NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - "whistle" like noise when turning
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

"whistle" like noise when turning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raul

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:  "whistle" like noise when turning Reply with quote

I hear a whistle like sound (like something rubbing) when i am turning on my 04 Impala. Is really annoying and it seems like is coming from where the steering wheel is connected. It usually happens when i am traveling slow (like in a parking lot) and it happens when the car warms up. If anybody knows what causes this noise, please let me know. Thank you.
thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject:  Rough Guesses Reply with quote

Rough, uneducated guesses...

I know the intermediate steering shaft likes to make a popping noise if it hasn't been greased.

If it is a slight grinding noise while simply driving. Small, faint, but still noticable, you probably have hub damage (normally from taking a hard turn and deciding to run the tire into a curve. Ahh ashford-dunwoody, the memories.

Other than that, maybe it is just time for your ball joint, or you are simply turing to hard and rubbing against something when you turn.

have you checked your power steering fluid? you might have a leak in the resivor and it makes a slight whirring noise when you turn the car.

anusayr

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:  Air trapped Reply with quote

I had the same sound. It turned out that it is trapped air in the power steering wheel oil. In my case I fixed it before it did damage to my car. Locate the reservoir for the power steering oil (in the 3.8 it is way in the back). Open the cover. for the reservoir. If there is air trapped, you should hear a sound like you are opening a can of SODA. close the LED and that is it.

I hope it works out for you.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject:  Re: Air trapped Reply with quote

anusayr wrote:
I had the same sound. It turned out that it is trapped air in the power steering wheel oil. In my case I fixed it before it did damage to my car. Locate the reservoir for the power steering oil (in the 3.8 it is way in the back). Open the cover. for the reservoir. If there is air trapped, you should hear a sound like you are opening a can of SODA. close the LED and that is it.

I hope it works out for you.

Interesting. I always thought it was just the base of the steering wheel rubbing against the column. I have too try this though. Did you notice any difference in the steering?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: