wire incorrectly? The only time I ever had an amp get that hot, I had improperly set the gains and was overdriving the amp.

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I just took the trip to work and its still hott.. my amp is turned up like 1/2 way and like I said when it was sliding around in the trunk it wouldn't get that hot. The only thing I changed besides placement of the amp is the ground came loose so I re grounded it..

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jmakinen wrote:
Well, the amp was bought for $40 a few years ago, and this is the second vehicle I've put it in. I'm not too worried about if it fries, really...

His point was..if you don't care if you fry it since its cheap that's no big deal, but you shouldn't suggest the idea to other people who might not know its a bad idea so they fry their stuff.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never heard of not being able to mount an amp upside down, so did a little research and got this-

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/.....-down.html

Basically what it says is that most amps don't have a problem being mounted upside down, but check with the manufacturer first. The main problem with mounting upside down is overheating, which is a problem you already have. This can be combated by using spacers, as you did already. So if you're already having overheating problems mounting it where you did, then forget about mounting it upside down. But otherwise, as long as the manufacturer doesn't specifically say not to do it, and you do it properly, I'd think it isn't a bad idea. But in the end it all comes down to your personal preference.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the volume at 1/2 the whole way home today barely felt any heat. I'm. Assuming the sub is bridged wrong..

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jmakinen wrote:
Never heard of not being able to mount an amp upside down, so did a little research and got this-

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/.....-down.html

Basically what it says is that most amps don't have a problem being mounted upside down, but check with the manufacturer first. The main problem with mounting upside down is overheating, which is a problem you already have. This can be combated by using spacers, as you did already. So if you're already having overheating problems mounting it where you did, then forget about mounting it upside down. But otherwise, as long as the manufacturer doesn't specifically say not to do it, and you do it properly, I'd think it isn't a bad idea. But in the end it all comes down to your personal preference.

Yes, but only a small number of manufactures will suggest doing that. Because the position of the heat sink, fans, etc. effects where the heat is pushed out and away from the amp, and most amps aren't made in the fashion to be mounted upside down. Sure you could take a chance and probably be okay, but I'd rather not put extra stress on my amp and risk ruining it...esp people running amps that cost a lot of money.

Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is my sub wired correctly?
(P3D412) "P3"
500Watt RMS
1000Watt Peak
4 OHM

This is how it was hooked up below.
(I opened it up and am putting in new wire, inside sub was a joke
how they had it wired up.. looked correct inside but Elec tape everywhere, SMH)
**Also when I opened up the subwoofer there were 2 outputs 1 on each side for the sub, I've never really dealt with that before, it was hooked up on one side only
so that is how I left it. So I'm assuming the wiring is wrong then??**

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah. You wiring is a mess... if you have a DVC sub you should be running both coils. How was it wired before? I can try to help you out but I need to know what you are working with. What model is the amplifier? Who hooked it up initially?

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The amp is a 1/2 ch xm 2002 gtr Sony amp. 1200W Bought it like that hooked up n all. It is a dvc..

Last edited by Jnibbs24 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-G.....etails-tab

Looking at the amp specs and the sub details you need to run 2 sets of speaker wire to the sub. One channel to each pair of terminals on the subwoofer. After you have done that you need to set the gain correctly (I'd recommend using the digital multimeter method). If it still gets hot after that, something is wrong with the amp or sub.

Dan wrote:

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: