NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - How Critical is LIM Gasket Replacement? Est. shop time?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How Critical is LIM Gasket Replacement? Est. shop time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee49

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Question How Critical is LIM Gasket Replacement? Est. shop time? Reply with quote

I searched through all the threads I could find on the Lower Intake Manifold failure phenomenon. I have a 2001 9C1 with 111,000 miles. Runs like a champ and the tranny thus far has been fine, but I see evidence of oil in the coolant reservoir. No codes being thrown, no leaks, runs cool.

Is this a must do right away priority or can I wait for a while? Is there anything else that should be done while the LIM gasket is being replaced?

What is the average shop time for the repair? Out here labor costs run about $100.00 plus / hour at the shops. Or, if there is anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who can do the job for a decent price I'd be interested.

This is my daughter's first car, so I need for it to be reliable. Thank you for any help.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd personally get it done as soon as possible.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
PBnj
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.13

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Question Re: How Critical is LIM Gasket Replacement? Est. shop time? Reply with quote

[quote="eltee49"]I searched through all the threads I could find on the Lower Intake Manifold failure phenomenon. I have a 2001 9C1 with 111,000 miles. Runs like a champ and the tranny thus far has been fine, but I see evidence of oil in the coolant reservoir. No codes being thrown, no leaks, runs cool.

Is this a must do right away priority or can I wait for a while? Is there anything else that should be done while the LIM gasket is being replaced?

What is the average shop time for the repair? Out here labor costs run about $100.00 plus / hour at the shops. Or, if there is anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who can do the job for a decent price I'd be interested.

This is my daughter's first car, so I need for it to be reliable. Thank you for any help.[/quote]

I would park it until it's fixed, otherwise you can seize up your pistons... I would change the headgaskets while you're under there, an assuming you have a 3.8, change the coolant elbows..It's fairly simple to do with the right tools (mainly wrenches, sockets, deep sockets, extensions and torque wrenches) an should take a beginner 12 hours or so to do... Most shops I found estimated 8-10 hours for the labor.. if you DIY, search for some write ups cause there are plenty and study, research and take your time
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are see oil in the coolant reservoir. It is time to repair before Coolant gets in to the Oil. 110,000 miles is about the right interval for failure. ( see note at the bottom).

I do see in your garage if it is a 3400 or 3.8 ( 3800) engine.
The 3400 requires pretty much just a set of Really good replacement gaskets.

The 3.8 you will need new coolant elbows ( they break when the manifold is taken off. Also check the Plastic upper manifold. They crack and let coolant leak into the intake manifold around the EGR outlet.

If you have a working knowledge of DIY repairs and a Haynes Service manual In pound torque wrench and standard set of tools .. you can do this yourself and save some bucks. Time needed is 1 to 2 days average in most cases, depending how much you DIY on cars.

Not sure how long you have owned the 9c1 the Police agency may have already changed out the gaskets and did not clean out the reservoir. If you know where it came from they would have a maintenance record..
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Honestly, with not a lot of mechanical background, you can complete the job on a saturday or sunday by yourself with the walkthrough on here, and for about 200 bucks.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Shop time is about 5-6 hours. Parts cost is about 200 dollars.

This is an ASAP kind of fix.

Additional parts you should change are the Upper intake manifold gasket, along with the coolant elbows (if you have a 3800 motor).

It is suggested that the injector o-rings should be changed out as well, but I did not change mine... breaking the wafer at the head of the injector while trying to replace the o-rings will result in you buying a new fuel injector... not really that cheap.

This is easy enough to do on your own with a little bit of care and a basic set of tools.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also, if you decide to tackle it give the UIM a thorough inspection. Nothing is worse than getting through the job only to find that you need to replace the UIM (been there, done that).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
eltee49

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

The shop where I normally get my cars serviced pulled up the TSB and gave an estimate of $900.00 parts & labor inc. both LIM and UIM gaskets.

The car came from a different agency than where I'm from (we never had the little Impala pursuit cars) but I have a contact at that agency's shop whom I will call. The primary driver of the car was a female detective and she told me it was not abused and that she never pursued anyone in it while it was assigned to her, and she was the last person in the department to drive it. We got it because it was a deal and was burgundy, a color my daughter likes (she's a new driver).

Thanks again for the info. This place is great.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

900 is VERY high...even the dealerships are usually a little bit cheaper than that.

its about a 4 hour job for the average joe...i've done them in 3-3.5 not going too crazy.

so figure 4 hours...even at $100 an hour. theres $400. plus another 200 for parts..if they charge more, even way over estimating it..say 300

Thats 700. There's no reason it should be any more than that. Way back in the day I was quoted at $500 or $550..which seems to be about average

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't know about very high... I was charged 800 bucks for the LIM gasket repair by the dealer. I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have any alternatives at the time.

Dan wrote:

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I don't know about very high... I was charged 800 bucks for the LIM gasket repair by the dealer. I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have any alternatives at the time.

Yeah, at the dealer. Isn't he talking about an independent shop? I've never had a quote from my parents shop on anything in the past that was higher than dealer quote.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i would have been happy with 900. i believed i got charged between $1,100 -$1,300 for my repair (damn dealership) about 2 years ago. (Cant remember exactly i know i have a thread in here with the actual price quoted.)
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IMO that's ridiculous..that's like head gasket prices.

A few people have paid me to do them before and I haven't charged more than 250 plus supplies

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It all depends on what the labor rates are where you live. I know the dealer rates are almost 50 an hour higher in the Chicago area compared to Nashville. That being said, after tackling this job on my own I'd say anyone with a mechanically inclined brain and a decent set of tools should be able to do this on their own following the instruction found in this link.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;pid=16

Dan wrote:

d
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey eltee49.
It does not matter how the car was driven or cared for, the upper intake manifold itself has a factory defect.
Does that $900 include a new upper manifold, not just the gasket? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: