NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Using 06ss rims on 04ls.. tpms ?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Using 06ss rims on 04ls.. tpms ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mltno
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject:  Using 06ss rims on 04ls.. tpms ? Reply with quote

I got some ss 18"rims and am getting ready to put them on my 04ls but I believe a couple of them didnt come with tpms sensors. searching online i dont even see these sensors for an 04 impala, so im assuming purchasing 06 sensors wouldnt work? does 04 use a different method because i have seen my light come on before? basically if i leave without sensors will i not get that annoying tire pressure light on or what do i need to do to avoid it
EDIT: Believe i found anwer the car uses the ABS sensor to detect the wheels rotation. How many rotations per minute for example. so if i leave one wheel with the sensor will it throw it off because it weighs more ?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:  Re: Using 06ss rims on 04ls.. tpms ? Reply with quote

mltno wrote:

EDIT: Believe i found anwer the car uses the ABS sensor to detect the wheels rotation. How many rotations per minute for example. so if i leave one wheel with the sensor will it throw it off because it weighs more ?

You got the basic idea. The 2000-2005 models use the wheel speed to determine if the TPMS warning activates. It's measuring the rotational speed of the wheel and when one wheel spins at a different speed, the TPMS light goes off. I wouldn't worry about the weight of a TPMS sensor throwing things out of balance.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My squad wheels are off an '07 and have the newer TPMS sensors. The car still uses the ABS to sense tire speeds and relies on that for low tire pressure readings. Any time I swap wheels/tires around, I'll get a low tire pressure message shortly after down the road, but I just reset and then all is good.

Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

why not remove the tpms sensor stems and install regular valve stems in all 4 wheels?

Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
why not remove the tpms sensor stems and install regular valve stems in all 4 wheels?

Exactly what Idid.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks was able to install them, had them leave both front tires with sensors to distribute weight on front since they would charge to remount one tire that didnt need it just to remove sensor.
I have a problem now one tire i left as is since i got it straight from a 06 ss in junkyard, other 3 were mounted and balanced but my car is veering to the left much more stronger on highway but no wobble. Problem was not there before with stock 16's is an alignment needed or could mounting be off ?

Also i looked at used tire and even though it has like 70% life i noticed what i believe is tire rot.. is this safe to drive on ?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are using junkyard tires, I'd go head and assume they are junk and that's why you are having issues.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
If you are using junkyard tires, I'd go head and assume they are junk and that's why you are having issues.

Agreed

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

only 2 are from junkyard, they already had ss rims on them and were mounted on impala that was wrecked , other one looks fine. is tire safe and could that really cause veering , i woulda thought since discount tire is so strict and they mentioned they were fine i was ok. is alignment needed since i went from 16s to 18s, it wasnt needed when i got 22s.. but when i had my 16s on again i had to get new tire rods infront so i had alignment again
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a problem like that when I first bought my car. The alignment was spot on, tires balanced etc. It ended up being one of the tires.
I rotated the tires and things were back to normal.
FYI, I rotated the front tires to the back. one at a time and did a test drive in between so that I could tell which tire was the problem child.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hoping its just a tire leak after they last checked psi was low on one, i took back in told them to switch 2 front ones and guy told me one tire was low again at 26psi but didnt remember which one it was lol... So we will see if i swerve towards right now, only issue is cracks in between tread is more then should be was told its not worse theyve seen so hopefully resolution isnt to replace tires!
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

mltno wrote:
Hoping its just a tire leak after they last checked psi was low on one, i took back in told them to switch 2 front ones and guy told me one tire was low again at 26psi but didnt remember which one it was lol... So we will see if i swerve towards right now, only issue is cracks in between tread is more then should be was told its not worse theyve seen so hopefully resolution isnt to replace tires!

Let me say this and be done. Ive been in the tire industry for over 10 years. Everything you say leads me to recommend tires; the cracks between tread ribs, the low tread, the vehicle was involved in an accident, tire pull. Don't be cheap when it comes to your safety and safety of those on the road with you. If you can't afford new tires, take the new rims off and put your old ones back on

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its hard to swallow buying matching pirelli tires when ones i have are 70% though lol but i might have to bite the bullet and take a loss on the tires, havent driven on highway after switch so this week will see.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have had good luck/bad luck with junk yard tires. In this case the dry rot on the tire may cause you no problems. However, those look pretty cracked...big pothole = game over.

It always amazes me how new tires make the car feel so good.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had pirelli pzero rosso 245/40/18's on my rims that had great tread left but were severely dry rotted. I thought they were okay until I got new tires, and what a world of a difference. Car rides much better, much better traction, especially in the rain and cornering now. Driving on dry rotted tires is asking for a problem. I'd switch them out soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: