NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Building an exhaust for my 01 Ls
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Building an exhaust for my 01 Ls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:  Building an exhaust for my 01 Ls Reply with quote

I am going to see if I can put together a parts list So I can replace my catback with duals. I am aware that I will need a second muffler hanger welded on and I will deal with that when the time comes. I have a new downpipe (magnaflow w/ cat) on the way. The 2 things I am needing help with is having a COMPLETE list of miscellaneous parts (gasket between downpipe and resonator, gasket btw res and muffler pipe, gasket btwn pipe and mufflers, also clamps, muffler hangers etc). I realize that clamps I will need will differ depending upon which resonator, pipe, and mufflers. I am probablly going to buy the parts off rock auto.

I am listing the components (including gaskets and hangers) in sequential order from downpipe to mufflers

Here's what I am buying so far:
Downpipe w/ cat Magnaflow Part # 23433
>I need 2 Walker "insulators" part # 35352 Between the downpipe w/ cat and the resonator which are not listed on rock auto So need to find

Resonator WALKER Part # 21398 (as in pic above)

A U-Bolt clamp Walker part # 35336 to clamp resonator to pipe

For the pipe I am going to buy the Walker #55525. This is a Y-pipe. It is explained in this thread here ->http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46481&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A Walker #35460 "Insulator" will go on the Y-pipe about half way down on the passanger side and connect to the stock location. Another A Walker #35460 will go about half way down the Y-pipe on the drivers side Connected to a newly welded hanger. There will be two more Walker #35460, one on each side of the Y-pipe, close to the end of it.

I need to know what I should buy as far as a piece of metal to weld to the car so the Y-Pipe on the drivers side can be hung

Next: 2 Walker Part #35336 U-bolt Clamps to connect the Y-Pipe to the New Mufflers.

For Mufflers I plan on buying something Unique. I might want Oval tips and might go on ebay. Now since the Y-pipe is 1.88" according to the thread above how do I get a muffler to fit?

The only thing left now is to weld in another 2 hangers for the drivers side new muffler and put 2 Walker Insulators Part # 35460 on each side.

Everything except for the Mufflers, Hangers, Labor, and Downpipe (which cost $169 from another site) comes to a total of $132.37.

I put this list together because I seriously want to get a system. I am planning on trying to install it myself, I might just mock up the system, draw with chalk where I need the new hangers welded, then put it all together at home. the 3 main things I need hand with right now are:

1) Did I miss anything as far as hardware?
2) Where can I find the few parts that I listed here but aren't on rock auto?
3) What size muffler is going to fit on the Y-Pipe?
4) Will this system reach beyond the rear bumper?

thanks for reading, please post a reply. [/b]

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Now i'm going to make a cleaver comment so I don't have to say "bump" and this thread gets noticed

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There's no "I" in team.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject:  Re: Building an exhaust for my 01 Ls Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
I need 2 Walker "insulators" part # 35352 Between the downpipe w/ cat and the resonator which are not listed on rock auto So need to find[/color]

I need to know what I should buy as far as a piece of metal to weld to the car so the Y-Pipe on the drivers side can be hung

For Mufflers I plan on buying something Unique. I might want Oval tips and might go on ebay. Now since the Y-pipe is 1.88" according to the thread above how do I get a muffler to fit?

1) Did I miss anything as far as hardware?
2) Where can I find the few parts that I listed here but aren't on rock auto?
3) What size muffler is going to fit on the Y-Pipe?
4) Will this system reach beyond the rear bumper?

thanks for reading, please post a reply. [/b]

EDIT: Rock auto link doesnt work. But I found the insulators on summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-35352/

As far as a piece of metal to weld to the car I would try a junkyard. Maybe not a hanger off of an impala due to size loss when taking it off the car - find a big hanger on another vehicle and use that on your car. Or just have an exhaust shop custom fabricate one for you.

Have you ordered the Y pipe yet? I cant imagine the outlets being 1.88" Confused but I guess its possible. You SHOULD be able to get 2"-2.5" INLET mufflers on the Y with the right clamps or welding. The outlets on the Y should go inside the inlets on the mufflers. 2" muffler inlet would likely be the best fit.

1. Dont forget the downpipe to resonator pipe gasket. There arent any other gaskets in the system after the resonator pipe.
2. Explained
3. Explained
4. I bought a similar system from Dynomax and I had a hard time making it REACH the back of the car. I wouldnt worry about it sticking out past the bumper unless you get some really long tips.

Hope I covered everything. BTW I have a rockauto promo code I wont be using, if you want it PM me I think its good until April 1st.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

even on te SS exhuast the outlets do get smaller after the resonator and splitting to y-pipe
2008 SS catback

see gets smaller.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS:

Thanks for finding those "insulators" for me. I have not bought the system yet. I am still getting it all together on paper first. I will send you pm for rock auto code, thanks.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if it doesnt reach the back bumper, AutoZone sells extension pipes. I just bought a couple for the Monte, $5.14 each after tax.

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I need to know for sure what exhaust inlet diameter I need. I am gonna shop for quality mufflers but I am also toying with getting two stock ones. I like exhaust without tips.

Also where can I get 2 new bolts and nuts for the downpipe to manifold?

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: