NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Intermittent no start
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Intermittent no start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubTee1480

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject:  Intermittent no start Reply with quote

I've never had this issue until last night. Came out of a restaurant, car is still warm and I get in to start it. No start. The radio, HVAC, headlights etc "pause" as if the car is going to start, but not a peep from the starter. Almost like the solenoid was completely shot. I can't see the starter to bump it or jump the terminals, so I go about switching relays with the same part number from non-essential systems, inspecting fuses, unhook and reconnect the battery while my wife periodically tries it. Nothing. I call my father, no new advice. So in a bid to see if I can get a view of the starter, I decide to turn the wheel and approach the engine from the wheel well (my father laughs, knowing how hard it's going to be to turn these massive SS wheels w/o power assist). Turn the wheel right and for some reason I reach down and try to start it... and it starts. WTF? Right now I'm driving my Sonoma and the car is sitting until I can start looking at it, does anyone have any suggestions. Oh and another thing: The security light comes on intermittently but it doesn't when I use a newer cut key, so while that seems to suggest BCM it looks like it's just worn contacts - still merits disclosure for troubleshooting purposes.

james04Ls

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

does the car have any other intermittent problems?? A easy check could be you battery terminals and grounds. If there is some corrosion it can cause alot of unny things to happen. My car had a corroded battery groung and th guages would go funny all the time, and the acessories sometimes wouldn't work.
It might not be the issue but a good place to start and, easy to check
DubTee1480

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nothing intermittent, only other issue is the traction control/ABS light due to faulty hub or connection in the wiring. I'm probably going to check the wiring and terminals around the starter this weekend, if everything looks ok and the starter isn't where I can manually jump it I may borrow a used industrial push button from work and run temporary leads to remote jump it in case it does it again - just in case the solenoid's on it's way out. In particular I want to look at any wires close to the rack and pinion that might have gotten moved when I was turning the wheel, maybe a boot brushed a wiring harness and "jiggled it"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: