NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - cant bleed air out of cooling system
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

cant bleed air out of cooling system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richp04impala

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:  cant bleed air out of cooling system Reply with quote

So i have the infamous water slushing in my dash, I bled the crap out of it using both bleeder screws one open a time and no matter how many times I do it I can still hear that sh*t. Ok so I kind of convinced myself that unfortunately it was the intake manifolds because I had small coolent loss...btw the car has never and still does not over heat...So long story short a couple weeks ago I changed the intake manifolds, the old plastic ones didnt look damaged or like they were allowing coolent to leak into the combustion..I flushed the cooling system like 3 times and switched to the green coolent cause i hate dexcool and bleed the hell out of the cooling system. i think i used up about 1/4 tank having he car running..then finally i get into the car to go for a drive and still got water slushing around...So i was pretty pissed, about $100 for gaskets coolent, and thermo wasted, i still have the same prob.

I love the car but its got me so pissed i got it up on craigslist

It's been a while, been bleeding it everyday and still same prob, I even drove it to work with the bleeder screw open about 10 miles did the same crap all the way here and its still doing it.. any ideas? o yea no coolent in oil, coolent is staying green, any other ? feel free to ask
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you determined that it isn't a clogged heater core?

Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So when the engine is cold, and you remove the rad cap, is it full? If not, open the bled screw and fill till it starts coming out of the bled screw.
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject:  bleed air Reply with quote

When engine is cool. take radiator cap off. Add coolant to almost full. Start and run engine. Put heater on defrost, When t-stat opens, open air bleeder, increase rpm's to 1500 or so and at that time add coolant to radiator to full (keep rpm's up). When radiator is full put radiator cap on. Let engine idle, close bleeder, add coolant to correct level in reservoir. Drive car. Should be good. Cool

richp04impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Appreciate the help everyone

with the engine cool I have filled the radiator until it spills from the bleed screw several times, problem still remains.

After i did the lim gaskets ran the car forever with cap open kept adding coolent, bleeding, running the motor at higher rpm, tried ac settings and still have the water sloshing around. Even had the front of the car jacked up high in the front and shook it as someone else suggested.

What are indications of a clogged heater core? and would it make it sound like i have water sloushing around all over the dash

My heat is hot and air is cool, im not loosing any coolent, and not overheating, it always stays a line before the middle.
ImpalaPrime
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Hyundai Sonata

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

is your heat temp gauge normal or is it up and down? i ask only because renently I had a problem close to this and it turned out my rad cap had to be replaced. new rad cap problem went away. worth a shot for the 8 bucks a cap costs

Last edited by ImpalaPrime on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:  Better radiator cap helped me get mine bled out Reply with quote

I had to replace my OEM cap a few years ago because the stop leak that I understand is installed at the factory had fouled it so badly I couldn't clean it out properly.

I've been disappointed with the aftermarket caps from moto-rad and others. They fit too tight and were difficult to get off without them coming apart. I went through 3 of them over several years. Through all the typical 3.8 coolant leaks, repairs, and cap changes, that persistent annoying slosh of coolant in the heater core kept reappearing, even after multiple times bleeding the system.

I finally got on Amazon and ordered the ac/delco cap. It was more expensive at about $12.50. My car requires the plastic threaded cap but older Impalas or aftermarket radiators may use a metal cap. I installed it and the heater core slosh went away almost immediately.

Also Make sure your coolant overflow bottle is properly filled and connected to the stem near the radiator cap so the system can uptake coolant to fill the void.
richp04impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalaprime:
temp is normal, no wierd fluctuating, only difference i have noted in temp is when switching from dexcool to the green stuff is that with dexcool the temp was always cooler, but i also replaced the thermo when i did the lim gaskets so maybe the old one was stuck open...

Snoggle:
wow never thought that might be the issue Shocked mine is plastic threaded one as well... i'll be ordering a delco one right away cause waterfalls are not relaxing when your driving! Do you happen to have the part number?

Thanks
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:  Link to cap Reply with quote

I ordered my latest acdelco one here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9S78G

Also the OEM Thermostat has a bleed hole in it. If you replaced the thermostat with one without a bleed hole that would make it difficult to get air bubbles out of the system.

Other radiator cap adventures:
Oreillys auto parts will give you a metal one if you tell them you have a 2004 impala, even though that is the incorrect cap for my car and other (maybe all) 2004 Impalas.

The aftermarket cap o rings swelled up and then when you try to remove the cap the top part comes off leaving the rest stuck in the radiator.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject:  Re: Link to cap Reply with quote

snoggle wrote:
Oreillys auto parts will give you a metal one if you tell them you have a 2004 impala, even though that is the incorrect cap for my car and other (maybe all) 2004 Impalas.

weird, mine is metal, looks nothing like the pic you linked.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:  Re: Link to cap Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
snoggle wrote:

weird, mine is metal, looks nothing like the pic you linked.

Mine is metal as well - burns the s**t out of you if you touch it.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

they may have changed over the years, I'll have to dig up some pics of my 02 + 04 to see if I can see the cap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cool ordered a Delco RC85 of of ebay 8.99 shipped! mine is plastic threaded one as well. im hoping this will fix it, will report once recieved
richp04impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So it's been two days since I received the radiator cap, once I replaced it some of the sloshing went away, or at least it seemed it did. I drove it to see if it would work its self out without trying to bleed it again but nope, still water sloshing around. I have been bleeding it since yesterday and nothing helps. I am at a loss and still pissed Confused

Any more ideas?

does anyone know where the condensation from the condenser drains? maybe something is blocked up
richp04impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bump, for some more suggestions Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: