NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Go figure... Security light. how to fix?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Go figure... Security light. how to fix?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.55

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject:  Go figure... Security light. how to fix? Reply with quote

Well all of a sudden in the last week I've got the infamous flashing security light problem. I just missed by Math final so I'VE HAD ENOUGH! This is so fricken ridiculous that I've gone this many years and all of a sudden it does it at least once a day. What the heck is the solution to this? I've been reading up about it. Seems like most go thru the routine of ignition, passlock sensor, BCM, then some aren't even fixed by that. I'm sick and tired of this, and the fact that my $800 GP is more reliable than this is ridiculous.
I need to know how to fix this with as little invested as possible. Other things are going wrong with it that I need to fix so I cannot afford thousands of dollars to do this.
I'm on my last straw with this security crap and I kinda needed to vent it. But any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

tune from overkill, specify you also want the sercurity light disabled. then you got best of both worlds

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine never got to the point that the car wouldn't start, but the light would be on a few weeks out of every month before I replaced the ignition cylinder with a new one (and therefore a new pass lock sensor) and the problem went way. I'd start there since it's a cheap and easy item to fix.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How much was that? Can you get a part number?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I ordered mine from this guy on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2.....2c466ee0f7

The only downside to buying a pre-keyed ignition was now I have two keys on my key ring. For me it's not an issue, but my mother was perplexed when she tried to move my car while I was visiting last month. Laughing

Dan wrote:

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd really hate to have two keys, especially since I gotta unlock the door manually because the power locks don't work. How would I get it done to the same key?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You would need to buy a new cylinder and have a locksmith key it. For me, that would have almost doubled the price and I really don't mind having two keys.

Dan wrote:

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So that has the passlock sensor on it? And I'm assuming monte and impala are identical. What was your car doing exactly? Because mine will look normal, no flashing security light, then sometimes it won't even try to start, then when I try again I get the flashing security light
*edit: I've been reading up some on this. Looks like there's a couple other options I have to actually bypass it. One is just putting a resistor, basically in place of the passlock sensor. The other is to buy a module and get a remote start which would also bypass the passlock. Do these sound like good options? I mean, for the same price I'd rather get a remote start system than a new ignition cylinder and different keys

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can install a resistor to bypass the passlock, then you won't need the module, just the remote start.
Theres a write up somewhere on here showing how to do it.

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

or get a tune for $150, get that tuned out, then ya got problem solved + all the other goodies for a tune.after reviewing all my optiions, like having 2 keys or having to take the dash apart....too only to find out I could/will have the issue again down the road. I thought tune as far the best option.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.51

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Whenever it happens just pull the BCM fuse in the driver side dash and put it back in after a few seconds. Cranks right up Smile

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tried pulling the bcm fuse, did not work. After that I pulled every fuse that had any bcm label individually and none of them helped. Because my power locks won't lock and I don't have a working keyless remote, I have to use the key to get into the car so getting a new ignition cylinder with another key is not an option. I'm not gonna have to use two keys all the time.
So, What are my options? I've read that the pcm thing doesn't work most of the time. I wouldn't mind getting a remote start at all, however local shops want to charge me $600 for one Shocked Shocked Shocked Yeah right.
Basically I believe my options are to buy a remote start with the module and install myself, Wire in a resistor, or buy a module that disables it. I'd prefer the remote start if anybody has any input on how hard it is to install and about how much I can get one for. If that price is not feaseable, I'd prefer to get the module that completely bypasses the system. However, I cannot find one that I think looks reputeable. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If having two keys isn't an option for you, why not get an unkeyed cylinder from ZSPOT and have a locksmith do his/her thing and make it work with your current key? It'll likely double the cost of the cylinder, but if having a single key is a must for you it's pretty much your only option.

IMO adding other components to a system that is obviously having problems will do nothing but cause you more headaches down the road. Do it once, do it right.

Dan wrote:

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Honestly, the system is obviously a piece of crap, and replacing the cylinder is just gonna put me in the same situation when it fails again. I'd much rather just bypass the system or get a module to temporarily bypass it with remote start. But I don't know anything about the modules, where to get them, or what company to trust.

norcal_impala

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

did you ever get that problem fixed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: