NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - A/C Blower
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

A/C Blower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxsappixx

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject:  A/C Blower Reply with quote

Hey guys! I have been lurking around here for … I'm embarrassed to say it…years..lol Anyways lately my A/C has been doing something that drives me nuts. When I drive for say more than 15-20 minutes the blower motor starts to make kind of a funny noise. I feel cold air trying to come out of the vents but I feel no actual airflow. If I crank up the dial to 2-3-4 I feel a bit more air but its not right. I took out the blower motor and gave it a good cleaning but its still doing it. Now no air comes out on the 5 setting. Is it safe to say I have a jacked up blower motor and not resistor? Anything else that could go bad? The ignition switch got replaced and the actual A/C controls not too long ago.

Sorry for the long winded post..

XXsappiXX
daedricprince
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

had a similar problem and it was the resistor - my '3rd' setting did not work, and the other settings were fairly dim. got it fixed for under 100 and it works great now

Billoftt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject:  Re: A/C Blower Reply with quote

xxsappixx wrote:
Hey guys! I have been lurking around here for … I'm embarrassed to say it…years..lol Anyways lately my A/C has been doing something that drives me nuts. When I drive for say more than 15-20 minutes the blower motor starts to make kind of a funny noise. I feel cold air trying to come out of the vents but I feel no actual airflow. If I crank up the dial to 2-3-4 I feel a bit more air but its not right. I took out the blower motor and gave it a good cleaning but its still doing it. Now no air comes out on the 5 setting. Is it safe to say I have a jacked up blower motor and not resistor? Anything else that could go bad? The ignition switch got replaced and the actual A/C controls not too long ago.

Sorry for the long winded post..

XXsappiXX

A similar thing happend to my 2005 last August. In the end, it was teh blower motor which is easy to replace and to check. If you have a voltmeter or electrical muti-tester, pull teh poer plug from the fan and test its voltage. It should read around 12 volts on the highest setting with the key on and the engine off, with incrementally smaller reading coorelationg to the fan switch setting. If your voltage reads okay, then replace the fan. If not, I have no experience on replacing the resistor or the switch, but testing the voltage would be the first stage of troubleshooting.

If you do not have a multi-meter, go to Harbor Freight with a coupon and you can get one for about 3 bucks.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You did not say what year you have. They changed from a resistor to a module in late 04-05. If the fan is running and your not getting any air flow, check the mode actuator.Also try removing the HVAC fuse for a couple of minutes to see if it resets.

xxsappixx

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey guys its 2001. I decided yesterday to do some probing with my multimeter and sure enough I got increasing voltages up to 5. Making me believe it was the fan. Picked one up from the auto part store and my car is now a freezer (very important living in Miami). The next big thing I got going on is I think I may need new catalytics (I notice some power loss, especially heading up hills on the turnpike). Fuel filter and pump are new. Gotta call GM and see if my car still fits into that extended warranty they offered for the cats. Unfortunately I think I know the answer for that.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

xxsappixx wrote:
Hey guys its 2001. I decided yesterday to do some probing with my multimeter and sure enough I got increasing voltages up to 5. Making me believe it was the fan. Picked one up from the auto part store and my car is now a freezer (very important living in Miami). The next big thing I got going on is I think I may need new catalytics (I notice some power loss, especially heading up hills on the turnpike). Fuel filter and pump are new. Gotta call GM and see if my car still fits into that extended warranty they offered for the cats. Unfortunately I think I know the answer for that.

Be sure too rule out other possibilities such as ignition (coil packs, plugs and wires, spark plugs) and MAF and MAP sensor issues etc. Catalytic converters are very expensive.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.57

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

xxsappixx wrote:

you only have 1 cat, if you replace it with an aftermarket unit, be prepared for the P0420 code to pop up. Some trigger it right away, some never do, some take some time. Only way to get rid of it is a tuned PCM with the code deleted, have someone with a tuner delete the code from your PCM, O2 simulator (if you can find one) or the anti-fouler mod.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: