NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Lowering Gas prices!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Lowering Gas prices!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:  Lowering Gas prices! Reply with quote

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.00 PER LITRE.
This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Haliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.
Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!
I hear we are going to hit close to $ 1.50 a litre by this summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?
We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas ...
It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!
By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $.99 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.28 at SUNOCO and ESSO for regular unleaded in Hamilton and Ottawa and climbing every week.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $.87 to .99, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.
With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.
The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.
But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA) and ESSO.
If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA ) and ESSO gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers .
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
I* it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!
How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!
Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA)/ESSO UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $.99 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
REMEMBER STARTING MAY 1st NO GAS FROM ESSO / PETROCAN / SUNOCO!
(why wait till then, get into the habit by starting now)
WORTH A SHOT! PASS THE WORD!

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That won't work at all. That's a dumb idea just like not buying gas for a day.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's a bit more complex than sniping a few OPEC execs.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I only buy gas once every two weeks as it is. If my day coincides with yours, you're out of luck... otherwise, I am on board! Laughing

In reality this doesn't work anyway. Want to really stick it to oil execs? Move closer to work and/or buy more fuel efficient cars or a bike. Oil prices wouldn't likely drop anyway (Ive seen this in action with utilities like municipal water), but you'd be buying less anyway.

Around here they push water conservation quite a bit, but now that the local government (who supplies and bills for water) isn't making the same amount of money they used to (due to less sales volume), the price has gone up (because their wellhead systems do not become cheaper to maintain or construct). It's a beautiful system where have to do what you can, or you get screwed both ways (by using less efficient toilets, taps etc., AND by paying more money per unit of water you use)

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wouldn't more fuel-efficient cars raise prices since you would buy less fuel overall?

We all need to buy 10mpg cars again, and fill up constantly lol

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unfortunately the gas is one of those pesky inelastic products... people need gas to go to work/school/errands etc. It doesn't matter if you buy from vendor A or vendor B, if you are purchasing gas your demand is still there and will have no bearing on the overall market...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

what iffy and chibi said already.

honestly, if i owned a gas station (well i would be paying for gas for one) and if a bunch of people tried that, I would just jack up prices for the next week.

you have to fill up sometime Wink lol

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's a meatloaf email. The only redeeming features is you didn't use email to spread it here. It's as old as the one about abstaining gas for a day. If it's new to you, you don't get out much.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:
Wouldn't more fuel-efficient cars raise prices since you would buy less fuel overall?

Yes, because they'll see the demand has gone down and raise the prices to maintain their income accordingly. The beauty of it is, though you're still getting screwed, if you use less than average, you also spend less than average. It's nice to see that you're not drawing the short straw every time Very Happy

chibiblacksheep wrote:

We all need to buy 10mpg cars again, and fill up constantly lol

How does the 3800 with the 6 speed do for milage? I am curious.

Also, where are you on Forza? Haven't seen you since you beat my time in the Kia Cee'd. Do I have you beat you for you to come back? Because I've gotten good with manual+clutch now and may take another kick at the can Laughing

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Anyone live near an airport? How much is Jet-A?
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.76

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its funny how people complain about the price of gas....Now think how much you pay for that coffee every morning.

Sold 28/10/11
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
Its funny how people complain about the price of gas....Now think how much you pay for that coffee every morning.

I don't drink coffee Smile

But i agree..look at Europe's gas prices, then complain about our ~$4 a gallon prices.

Ill start bitching when it gets over $5.50

Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lostwrench wrote:
Anyone live near an airport? How much is Jet-A?

Checking FBO prices around me it'll run from $5.50 to $6.75 a gal. American for Jet-A into plane service.

If you want to point fingers at folks about the oil prices look at the folks in congress that threw out a law that helped protect and keep things reasonably priced and the oil speculators that are having a field day manipulating the market now because of it..

Last edited by 05imp on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Frank4202 wrote:

I don't drink coffee Smile

But i agree..look at Europe's gas prices, then complain about our ~$4 a gallon prices.

Ill start bitching when it gets over $5.50

I dont drink coffee either, but the lunch places around here are amazing.

Gas here is $5.11 for regular right now, and estimates for summertime (does forecasting mean anything when we're talking gas prices anyway???) are pointing to over $5.70.

madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Buying less gas does not raise the price. No retailer can get away with raising prices to offset reduced sales. The delicate balance of price/profit/sales is a difficult science. In some ways, demand has little bearing. It's a reduction in demand, which puts downward pressure on the price. That doesn't mean the price will drop though. It just reduces the max price market will bear, which is currently higher than they are charging. IOW, they will be gradually raising the price to that number by the middle of summer, despite a mild drop in demand, certainly not because of it. Reduce demand will lower that ceiling.

Avoiding a certain make of gas for a season is foling yourself. The big oil companies, are in the business of exploring, extracting, and marketing crude. Who you buy gasoline from is immaterial. Often it is a third part,y like Syncrude, that refines the oil. When you buy gas at someplace other than Sunoco or Petro Canada or Esso, that gasoline could be from oil that was extracted by one of those companies. They have other businesses too, like wax, white oils, lubes, etc, which carry a much higher profit margin. Gasoline is not their only source of income. And like I said, they often have little to do with the gasoline. All you will hurt by avoiding a brand is the retailer, who is a franchisee. That may be a mom and pop or it may be a large company.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: