NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Replacement for replacement headlight still filling with h2o
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Replacement for replacement headlight still filling with h2o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordJezo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject:  Replacement for replacement headlight still filling with h2o Reply with quote

Should I return it yet again and go to a junkyard?

So I replaced my worn out headlight assemblies with TYCs off of Amazon. Fit great and looked good. Problem is when a big storm came through the passenger side filled with water.

I got Amazon to replace it (after a bit of convincing), put the new passenger side on again, and now after a storm we just had it is filling up with water again.

Is there some kind of user error going on here? It's not like it's a complicated switch. The driver's side replacement is holding strong against any storm and not leaking. Passenger side is not, twice in a row now.

I might be able to get Amazon to replace it yet again but then what? Go with a TYC again and hope it doesn't leak the third time or should I head to a junkyard and try to pick up something else? Or maybe ebay? I can't explain what's going on here.. I wouldn't think they would leak like this.
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i think alot of people have problems with them (aftermarket oe replacements) just reseal them with a silicone

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
RebelSS

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is it actually filling up with water? Or just fogging up?

I just bought some brand new replacement headlights, and they had moisture in them the first time I drove it, and it wasn't even raining.

I pulled the rubber cap off of the high beams(since thats where the moisture was) and just drive around without them. Now there's no more moisture.

myspace.com/rebelmc
last.fm/user/RebelMC/
facebook.com/#!/cpaluch1
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn man, wth?! Being that it happened to the same side, both times, I'd be inclined to think there's a manufacturing issue with that side and you're getting the same thing from the same batch. Bummer! I guess if you can see where it's leaking in, reseal like suggested? OR, mail back to TYC and tell 'em to keep their crap and you'll never buy a TYC again? That's a drag though.

habermehl wrote:
i think alot of people have problems with them (aftermarket oe replacements) just reseal them with a silicone

I personally haven't heard of THIS much of a problem with TYC's though. Maybe moisture buildup, to which people alleviate with extra or enlarged vent holes, but full on leaking like that, unacceptable. Confused

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was just unlucky.

Yes, it was filling up with water, I would watch the water level rise each time a storm went by. When I took it out and replaced it with the third one the amount that drained was quite astounding.

It was getting in around the power plug. Now I don't know if it was the light or the plug but I sent it back to Amazon. The third one I put in, something I got off ebay, I wrapped everything up in electrical tape before locking it in place.

It has been almost a week now and with constant rain it's not getting wet at all inside. Maybe wrapping up the new one helped, maybe it being a different brand helped, but either way I finally have my lights in working order and I can see at night again.

The driver's side is still fine.

Just remember that if you are getting new lights adjust them! My original TYCs were pointed way too low and the new ebay one was up in the air.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I still have to play around with adjusting mine up a little bit, they appear low to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: