NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - engine runs hot
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

engine runs hot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject:  engine runs hot Reply with quote

Hi everyone!!!
Soooooooo, long story short: the engine temp gauge is leaning towards the hotter side around town, and its only 65 degrees outside. The gauge floats from half to 3/4 hot, then the second I drive without stopping, the motor cools back down. Im not totally clueless, infact, I think i've learned a few things these past few years lol. I started taking it easy with the car, but Im wondering what might be going on.

I also smell coolant, but the radiator is full and reserve is at its normal fill point. (hot and cold). About a year ago I found coolant in the driveway but since then, nothing. At that time, I had the thermostat replaced, so it could just have been fluid left on the block by accident from filling the rad.

I had a friend suggest that the gaskets are wearing out. The oil is fine, and i have no oil in the coolant, so I want to throw that idea out. Am i wrong?

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had this issue with my lincoln ls. When you are driving air is going through your radiator because you are driving into it. When you are stopped the radiator fans are turned on (when the temp is about 210) which cools the radiator and prevents over heating. Next time your temp gauge is at the half way mark check to see if your your second fan is turning on... also I believe the high speed fan will turn on if you turn the ac on. If your fan is not spinning fast enough or it is completely dead then that is your problem. Another possibility is air in the coolant system, stuck thermostat, clogged radiator etc. Check the fan then post back whats up.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, my fans are operating normally, and I checked the rad cap. I have a light amount of orange gunk building up on me. None in the reserve tank. Just antifreeze. There is no oil in the coolant either.

My thermostat is 1 year old. I trust the filter mechanic to the wall, he is excellent and honest which is rare. Would the gunk build up have developed over the year after the tstat was put in? I haven't searched the site yet for this.

Edit: I have no idea when the last time my cooling system was flushed. Ive never owned a car long enough to know to flush the system. Sooooooooooo, I will search to flush the system. Im pretty sure thats the issue at hand, just needs some service.

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Read this, it will help you know how the system works if you want ->
http://www.familycar.com/class.....System.htm

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ptrfair wrote:
Well, my fans are operating normally, and I checked the rad cap. I have a light amount of orange gunk building up on me. None in the reserve tank. Just antifreeze. There is no oil in the coolant either.

My thermostat is 1 year old. I trust the filter mechanic to the wall, he is excellent and honest which is rare. Would the gunk build up have developed over the year after the tstat was put in? I haven't searched the site yet for this.

Edit: I have no idea when the last time my cooling system was flushed. Ive never owned a car long enough to know to flush the system. Sooooooooooo, I will search to flush the system. Im pretty sure thats the issue at hand, just needs some service.

I had a flush done in November of 2010 and when driving my temp gauge when from the 1/2 mark to just a notch over the quarter mark. A marked improvement. I would look into it. They're a little pricey depending on what shop you use, but is worth it IMO.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
shotokan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also look into the possibility that the water pump may be on the way out. Replaced mine last year with several of the same symptoms, impeller was not turning internally & slow coolant leak from the pump when hot ( no puddles on ground, evaporated). Eventually the weep hole started spewing coolanant all over the belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: