NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - help with changing spark plugs
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

help with changing spark plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjharris631
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject:  help with changing spark plugs Reply with quote

How to remove the boots on the plug? How to get to the back 3 plugs? Need help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Removing the boot retainers can be a massive pain in the ass. You need to grip them and try to leverage them off carefully. I needed to take a pair of channel locks to two of the boot retainers on the back of the engine when I did mine. Plan on destroying the wires and the boot retainers in the process. Have a new set of wires and a few extra boot retainers on hand if at all possible.

To get at the back three plugs, some people have luck by removing the STB and carefully working behind the engine. I use an engine tilter to pull the engine forward a few inches and gain a bunch of clearance on the back side of the engine. If you don't want to buy an engine tilter, some people have had luck using a ratchet strap (but I wouldn't recommend it).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
tjharris631
Cadet
Cadet

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah my wires didn't waste anytime breaking apart. is the engine tilter the only way to get to the back ones? ratchet strap?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can do the back ones with the engine in place, it's just a tight squeeze. I've never used the ratchet strap method, but it is described here if you want to give it a try. http://www.grandprixforums.net.....-4905.html

Dan wrote:

d
tjharris631
Cadet
Cadet

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've used racheting straps before. Works good

I usually just undo/remove the drivers side torque strut, replace stud/nut on engine bracket, undo passenger side torque strut by the coil packs, i use a long pry bar and insert it on the drivers side engine mount between the mount and stud, pull it towards me, and use the single top stud hole by the coil packs and insert the stud through the bracket and torque strut. Works great for me too. I've done this many times too.

Is that one a good idea? How well does removing the dog bones and rocking the car back and forth until it tilts work?
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This job sucks firstly.

Here's what I did, took me about 4 different "spark plug" sessions.

As far as the fronts you can take off one of the brackets (I don't remember the name of it) if you are having problems getting access. For the metal "retainers", I used a flat head screwdriver; use one hand on the metal jacket then fit the screwdriver between the head and the jacket. Pull up on the jacket while fiddling with the flathead and it should pop off. As mentioned before if the metal boots simply won't come undone a vice grip is going to be helpful. The front are not necessarily simple if the jackets are seized on.

Back:

Here is a helpful tutorial video from a grand prix. (engine is the same)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUE8yam_EU

I tried getting the metal jackets off without rocking the engine forward but they were so seized that I had to move the motor. I undid the front 2 "dog bones" with 2 5/8th ratchets. Once these are off the motor will rock back and forth. Then on the passanger side the mount where the dog bone bolts up to has an extra hole, simply rock the engine forward then put the dog bone bolt through that second hole. Now the engine is about 5-6 inches more away from the firewall.

One the engine is forward I took off the strut bar (black bar running from shock towers) and If I recall correctly I undid both the heater hoses just to get more room (most people seem to not have to). The 3 back metal jackets are a PITA without a doubt. The metal jacket all the way on the passenger side I believe I got off using a flathead. The one in the middle I think I got on top of the engine (sitting on it) and used the same screwdriver technique. These two were hard because the metal jackets were seized but with a lot of cusing and bleeding they popped off. Now the one on the drivers side; this one is directly in front of the upstream O2 sensor. You should use some extensions and a 02 sensor socket and remove the 02 sensor. Once that is out, you have to wrestle with the final metal jacket. This one I had to resort to vice grips because I couldn't get a screwdriver near the metal boot where it meets the head. Good luck, I am with you in spirit. Don't forget to gap your plugs to .60 and add a bit of antisieze to the plugs on the way in. You can do it!

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Gems
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.21

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Plan on destroying the old plug wires, plug boots and heat shields... Then just use brute force with a pair of channel locks or similar... Have a new set of wires and heat shields and some dielectric grease at the ready... Getting to the rear plugs requires the use of someone under 30 years old and flexible!!... My 30 year old stepson did this for me...

EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.62

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the plugs on my hemi r simple, the plugs on my old impala sucked balls, i would never do it again if i had too lmao good luck!

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Come on guys, you are making it sound like this isn't a DIY job. Sure the back bank of plugs can be a royal pain in the ass, but I'd rate the difficulty of a plug change on these cars to be slightly higher than an oil change.

Dan wrote:

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What Iffy said..

It's just an inconvenient job, but not difficult. My advice is to just commit to doing it and get it done, you'll figure it out. And like everyone said, unbolt the dog bones and rock the engine forward.

Use dialectric grease on the plug connections, you'll thank yourself when they pop right off next time you replace them.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

is not too hard espsecially if you have montana dogbones. Cool

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: