NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - GM MDI Programmer
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GM MDI Programmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinkmike

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Question GM MDI Programmer Reply with quote

Like most of you, I have wanted a Tech 2 since I had my first check engine light come on. Choppy feeling since I stalled out in a florida flash flood back in 2003. I finally managed to get a check engine light to come on months later to reveal the dreaded clogged Catalytic converter.

I have been researching the GM MDI (OTC-3846) From what I can gather if you have the SPS subscription you can emulate the tech 2 tool on a PC.

has anyone out here used one of these? I have thought about getting a tech 2, but since it is hardware based, i figure it will just break. And it doesn't really help me if I ever buy a newer vehicle.

Are there any gotchas to look out for?

My dad also used to work for a chevy dealer, so I might be able to buy a programmer directly from them, however I don't think they could sell me the software or the subscription.

The best price I have seen is $2400 from tool discounter.

I am not doing any heavy mods today, but I would be interested in changing out the exhaust and maybe converting to a HD transmission at some point in the future. IF i could program it myself, I would probably be more inclined to work on it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wouldn't look at the MDI UNLESS you can use it without the software subscription...the cost will add up over the years. I'm not sure if the MDI can do all the Tech 2 can without the software subscription. This leads me to believe it just does module programming:

http://www.ntxtools.com/networ.....-3845.html

Beware what you see on eBay...the majority of what you see is knockoff Chinese crap and will not be covered by any warranty. The Tech 2 is a fairly durable scan tool and you can buy the newer software down the line or upgrade with a CANdi module if your car is 2006+ and has CAN.

thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject:  Software / Tech2 Reply with quote

well a real/legitimate tech two appears to be about $3k. (lots of fakes on ebay)

The MDI you can download a license for the Tech2 programmer for 3 days for $55. And you can download software updates for $55.00 for 3 days. So you could theoretically update your computer every year for $125.00 (once you get past the hardware platform).

Maybe for a group of people in a large metropolitan area, they could pool/share the cost of the annual license. And just require a paypal deposit for the actual hardware/laptop. Then when it is returned, they could refund the deposit.

The tech2win software has to be re-activated every 30 days, even with a subscription. (There are also different levels of subscription).

The upfront costs seem to be about the same. However I think the adapter would be more durable than the scantool. (and you still need to get updates for the scantool).

**EDIT**
I found this article on determining real from fake.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect......16I209.pdf

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You do realize that neither the Tech2 nor the MDI will allow you to do any performance tuning right?

You can't even change the final drive ratio with them...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
You do realize that neither the Tech2 nor the MDI will allow you to do any performance tuning right?

You can't even change the final drive ratio with them...

BBEngineer

I know there was some sort of TIS2000 for actually flashing with the tech2.

I figured you could set PCMs/BCMs and update computer code with the MDI. I did not know that the MDI would not allow programming changes. That does suck. But it at least provides a means to update the computer. Even if one doesn't know how to do it yet.

At least the car programmers/tuners are much cheaper by comparison.

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can flash stock GM bin files, but there is no option for making tuning changes (fueling, timing, gearing, etc), so aside from diagnostics, it has limited use to most people.

You can configure the BCM, but most items of interest are not changeable once the BCM is locked (programmed plus some number of ignition cycles)... so again, little use IMO

You would be much better off with a DHP Powertuner (discontinued) or an HP Tuners if you want to be able to make changes to the stock tune

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.31

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tech2 is quickly being phased out. Can't use it on the new Camaro, for example. There's a growing list of vehicles it won't work with, but offhand I can't remember the rest. The most interesting things you can do with the Tech2 are making the ABS system automate brake bleeding, killing DRLs, activating new radios and making the cluster display a custom welcome message.

If you want to waste three grand, there's better ways. Light your Impala on fire and buy three more, get a half-asian hooker for a week, get a blonde hooker for a weekend, become a doomsday prepper, shave a bunch of weird dogs and let them loose as a chupacabra hoax, or go on a bender.

thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to waste three grand, there's better ways. Light your Impala on fire and buy three more, get a half-asian hooker for a week, get a blonde hooker for a weekend, become a doomsday prepper, shave a bunch of weird dogs and let them loose as a chupacabra hoax, or go on a bender.

I have caught my impala on fire 2x. 1 wielding 1 electrical. 3rd times a charm.
Already married XieXie, why bother renting.
Not into dog shaving
And I already have the DC freezer/refrigerator. I also have a solar powered dryer. Although in the south we use the common parlance... clothesline.

----
The Tech2 will not be useful for doing any programming to cars after 2008. And I think it will stop being able to diagnose cars newer than 2012.
----

I am taking up a collection for a 55 gallon drum of tabasco.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: