NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Serious Headligh Issue!! (HELP PLEASE)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Serious Headligh Issue!! (HELP PLEASE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:  Serious Headligh Issue!! (HELP PLEASE) Reply with quote

long story short

my headlight assembly went bad (the harness part)

so i put my factory's back in

well, now when i pull light switch all the way back (towards me) as far as the switch goes (theres 3 levels)
On the 3rd level, Now all my headlights stay on,meaning Low beam and High beam are on at the same time! on third level.

its still bright outstide, so im not sure what there going to do at night time..if its going to kick the lows on like it should, or not..somethin def. is different!

and having the low's and the highs on in daytime running wouldnt b so bad,but it appears to me, that lights are much dimmer when there all on, kind of like the highs are drawing power from the lows,
so how would that b possible, i did no wireing or anything..just plug and go

thx for any help..if not , my only choice is a dealer i guess...i have to have my lights working correctly at night time, i cant b stranded out somewhere with my lights all jacked up

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if you melted the harness, then there is a short somewhere. You need to trace the entire line to see where the problem is.

the description "went bad" wont help anyone help you. We need to know exactly what happened.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The beauty of DIY electrics.

I don't know if there is a plug and play portion of the harness you can buy that pertains only to the headlights, or if you're going to be splicing bits out after you figure out what's bad and what's good.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the harness didnt melt...the metal prongs insinde (the headlight part) broke off!!!!

so i put in factory headlight assembly,,i havnt cut,or spliced or done anything to any wires yet....

The driver side works perfectly fine!
but as soon as i hook up the passenger...all the lights start working,but turn dim!

its really weird...ive never seen anything like this before..and honestly i thought i new damn near everything about this car...not anymore..im stuck..and i really dont want to go to a dealer..cuz u know how there going to treat me..everything in my car is aftermarket..hell they might not even no its an impala honestly!
So i would like to try anything possible and not get to that point

but like i said, the driver side works perfectly fine. like nothings wrong. UNTIL i hook up passenger side..and i took a buddys headlight assembly out his impala and we swapped..and my assembly works fine in his car, but not in mine,and his works of course on his car, but then not in mine!

i believe i have it narrowed down to a wire issue,maybe a ground short out,
Or the harness it self,
Or, the Headlight switch, Inside the car!, because it does different things also..when i hook up the passenger side now
For instance..when i do have both headlights going..i can no longer dim interior lights!!

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:  headlight issue Reply with quote

Dim lights I would look for a ground problem. Cool

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Plug just the passenger side in, does it still happen? Check all grounding points as previously stated.

NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

something is still messed up!!!

i wired a 9006 bulb/connector, straight to the battery, and the bulb comes on, only thing is, i have to manually disconnect it, every time i turn car off,

The Driver side, assembly is working fine..

I took the high and low beam bulbs out of the passenger side assembly,which is the one im havin issues with ..and right now i just have that low beam wired straight to the battery!!!

But i did find out another issue!

the 9006 bulb-wired to battery, will only work, with ground to the batttery, for example, i have the red wire-positive, connected to battery, BUT, i should b able to take the ground wire,and bolt it to any exhisting ground wire , BUT, it will not get power, from any ground on bolt on my car, at all!!, meaning, the bulb i wired to batter, will only work,wired to battery!!

I no for alot of people, this is alot of info to take in..but if u electrical guys out there,can bare with me,and help me out, in any way, id apriciate it....

Just another quick go around of whats going on....
Driver side headlight assembly works perfectly fine, ONLY, when passenger bulbs, are disconnected from its assembly...If i put the bulbs back in..and hook up assembly's like every impala should b, my passenger wont work..AND it makes driver side assembly work funny, like, example, lights wont flicker on, when i hit the key fob button, to unlock doors, anybody with a 2000-2005 impala should no, when u hit unlock, your lows, should blink on, stay on for about 5 sec. then shut off..if the bulbs are in passenger assembly, that funtion doesnt work either..

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject:  headlight issue Reply with quote

bad bulbs on the passenger side. Cool

NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: headlight issue Reply with quote

topgun wrote:

man be for real!!!!!

u sound like a straight idiot!! can you read??

i just said the bulb works, connected to the battery...

if your not of any help, dont comment with stupid s**t tryna piss me off

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject:  Re: headlight issue Reply with quote

NapT0wnRider317 wrote:
topgun wrote:

man be for real!!!!!

u sound like a straight idiot!! can you read??

i just said the bulb works, connected to the battery...

if your not of any help, dont comment with stupid s**t tryna piss me off

I know he wasnt helping any, but can you read? You obviously have a ground issue. No one online can help you find it or properly diagnose it. You either need to find a shop to look into the issue, or you need to learn about electrical systems, buy the proper tools and find the problem yourself.

Want to know how I can tell you have a ground issue (besides the people here already telling you this)?

You hook the ground of the bulb to the battery and it works
You hook the ground of the bulb to the chassis and it doesnt
So you have something wrong with the ground to that system, trace the harnesses to find the ground wires and make sure they have the proper contact (using a multimeter) Also, get yourself a wiring diagram of the different harnesses in the system and check each ground.

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject:  headlight issue Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes My bad for being an idiot.
I meant to say bad ground not bad bulbs on passenger side. Ohh well. I'm going back to sleep now. Cool

NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my bad...i didnt mean to come off as a dick.. topgun!!!

and pitch black ss...you are right.... and i only asked this question here just to see if anyone maybe have encountered this problem also,and might have the answers i was looking for,,thats it...u gave me useful information,and i apriciate it 4 sure....but as far as takin it to a local shop..lol...i would trust giving my car to you,then people near me

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well, before you dive into any car build, you should have a shop you trust on stand by. I've built many cars in the past, went for a long stretch without building a car because the shop I used closed up (guy retired). It was a solid 8 years before I found a shop I trust. After that, I started playing again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: