NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Handling kit / tools needed...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Handling kit / tools needed...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Question Handling kit / tools needed... Reply with quote

I'm expecting delivery of the handling kit via ZSPOT on Monday...(the front and rear sways,trailing arms,and rear STB)he offered the following advice,and I'm lookin' for a lil' more info w/o buggin' him too much.

ZSPOT qoute;

"Install on everything is pretty straight forward. You may need to drop the rear of the engine cradle to get the front sway bar out easier. The front sway bar also comes with new bushings and end links. And yes, you would be better off getting the brackets from Don Rome. It makes the install a piece of cake. Otherwise, you would need to remove rear struts and drill holes."

My question(s) would be along the lines of what tools I would need to do it myself?
Such as socket depth/size(s),wrenches,etc...as most of my "good" tools reside at work and I don't want to drag a whole bunch of stuff back and forth...even though I may just chip away at it.I will be ordering the Don Rome brackets here shortly.

Thanx for any feedback Smile

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A standard set of sockets should get almost everything done.

I don't know how often people actually have to fiddle with the engine cradle.... my front sway bar installed very easily without doing anything extra.

The biggest problem I had was getting the rusted bolts out of the rusted journals for the trailing arms (the end toward the front of the car) I would recommend spraying them daily from now until your install with penetrating oil like fluid film or something similar, and having a torch, vise, and BFH handy as well.

Everything went smoothly for me, those journals (one for each trailing arm) being the only problem.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As for the "standard socket set"...do you actually mean standard or metric?

Concerning the BFH,would that be standard or metric...right-handed or left-handed...or both,one for each side? Laughing

Thanx for the info

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

patyson wrote:
As for the "standard socket set"...do you actually mean standard or metric?

Concerning the BFH,would that be standard or metric...right-handed or left-handed...or both,one for each side? Laughing

Thanx for the info

I want to say metric but I installed mine 4 or 5 years ago and I don't recall the sizes for sure. When I (absentmindedly) said "standard set" I meant a set containing both systems

BFH is unilaterally compatible to lefties, righties, americans, and the rest of the world Laughing

No problem.. spray those bolts and journals! You don't want to wait until d-day to start spraying 'em.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

"BFH is unilaterally compatible to lefties, righties, americans, and the rest of the world "

Well,I'm more American than I am ambidextrous...so,we'll see. Rolling Eyes

Thanx

edit; Oh yeah,I had the oil changed and a tire rotation/balance today...so while she was up in the air,based on thinking metric,it looked to us to be anywhere from maybe 14mm up to maybe a 28mm to get it done all the way around...sound familiar anyone?...anyone,anyone...

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I want to say that the trailing arms have either a 22 or24mm, I'm going to go with 24 for the large bolt/nut combo that doesn't want to come apart. Impact will take care of this, just switch directions. The 3 that go into the up in the subframe should be 15 mm, small impact turned down to the no break setting works the best. Back it out a bit, spray some lube in, work it back and forth till she comes out easy.
patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great info from you guys and great news...for me,at least...my new neighbor right across the street has a brand new compressor and all the goodies to go along with it.So,between the vast knowledge I get here,his help,and my lil' bit of both I should be able to get it done within the next couple of weekends. Can't wait.

Hopefully my next post via this thread will be my opinions on the new setup.

Thanx again...I'm certainly still inviting any more feedback in the interim. Very Happy

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I didn't realize you had an LS Sport and not just a regular LS.

I'm not sure what components come stock on the LS Sport, some of the GMPP parts might already be on your car.

Maybe measure diameters with a caliper before loosening off any bolts? Unless of course you want to replace with a shinier version of the same part. Laughing

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.29

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The LS sport was only an appearance package. No other goodies. Mad

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
The LS sport was only an appearance package. No other goodies. Mad

Well, if nothing else, it means Patyson isn't buying parts he already has Laughing

patyson
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well...got the Don Rome brackets a couple of days ago,and got the rear STB mounted today.It's probably all in my head,but,I swear I noticed a difference. Rolling Eyes

Still need to get to the underside...will post back when I get that part done.

Thanx

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its not in your head. The rear stb makes a huge difference

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Its not in your head. The rear stb makes a huge difference

Very Happy Thanx for the feedback...one less thing that's in my head. Rolling Eyes

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lol, many people agree that the addition of a rear stb is the single best mod (esp for the price) for suspension on these cars. I love it since I added mine

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you do the sway bars and trailing arms,as well?

Thanx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: