NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission fluid temps
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission fluid temps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject:  Transmission fluid temps Reply with quote

For those of you that monitor your transmisison fluid temps, what do you normally see while cruising on the highway?

Also what do you consider to be too hot for the fluid. I know people say every 20 degrees cuts fluid life by half, but where does the ideal range end?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just went through this dilemma. Dave at TEP said ideal temp ranges are around 180 - 185 but it's not abnormal to see temps around 200-210 in traffic with the a/c on and ambient temp being 85+. What we just went through my transmission fluid temp would range from 235-270 all within 25 minutes of driving, not in traffic. We bypassed the radiator transmission cooler and put in an external cooler and it get's the job done very well. It has been mid 80s to 90s the last week or two and my transmission temperature never goes over 174*F - mind you, I don't drive my car easily. My monitor is on every time I drive my car, it's a force of habit, and a good one too. In the mornings (20 minute drive to school) I sit in some traffic; I rarely see it hit 150*. On the highway driving to the airport (45 minute drive at 80ish mph it was hovering around 158*F.

I know you just had your transmission rebuilt again right? I would seriously consider getting an external cooler installed, hands down best thing we have done to the car. They're not too expensive and seems like it's pretty easy to install.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ugh... my fluid hit 220 on the highway driving 70 MPH in 60* ambient temps. Driving around town for more than half an hour or so and I'm pushing 210. I really need to figure out what the hell is wrong because I want the shop to fix my damn transmission before I take the car up to Wisconsin next month...

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Ugh... my fluid hit 220 on the highway driving 70 MPH in 60* ambient temps. Driving around town for more than half an hour or so and I'm pushing 210. I really need to figure out what the hell is wrong because I want the shop to fix my damn transmission before I take the car up to Wisconsin next month...

Yeah, it shouldn't be getting that high. Are you running a ACDelco OEM radiator? Have them flush the transmission cooler and flow test it as well. If that checks out, still can't rule out the transmission cooler because that was my problem. But if something in the transmission is slipping causing it to heat up like that that needs to be addressed first. If anything driving at 70mph on the highway, the transmission should be COOLING off not heating up because the torque converter is supposed to be locked up which means no slipping of clutches. Have they made sure the torque converter clutch is being applied all the way? I know with each rebuild my shop did they replaced the torque converter as well because if excessive debris gets in the torque converter like after a transmission blows up, it will severely cut torque converter life.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm still running my factory radiator. Do you have a link to what you used for the transmission cooler? I'm gonna run the car on the highway one more time in cool weather and see if it hits 220 again. If it does, I'm going back to the shop and having them look into things further.

Edit: I should add that the air conditioner has been off when I've been driving so far. I'm terrified of what might happen if I turned it on.

Dan wrote:

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn can't anyone rebuilt a 4T65-E right the first time?? This makes me nervous WHEN I have mine rebuilt. Sad

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dave at TEP does it right the first time, every time. I really wish I would have gone to him in the first place...

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Dave at TEP does it right the first time, every time. I really wish I would have gone to him in the first place...

X2.

I'm not sure what external transmission cooler they used, but they completely bypassed the radiator so the transmission fluid is no longer heated up by the coolant. This further helps keep transmission fluid temperature cooler than the coolant, which is a good thing. I can snap a picture of how they installed it if you'd like.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I won't be doing anything until the root cause is addressed. Slapping a cooler on there now will just put off the inevitable. I really need this thing to blow up again and get it rebuilt, then I can put a cooler on. That being said, I'll take any info you can give me as I want to prevent issues in the future.

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I won't be doing anything until the root cause is addressed. Slapping a cooler on there now will just put off the inevitable. I really need this thing to blow up again and get it rebuilt, then I can put a cooler on. That being said, I'll take any info you can give me as I want to prevent issues in the future.

Didn't you just have it "rebuilt" within the past week or so?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It was back at the shop. They drove it around quite a bit and did some minor troubleshooting. I got fed up with it and called them to figure out what was up. They said that there is definitely something wrong, but they couldn't determine what it was (they claim they can't do anything until it throws a code), so they couldn't fix it.

Their trans guy was feeding me some bull**** about MAF sensors, TPS values, MAP sensors, you name it, but it couldn't be his rebuilt trans. He's done hundreds and no one has had to have his rebuild, rebuilt.

I've been watching all of my sensors on the Aeroforce and nothing is out of the ordinary when it's acting up. The only thing that is out of the usual is the trans fluid temps as reported by my Aeroforce... next time the fluid hits 220+ I'm gonna snap a photo of my gauge and bring it to the shop and ask them what the deal is...

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
It was back at the shop. They drove it around quite a bit and did some minor troubleshooting. I got fed up with it and called them to figure out what was up. They said that there is definitely something wrong, but they couldn't determine what it was (they claim they can't do anything until it throws a code), so they couldn't fix it.

Their trans guy was feeding me some bull**** about MAF sensors, TPS values, MAP sensors, you name it, but it couldn't be his rebuilt trans. He's done hundreds and no one has had to have his rebuild, rebuilt.

I've been watching all of my sensors on the Aeroforce and nothing is out of the ordinary when it's acting up. The only thing that is out of the usual is the trans fluid temps as reported by my Aeroforce... next time the fluid hits 220+ I'm gonna snap a photo of my gauge and bring it to the shop and ask them what the deal is...

Honestly, sounds like you need to go and hold the brake down to the floor and mash the gas pedal to the ground. Let those clutches slip, and let the transmission heat itself to death. Sounds like the only way you'll get it rebuilt again - hopefully correctly.

Again, ask them and make sure they flushed and flow tested the transmission cooler.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not gonna cook the transmission intentionally as the shop has already acknowledged there is a problem and they will fix it even after the warranty expires (they are honest people and aren't out to screw me). I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of driving next weekend and then again in April. I figure if it isn't fixed by then, the 2000+ miles that I'll be putting on the car will make it act up enough to throw a code or something...

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What other issues are you having other than it just running hot?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For starters, when they rebuilt it it was short 3+ quarts of fluid (the online database they use had the wrong value for a bone dry rebuild) and I drove it about 50 miles before realizing it. It was driving horribly during that period of time, but as soon as I realized that was the problem, the shop sent a guy to my house to top off the fluid and had me follow him back and they gave it a once over and it seemed to be fine.

It was perfect for about 2000 miles, then I drove it up to Chicago for Christmas. On the ride back to Nashville, I spent most of the drive between 45 and 50 MPH due to snow and my tach was bouncing around from time to time much like this video shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdmL68HIBVE . It doesn't do it all the time, but it definitely worse when its running hot.

It runs decently for the first few minutes the car is on, but eventually the 1-2 shift alternates between being nice and firm to very sloppy and long and then the 2-3 shift becomes long an sloppy.

The 2 guys at the shop drove it and told me it was doing exactly what I said it was doing, but they don't want to do anything until it throws a code. They are adamant that trans problems will always throw a code. I countered by telling them my car was shifting poorly for 2+ years before I finally got the p1811 that brought me to them in the first place. The way it stands with the shop now, is that I need to drive it until it gets worse and hopefully throws a code.

Dan wrote:

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: