NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Key tumbler replacement anyone done it? also console shifter
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Key tumbler replacement anyone done it? also console shifter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverheadracer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.12

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject:  Key tumbler replacement anyone done it? also console shifter Reply with quote

My key tumbler in the dash is acting up and when the key is in off position it still sits kind of slanted and when i take the key out the radio and the gear select indcator lights still stay on and kill my battery so my question is how hard is it to swap out the tumbler or should i take it to the shop? Also the buttonon my console shifter (LS) doesnt work any longer and i can shift the car from rolling in driver or neutral without pushing the button or hitting the break so wtf is that about?

stock 01 LS
R1 drilled slotted Rotors, ECB redstuff pads Painted calipers GHETTOFAB CAI lol and soon to be Ubend/resonator delete
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think you can push the shifter from drive to neutral and from neutral to drive without pushing the button. You shouldn't be able to push the shifter from neutral to reverse or from drive into 3-2-1 without using the button.

But I'm not positive... it's not the sort of thing I do every day.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Every console shift I've driven - even my old 85 MC - could shift into neutral without pushing the button. It's normal. Maybe failsafe of sorts.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
riverheadracer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.12

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

no it goes from neutral to reverse without hitting it lol theres supposed to be a lock there also a lock from park to reverse... no longer locks and the key tumbler is screwed and now my radio is constnatly on as well as my gear indicator light on the cluster... ( rest of cluster dosent work due to BCM)

stock 01 LS
R1 drilled slotted Rotors, ECB redstuff pads Painted calipers GHETTOFAB CAI lol and soon to be Ubend/resonator delete
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.67

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would start with the tumbler. I'm not sure but it could manifest all those issues. I know that when I had to replace the ignition switch in mine you had to put it in neutral and put the key in ACC or ON (can't remember) and then disconnect the cable. That could be it.

I would replace the tumbler first and see if that fixes it.

Gems
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.22

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm also going to replace the key cylinder in my 2001 LS... I got some info from my ALLDATA account on doing this but can someone tell me what this graphic from ALLDATA is trying to show?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: