NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Siphon gas
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Siphon gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zvm77
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject:  Siphon gas Reply with quote

Before I give up the car to the junk yard, is there a way to get all the gas out of the tank (besides letting the engine burn it all, lol)?
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You could drop the tank..

Or you could remove the fuel lines at the tank and drain it.

Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've drained my tank once or twice by disconnecting the fuel line at the filter (the quick disconnect, not the threads), slipping a clear vinyl hose over the end of the fuel filter, and using a jumper pack on the wiring harness to the fuel pump by pulling the access panel in the trunk.

Of course, I have an extra harness plug and about six inches of wiring that I picked up at the auto parts store specifically for this reason, but seeing how you don't want to spend any money on the car, I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing by cutting the actual harness and then hooking it up to something.

shotokan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you're not too worried about a litlle spillage just put the car on axle stands, get enough containers and use the old screwdiver method. Punch a hole in the tank and let it drain into the containers, just be careful with any open flames or sparks in the area. I recently drained an old K-car by putting a long hose on the fuel line and sending power to the fuel pump directly from the battery, took about 15 - 20 min. to completly drain! filled 2 25 litre containers.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

True, the first thing the junkyard would do when it gets there is tear the tank off of it anyway. Smile

daedricprince
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you can do what my dad does and get a tube, suck the gas till it starts to flow and then let it gravity drain into fuel containers.

I did this with my snowmobile once and got a little fuel in my mouth but eh nothing a toothbrush and some listerine afterward couldn't fix LOL

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think the Imps have an anti-siphoning device in the fuel fill line.

If the car is going to the scrapyard, screwdriver or just remove the tank/lines.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
I think the Imps have an anti-siphoning device in the fuel fill line.

true. i just popped down the rear seat, pulled the carpet up in the trunk right at the back seat. and removed the access panel to the tank/pump think its like 10 bolts, and pumped it all out

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
brich

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dont mean to jack the thread, but on the topic of siphoning, my 2002 base impala was actually siphoned about a week ago not too much, but enough to piss me off with the price of gas here in SoCal, anyway,is there a way to put a locking mechanism on the door or some other preventative measure....yes i know if they really wanted my gas they can just drill a hole in my gas tank, but id rather have them go through trouble than just opening the hatch and taking off the cap
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

brich wrote:
dont mean to jack the thread, but on the topic of siphoning, my 2002 base impala was actually siphoned about a week ago not too much, but enough to piss me off with the price of gas here in SoCal, anyway,is there a way to put a locking mechanism on the door or some other preventative measure....yes i know if they really wanted my gas they can just drill a hole in my gas tank, but id rather have them go through trouble than just opening the hatch and taking off the cap

You can buy lockable gas caps.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: