NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Inspecting or Replacing Exhaust Manifold
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Inspecting or Replacing Exhaust Manifold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie2003LS

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:  Inspecting or Replacing Exhaust Manifold Reply with quote

My Impala 3.8 had been suffering from poor acceleration and a bad exhaust leak tick. Had the shop diagnose it as a bad cat , they claimed the exhaust leak would resolve itself when the back-pressure was removedĒand the gaskets would seat themselvesĒ So had them weld in a new cat. After they finished the exhaust leak is still present and the shop guesses I have a cracked exhaust manifold or EGR tube. They want way too much to replace it, so Iím trying to give it a shot.

So far Iíve been underneath and donít see easy access to it. Iíve rocked the motor back with no luck either. I canít even get the heat shield off to inspect it (I undid two clips, but it still doesnít come off) Does anyone know of a writeup that shows how to do this? (replace rear exhaust manifold, preferably with photos?) How big of pain will this be to replace?
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its honestly not too bad, the hardest part is unbolting it from the crossover because the bolts get old and rusty and stuck...As far as the heat shield, my front one I just rupped off when I was removing it.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

rock motor forward for anything on the firewall side of the engine. I never did the rear exhaust manifold but It looks do-able, prob very tough, but possible. When I did my rear spark plugs I had to literally sit on top of the engine...I think you're gonna have to sit on it to reach.... I am not sure but it looks like 3 bolts on the head (and of course the ones on the crossover). I think if you can get the bolts loose you have a snowballs chance in hell of replacing it in your garage. If you don't mind bleeding and cursing try it. lol...... I've been thinking about replacing mine too

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The rear manifold is very difficult to remove...

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont get what all the fuss is about lol.

its not THAT bad...just make sure the engine is forward enough. I usually get mine so my front exhaust is pressing on the fan shield. You'll have a lot of room then. If you still cant get it, maybe take off the alternator to reach the bolts better.

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies so far...

I'm going to try replacing the gasket at the front DP flange first, just in case that's the problem, but I guess it probably isn't.

I've been attaching a ratcheting strap to the bracket just to the right of the alternator (cushioning it as it passes over the engine and avoiding fuel line) and then attaching under the metal lip behind the air dam under the car. Is there a better way to rock the motor forward that would give me more clearance?

Any ideas for directing pb blaster at the bolts without covering the back of the engine? (The bolts are at an awkward angle and are almost impossible to get to with the can) I really don't want to break any studs or bolts here so this is a must. I can't seem to get at them from below either.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

remove the dogbones
this is easier with a friend helping, but rock the car backwards and forwards.
As the engine hits the peak point going forwards (all the way forward) slam down the e-brake.

That will hold the engine rocked forward..takes some practice but after a few times it becomes easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: