NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - paddle shifter vs stick shift gear box
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

paddle shifter vs stick shift gear box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you choose paddle shifter or stick shift
paddle shifter
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
stick shift
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

americanmade92
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject:  paddle shifter vs stick shift gear box Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently bought a new challenger sxt. It's nice really nice anyway he was hesitant to tell me that it was an automatic v6 because he thought I'd laugh at him (which I did) because when he's in my car he always screaming "power" like Jeremy Clarkson. Then he proceeded to brag about his paddle shifters and "sport mode" button. We got into an argument because even though it is a nice feature to go from automatic to semi automatic at will but I feel as though you won't get the same "experience" with paddle shifters that you would with a stick shift and he thinks it's the same and I think It's only similar and paddles are easier on the hand, leg and safer in my opinion. It took me two months to learn to shift a stick with the stalling, missing a gear, etc and it literally took him about 10 minutes to get the hang of the paddle shifters. Yes I know I have an automatic and I know most exotic cars have had paddles for years ? and it seems like paddle shifters are going to be the future of manual shifting. So if you had to choose between the two which would it be ?

gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i chose stick, only because i have never used a paddle shifter. Something about using my leg and hand, moving the stick into gear, seems more fun than paddle shifters.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you're not pushing a clutch, you're driving an automatic. Paddleshifters are just a semiautomatic transmission.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.58

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Stick shift all day. Never look back.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

because of where I live, stick shift is out of the question.

as for the paddle shifters, same thing as the auto-stick feature on my 300, dont think I used it more than a handful of times since I owned the car.

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Id prefer the semi-auto over a fully auto, but the whole fun of driving a manual is cluth and knob lol

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The real purpse of a paddle shifter is to accelerate faster. That is if it's a racecar. A true one is a manual transmission, with a clutch, and you just press the button, or paddle which is just a button anyway, and electric systems declutch, shift, and release the clutch, much much faster than a person can do it using a manually operated foot pedal and shifting stick. So if you are racing, your main goal is to get around the circuit faster than anyone else, not preserving some romantic notion of how a car should be shifted.

On many less sport pedigreed road cars, the transmission is a slushbox, and the paddles are added just for fun, so you can act like a raceing driver. The Challenger? I don't know which it is.

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Shift buttons, paddles, side sticks and other doo-dads on automatic transmissions are pretty much useless. I sometimes use them on hill descent to kick down if the shifter doesn't have a traditional L position.

On automated manual or DSG vs MT, DSGs are annoying in parking lots and in town. If you saw the Top Gear USA ep. where the boys pick supercars for Donald Trump, the way the Lamborghini makes Rutledge look like an idiot... that's how DSGs make everyone look. They grab clutch over and over at low speeds, at least every one I've seen or driven. Aside from that, they're neat. I'd take a stick in most cases, though. Call me old fashioned.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

madbrad wrote:
The real purpse of a paddle shifter is to accelerate faster. That is if it's a racecar. A true one is a manual transmission, with a clutch, and you just press the button, or paddle which is just a button anyway, and electric systems declutch, shift, and release the clutch, much much faster than a person can do it using a manually operated foot pedal and shifting stick. So if you are racing, your main goal is to get around the circuit faster than anyone else, not preserving some romantic notion of how a car should be shifted.

On many less sport pedigreed road cars, the transmission is a slushbox, and the paddles are added just for fun, so you can act like a raceing driver. The Challenger? I don't know which it is.

Like it or not, you're probably still accepting a weight penalty by choosing a semiauto over a true manual. Weight is the only aspect of a car that affects all other aspects of the car (all bad, in racing) And, there's no skill in squeezing a paddle.

It might be a 'romantic notion', but you haven't got a hope in he11 of ever doing mantenance on a racing double-clutch system unless you're educated to do so.

These ridiculous setups are just further disconnecting drivers from the tons upon tons of steel they're aiming down the road.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
because of where I live, stick shift is out of the question.

as for the paddle shifters, same thing as the auto-stick feature on my 300, dont think I used it more than a handful of times since I owned the car.

I find this interesting, as I use my auto-stick feature every chance I get when I drive my Charger, not because I'm acting like its a manual, though engine braking does become useful, I just prefer feeling like I have that bit of control over the car, though its more or less a mild illusion of control.

I suppose I also figure, since I have it there in the car already, I will use it.

Manual transmissions definitely give far more character to any car they are inside. I wish it was still optional for any car.

As for the super-cars, I am almost glad most are paddle-shifts, the bulk of people who seem to buy them, don't have a clue how to handle the car as it stands. Though it would be hilarious to see someone powershifting through the gears in something like a Veyron. Laughing

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
americanmade92
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Shift buttons, paddles, side sticks and other doo-dads on automatic transmissions are pretty much useless. I sometimes use them on hill descent to kick down if the shifter doesn't have a traditional L position.

On automated manual or DSG vs MT, DSGs are annoying in parking lots and in town. If you saw the Top Gear USA ep. where the boys pick supercars for Donald Trump, the way the Lamborghini makes Rutledge look like an idiot... that's how DSGs make everyone look. They grab clutch over and over at low speeds, at least every one I've seen or driven. Aside from that, they're neat. I'd take a stick in most cases, though. Call me old fashioned.

Do supercars even offer the option of a fully manual gearboxe anymore ? I heard somewhere Audi and Porsche will be ditching them soon too

20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.6

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Regular manual. Although i dont have a problem with an actual dual clutch setup like in the GTR. Dont care about the "autostick" features they throw in as an afterthought though just to make it seem sporty.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Regular stick and clutch pedal please.

There are times that I love to hop in my Monte and let the automatic do its thing, and there are times that I prefer to be in the Camaro doing my own shifting.

I wouldn't want anything inbetween. The computer is just going to take over anyway in a semi-auto, and with paddles how can you skip-shift?

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
madbrad wrote:

Like it or not, you're probably still accepting a weight penalty by choosing a semiauto over a true manual. Weight is the only aspect of a car that affects all other aspects of the car (all bad, in racing) And, there's no skill in squeezing a paddle.

It might be a 'romantic notion', but you haven't got a hope in he11 of ever doing mantenance on a racing double-clutch system unless you're educated to do so.

These ridiculous setups are just further disconnecting drivers from the tons upon tons of steel they're aiming down the road.

Hey I didn't say it was practical for commuting to work. Buyers like to see what got raced on Sunday put into the street version on monday. Whether those buyers knkow what they're talking about is another matter, but they have money they want to give to the manufacturer.

helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.52

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Paddle shifters don't mean jack if the transmission they're hooked up to is a POS or the ECM doesn't work well to control it.

Taking a standard automatic and putting crappy little paddles around the wheel doesn't improve upon the standard automatic. That's no different than the little +/- buttons GM had on the side of the gear shift lever. You still have slow shifts, hesitant responses and if the car won't let you bounce off the rev limiter all day, or down-shift rev match, its a joke.

A true automated manual, like a dual clutch manual aka SMG or DSG are only even worth considering when a) the car is so balls out that it'd be difficult to drive with a standard stick and b) its a truly faster variant. Then you're talking about something you take to the track and can consistently cut lap times with it and it has lightning fast shifts, downshit rev matches, etc...

Otherwise get a car with a manual transmission and learn how to really drive. I would not buy a car with an automatic or any kind unless there was no other option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: