NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Catless (gutted cat)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Catless (gutted cat)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:  Catless (gutted cat) Reply with quote

I just wanted to say something about my experience replacing my cat over the last week. Currently I have the magnaflow 2405 (or close to that number) that I installed this saturday. I reset my pcm to get the p0420 code off and I believe I have gone through a full driving cycle. I am unhappy with the results Sad . The reason is because I basically gutted my cat last week before I could get the new one on and the car had much more torque and hp than it does now with the new pipe. Now it is possible that the pcm is not fully reset but so far I have seen that as far as power goes a gutted cat or a straight pipe does have a pretty hefty gain on a L36 n/a. I keep reading people say that you will only get 1-2 hp with no cat but I am certain it was more like 20. I'm just saying that the magnaflow does bog you down compared to catless in my opinion. I might fully gut my old cat and throw it on for fun on some weekend in the future but not as an everyday thing... I know it is illegal, messes with backpressure, and is bad for the ozone.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Illegal smeagle... What does that word mean anyway? Lol Wink
I would say drive it some more, hit the freeway. I would think you would for sure see a difference between no restriction vs restriction, and I bet no car sounds a hell of a lot better! Is the new cat a high flow one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I doubt you got 20 hp out of a gutted cat. It will more than likely set a code with a gutted cat as well unless of course you get that tuned out on the PCM.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I really doubt you're pulling anywhere near 20 horsepower from gutting the cat.

Only way to find out is to put it on the dyno.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Today the air was cooler and the car responded better than yesterday.. but i'm still thinking catless does give more than 2hp.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Today the air was cooler and the car responded better than yesterday.. but i'm still thinking catless does give more than 2hp.

maybe, but its def not 20 lol

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Confused Meh........

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:  Re: Catless (gutted cat) Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
I just wanted to say something about my experience replacing my cat over the last week. Currently I have the magnaflow 2405 (or close to that number) that I installed this saturday. I reset my pcm to get the p0420 code off and I believe I have gone through a full driving cycle. I am unhappy with the results Sad . The reason is because I basically gutted my cat last week before I could get the new one on and the car had much more torque and hp than it does now with the new pipe. Now it is possible that the pcm is not fully reset but so far I have seen that as far as power goes a gutted cat or a straight pipe does have a pretty hefty gain on a L36 n/a. I keep reading people say that you will only get 1-2 hp with no cat but I am certain it was more like 20. I'm just saying that the magnaflow does bog you down compared to catless in my opinion. I might fully gut my old cat and throw it on for fun on some weekend in the future but not as an everyday thing... I know it is illegal, messes with backpressure, and is bad for the ozone.

stock cat can be used up to 300whp without hurting performance, sorry its all in your head if you think you got 20hp.
did you reset the pcm during cat change? probably why it feels sluggish, i was disappointed in my hv3 when i first installed but decided to wait for the pcm to relearn, glad i did cause after few days hv3 helped much more!

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah I am hoping thats the deal

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
RJD357

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Question  Reply with quote

Just wondering how difficult it is to remove the cat on a 3.4 2001 Impala? Can you get to the bolts behind the engine from below or do you have to go over the top?

If the old cat was badly clogged it might give a 20 hp boost with it gutted.
XXWoodmanXX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Question  Reply with quote

RJD357 wrote:

If the old cat was badly clogged it might give a 20 hp boost with it gutted.

True. As with many 3.8 Imps now turning 10+ yrs in age, the crystalization effect inside out cats have nearly if not completely clogged them. So gutting it would definitely yield quite a boost in HP. I went with a 2.5" Magnaflow cat, along with the U-bend and Res. delete, followed by a Flowmaster exhaust, and I know I released quite a bit of HP by freeing up the exhaust.

Just came in from the heat, after installing Iffyg's shorty dogbones and Poly motor mounts he sent me! Cool
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Or...take the cat into the scrap yard and get 50 bucks for it.
RJD357

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Question  Reply with quote

RJD357 wrote:
Just wondering how difficult it is to remove the cat on a 3.4 2001 Impala? Can you get to the bolts behind the engine from below or do you have to go over the top?

I never did get an answer. Anybody?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't have the car handy nearby today, but I beleive it's a welded component of the downpipe, then flange bolted to the u-bend. So you'd have to cut it out and weld in a section of pipe. And hope you live somewhere completely emissions-ignorant, otherwise you'll get nailed for it next time you go for emissions test.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RJD357

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
I don't have the car handy nearby today, but I beleive it's a welded component of the downpipe, then flange bolted to the u-bend. So you'd have to cut it out and weld in a section of pipe. And hope you live somewhere completely emissions-ignorant, otherwise you'll get nailed for it next time you go for emissions test.

My plan was to replace my cat with a drop in magnaflow replacement, u-bend, flanges and all. I just wanted to know how difficult it is to get to the flange behind the engine to unbolt it there, and how hard it will be to get the rusted bolts off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: