NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 9C1 ex-cop car, Horn Inoperative
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

9C1 ex-cop car, Horn Inoperative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee49

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject:  9C1 ex-cop car, Horn Inoperative Reply with quote

My daughter bought a 2001 9C1 Impala. Beautiful car, but I discovered the horn in inoperable. I know they often bypass the horn on police cars and use the horn switches to activate the siren. The horn fuses are in place. Is there an easy workaround to restore the horn?

I know there is probably a cut and splice somewhere, but I different agencies cut and splice in different spots.

Any input appreciated. Thank you.

PS, while this 9C1 may not be as fast as the sheriff Ford Interceptor I am used to driving, it is way faster and better handling than the unmarked Ford Taurus units.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hard to say specifically... try calling the fleet maintenance department of the department you bought it from and ask who does/did their behicle upfitting, then try calling them and explaining your dilemma. Hopefully they will tell you where to look.

eltee49

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did reach out to SJPD but it is an old car (2001). It seems as if there were three popular places to take out the horn circuit and tap it into a siren:

1. Under the dash panel, left and below the steering wheel
2. From a wire bundle under the carpet on the passenger side near the front door
3. Under the hood

It may just be easier to tap into the horn wires from under the dash and rewire as needed instead of searching for an elusive cut wire somewhere. Any suggestions appreciated.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.tooltopia.com/power-probe-ect2000.aspx

Smile

daedricprince
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i had the same issue. first warning, do not take it to a dealer like i did (big mistake), the stealership charged me $210 to get my horn back in operation.

However you may find this useful:

The horn wire runs under the passenger seat at some point, so they said. It was cut here. It apparently took them 2 hours to trace down, hence the hefty fee.

Anyway i was pissed about paying $210 on a horn, but under that seat may be a good place to look. oh, and dont take it to the dealer Razz

Danny_9C1
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have heard of this before but have never delt with it myself.If you ask me its really stupid for any outfitter to do this.Its as if they think the car will never be used for anything other than police service.At some time and point the car will be retired and offered to the general public,who WILL need a working horn in order to pass inspection Rolling Eyes

BTW what year are them unmarked Taurus units you speak of?

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
Danno

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had the same problem. It turned out the horn ITSELF was bad. I took the horn off another Impala (which takes all of five seconds since all you do is pop out the passenger side headlight and undo two screws) and put it on to test. Picked up a "new" one for 4 bucks at the junkyard. Boom. Fixed.
eltee49

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My department used Chevy 9C1 Caprices, Ford Interceptors, and Ford Taurus specials for unmarked and admin cars. Even had a few Dodge Diplomats and Chevy Malibus back in the day. NEVER had the Impala so none of the guys at my own corp yard could help.

However, I reached out to some other cops and it turns out the splice was in the wire bundle running by the passenger seat. Simple reconnect of a cut wire, honks like a goose now.

THANKS for the tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: