NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Tinting "well used" tails
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tinting "well used" tails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject:  Tinting "well used" tails Reply with quote

So I have a set of black housing tails that I want to lightly tint. I'm curious as to what grit sand paper I should start with because they have scratches all over, and some are deep enough to feel. And can I just use a random orbital sander? I'm kinda afraid to sand because I feel like I'm ruining it but I'm gonna give it a shot. Also, do I just sand more heavily to get the lettering off? If you could give me what grits I should use in order, from start to finish clear coat over the tint, that would be great. I want it as shiny and "clear" if that can be said about tinting, no hazy look. I'm going for a stock appearing look, probably two very light coats of the vht. Can post pics of the tails if that helps with judging what grit I need to use.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nobody?? Well here's some pics.. Keep in mind they look worse than in the pictures. Tried to capture the scratches but they don't look that bad in the pictures.

Basically all I want to know is a suggestion of what grit to start on and if I can use a random orbital sander, or do I have to do it by hand. And also how big of steps I can take between grits. And any other advice for a good end product

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Probably don't want to end up at less than 1000 or 1500 grit wetpaper.

I wouldn't start much less than 600 grit, maybe even 800.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Probably don't want to end up at less than 1000 or 1500 grit wetpaper.

I wouldn't start much less than 600 grit, maybe even 800.

Alright thanks! Can I do it with a sander instead of by hand? Should just the final coat be wetsanded or do I do that multiple times?

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would do it by hand...too easy to take off too much or melt the lenses with a power sander.

The only way I would use power tools is a drill with a headlight restoration kit. 3M and a couple other companies make them, and I know Harbor Freight sells a cheap one.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I might use a drill attachment or orbital for the wetsanding, since you're constantly running water to cool it and get rid of debris, but I wouldn't dry sand with a power tool - if the plastic overheats even once it can deform or discolor, and that damage doesn't sand out well.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: