NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2004 Impala with FRUSTRATING vibration or Missing issue
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2004 Impala with FRUSTRATING vibration or Missing issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcalRPM

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject:  2004 Impala with FRUSTRATING vibration or Missing issue Reply with quote

OK, where do I begin... First I'd like to express how glad I am that I finally found a worthwhile new Impala community. I have been looking for a forum like your for some time now. So let me start with a thanks....

Now my problem....
I drive a 2004 Impala LS with 150,000 miles. I maintain the car regularly and am an above average hands on kinda guy.

The issue is a felt as an intermittent vibration in the the lowest parts of the car, the floor, seat bottoms and a small amount in the steering wheel. Seems to be wheel speed and engine load related.

It started about 60,000 to 70,000 miles ago and has gotten worse

At first I could only feel it when the car was cruising and I would see a small increase in engine load. A slight press on the gas pedal to pass a slower car or to maintain speed on a small hill.

Now it has progressed to a sometimes angry vibration that still shows itself under load but now appears as I leave stop signs.

The vibration can almost feel like something is massively out of round up front
to the point that it almost feels like the car is fighting what ever is causing the vibration.

It seems like it can be worse when leaving a stop light and turning at the same time.

The car makes GREAT power and otherwise drives fine........... No CEL's

Now for what I have already done to try and fix the problem

* New plugs approx 15,000 miles ago and checked them during the intake gasket replacement a few days ago and they looked very good. No visible signs of need to replace.

* New motor and tranny mounts approx 2500.00 miles ago

* New wheel bearing/hub assemblies and new brake rotors

* New axles less then 500 miles ago with no effect

* Replaced rubber exhaust hangers with new and inspected cat

* New lower control arms less then 400 miles ago

* Complete tranny service and replacement of the PCS by a GM tech who says it looks like new inside with no sediment in the filter. 2000 miles ago (The tech did not think it was tranny related but it didn't act up really bad for his drive.

New intake gaskets less then 200 miles ago due to leaking oil and coolant

NON of this work has changed the way the vibration feels or slowed it progression.

I am at the end of the rope here. I would sell the car except the vibration is too bad to demo it and i have dumped a ton of money into a car not worth $3K to sell.

ANY and all help is appreciated

Thanks
Scott

[/b][/u]

Last edited by norcalRPM on Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you taken a look at your wheel hubs for play? I would guess that one of them (likely a front one) may be on it's way out

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
norcalRPM

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oh, Snaps... I completely forgot to mention the replaced hubs and rotors on both sides.

Thanks for mentioning that...
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you had the tires balanced and checked for any issues and an alignment done?

norcalRPM

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

New tires and multiple balancing (I have a good friend that runs an Americas Tire)

and alignment was done many miles ago when I replaced the Rack. The car drives straight and tire wear seems to be smooth and normal.

Thanks
norcalRPM

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

After doing much searching and reading I am wondering if my stock suspension has failed to the point that I am getting the "Lowered" car vibration?

Can anyone here explain what that feels like?
norcalRPM

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject:  I fixed it..... Reply with quote

OK, I thought I would post this to let everyone know what I found as I suspect that there are other high mileage cars with similar issues....

The problem ended up being two related issues.

One- The replacement mounts that I purchased from Anchor both failed almost immediately which is why I didn't notice any change when I installed them.

Two- The stock suspension has sagged to the point that it has caused the dreaded lower spring vibration.

I ended up replacing both mounts with solid rubber units and adding some custom spacers to raise the motor and tranny 1/2 an inch.

It now drives like a much newer car. I will eventually swap out the struts and top hats and she should be good for another 150000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: