NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Does Stock DP have Flex Joint?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Does Stock DP have Flex Joint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie2003LS

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:  Does Stock DP have Flex Joint? Reply with quote

We took the car in to be diagnosed for a bad cat and and an exhaust leak. The shop came back and said that the cat was bad and that the exhaust leak (loud ticking) was just back pressure escaping at the manifold/dp flange and that it would fix itself since since the flange is on spring-loaded bolts and would seal up to the gasket(I know this isnít true).

We had him weld in a new cat, but when we picked it up he told us that the car was running great, but turns out that thereís a leak (he says there was no way to know before they installed the cat Confused ) in the manifold or EGR tube (he guesses) and that would be another $650.

My question is if the stock DP has a flex joint hidden under that cover that flares out over the manifold side flange (right at the end). If so is it possible this has a leak in it? Iíve seen other 3800 photos and it shows an accordion like metal section maybe 1.5Ē long. Does the flare-out cover this and Iím just not seeing it. Iím really not wanting it to be a cracked rear manifold, though I have those parts in the mail. He better not have installed a good cat on a cracked DP after I paid him to diagnose the leak first...

Thanks for your help on the previous catalytic converter questions. I was all set to install a new cat and downpipe myself, but figured it was worth a few extra bucks to save the weekend from being under a car.... that worked out well. Rolling Eyes
Danny_9C1
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Most likely your flex pipe is cracked,this was the same problem i had on my '04 Impala.

When i took it to a shop to have it checked out i was told it was the manifold.I then went and got a second opinion from a good friend of mine and he found it was the flex pipe and NOT the manifold.....

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
Ollie2003LS

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply... Where is the flex section on the stock downpipe? I don't see a braided metal area on it. Is it hidden under the flare-out and the end?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: